Samba problem

Post by jah.. » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:31:21

I've been unable to use samba to connect to our company's server.

added interface ip=192.168.1.19 bcast=192.168.1.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=192.168.1.12 bcast=192.168.1.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.6 ( 192.168.1.6 )
error connecting to 192.168.1.6:139 (No route to host)
Error connecting to 192.168.1.6 (No route to host)
Connection to mgfs2 failed

This has worked without any issues for nearly a year. I'm using
redhat9. I know virtually nothing about samba... I was able to get it
to work when I inherited this machine and haven't revisted it since...
yes, I have my nose buried in the FM, but if someone could nudge me in
the right direction I would be very grateful... TIA
    Jeff

Samba problem

Post by Antoine EMERI » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:34:20

Quote:> Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.6 ( 192.168.1.6 )
> error connecting to 192.168.1.6:139 (No route to host)
> Error connecting to 192.168.1.6 (No route to host)

It doesn't seems to be a samba problem, but a network problem :

'No route to host' means you can't ping the other host, but as it give a
'positive name query response' it may be a firewall problem.

Check your host or the server firewall rules.

Regards

Samba problem

Post by Jose Maria Lopez Hernande » Sun, 29 Aug 2004 06:22:52

>>Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.6 ( 192.168.1.6 )
>>error connecting to 192.168.1.6:139 (No route to host)
>>Error connecting to 192.168.1.6 (No route to host)

> It doesn't seems to be a samba problem, but a network problem :

> 'No route to host' means you can't ping the other host, but as it give a
> 'positive name query response' it may be a firewall problem.

> Check your host or the server firewall rules.

> Regards

The 'positive name query response' says nothing about the routes,
because the name server can be in another route and the queries to the
name server can be successful, but when it tries to connect with the
other host it can't because there is no route.

--

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

http://www.bgsec.com
ESPA?A

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
                 -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

1. Samba problems: Samba not in Network Neighborhood

I have (the latest) Samba installed and have two problems that I can't
seem to solve.

First, my setup: Machine 1 is linux/samba machine.  Machine 2 is Win
95 and Machine 3 is WfWG 3.11 with TCP/IP.  They connect with
ethernet.  All machines can ping each other and the other TCP stuff
works fine.

Machines 2 and 3 can mount each other's drives and printers fine.
Machine 2 can mount the Samba shares but only after I run the "Find
Computer" tool.  It doesn't appear in the Network Neighborhood with
the other machines.

I used smbclient to verify that Machine 1 can mount look at the shares
on all three machines and the Workgroup name is the same.

I was able to drag a shortcut into network neightborhood but that's
not the same as actually being there.

A possibly related problem is machine 3, the Win 3.11 one, cannot see
the samba shares at all.  The server doesn't appear.

Is there some Samba option that I don't have enabled?  With the Win 95
machine it's only annoying not having it in the Neighborhood but it is
entirely unusable from machine 3.  This I really need to fix.

BTW: One further problem I haven't looked at too closely: All the
mounted shares are done as "pcguest" and not as the username logged in
to win 95.  I have the same username/password on both machines.  Is
there a Win 95 option somewhere I need to change?

thanks, jv

    Graphics                "Purveyors to the Froup"

2. Compaq Prolinea + Linux ?

3. Samba- Problem: path too long/ cvs- Problem: cvs import stucks

4. Intel Etherpress Pro 10/10+ driver......

5. Very strange Samba problem - please advise

6. Svgalib support for Matrox?

7. samba problem - only root can write - TIA

8. LATEX *.sty files; location?

9. samba problem

10. Samba Problem

11. Samba problem...