NFS mount fails with "RPC: program not registered"; help!

NFS mount fails with "RPC: program not registered"; help!

Post by Michael Tsuriko » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

        Hello,

        I have two Red Hat Linux systems.  One (call it A) runs 5.2, and I
just upgraded the other one (call it B) from 4 to 6.2.  Each of the two
systems exports a directory, via NFS, to the other.  As soon as I upgraded
B to 6.2, A can no longer mount B's exported directory via NFS.  When I
try "mount -t nfs ...", I get the error message "Mount: RPC: program not
registered".  Computer B has no problem getting A's exported directory via
NFS, however.

        I've looked through all the FAQs and articles I could find on
this, with not much luck.  The best I could find is that it's something
with portmap and hosts.allow / deny, but I don't know just what to do with
them.  If any of you can offer me any help, I would be most grateful.
Thanks!

--Michael Tsurikov
UT Austin Dept. of Aerospace Engineering

NFS mount fails with "RPC: program not registered"; help!

Post by patrick.them.. » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

In article

Quote:>    Hello,

>    I have two Red Hat Linux systems.  One (call it A) runs 5.2, and
> just upgraded the other one (call it B) from 4 to 6.2.  Each of the
two
> systems exports a directory, via NFS, to the other.  As soon as I
upgraded
> B to 6.2, A can no longer mount B's exported directory via NFS.  When
> try "mount -t nfs ...", I get the error message "Mount: RPC: program
not
> registered".  Computer B has no problem getting A's exported directory
via
> NFS, however.

>    I've looked through all the FAQs and articles I could find on
> this, with not much luck.  The best I could find is that it's
something
> with portmap and hosts.allow / deny, but I don't know just what to do
with
> them.

this is almost definitively NOT a problem of your hosts.whatever files,
and i guess not a portmap thing.

you might want to check that your nfs-server is running,
maybe with ps aux|grep rpc,
should have 2 processes , rpc.something and rpc.another
(i'm not at my linux machine now, its hard to remember for me :-))
you have the other machine, thats exporting properly,
compare the two.

do you know where to configure your system to start nfsserver at
boottime?
i'm not using rh, i can only guess its somewhere in linuxconf.

IF your nfs-server is up, and does not export properly,
i had a problem like that in my suse6.2version,
and i needed an upgrade for nfs-
something buggy or so....
so check rh page for any info on nfs-update.

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NFS mount fails with "RPC: program not registered"; help!

Post by Hannes L » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello Michael,

Quote:> As soon as I upgraded
>B to 6.2, A can no longer mount B's exported directory via NFS.  When I
>try "mount -t nfs ...", I get the error message "Mount: RPC: program not
>registered".  Computer B has no problem getting A's exported directory via
>NFS, however.

The message come from the server-site IMO, but you see the message by the
clients, rigth? It means: not all of services for nfs are running on the
server-site.
Make sure, that on every system you have install the same services.
First tip: use the user-space-nfs
Typ follwed on every system: rpcinfo -p
For example:

   program vers proto   port
   100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
   100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
   545580417    1   udp    675  bwnfsd
   545580417    1   tcp    677  bwnfsd
   100005    1   udp    718  mountd
   100005    2   udp    718  mountd
   100005    1   tcp    721  mountd
   100005    2   tcp    721  mountd
   100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
   100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs

You use this services:
RPC-Portmapper
RPC-mount-Daemon
RPC-NFS-Daemon

Have you this on your system, then type: rcnfsserver restart or you can
also going from init 2/3 to init 1 and then back to init 2/3.
For example:

Shutting down NFS server                                              done
Starting NFS server                                                   done

Quote:>    I've looked through all the FAQs and articles I could find on
>this, with not much luck.  The best I could find is that it's something
>with portmap and hosts.allow / deny, but I don't know just what to do with
>them.

I have also nothing found in FAQ's and so on. But i have got an idea over
night for a few weeks ;-)
The most important things are in the /etc/exports, like this example
(the server is penti333 in this example):

# See exports(5) for a description.
# This file contains a list of all directories exported to other computers.
# It is used by rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd.

#/etc/exports

/home   192.168.0.33(rw, no_root_squash)
# /home/ftp     192.168.0.33(rw)
/home   192.168.0.233(rw, no_root_squash)
# /home/ftp     192.168.0.233(rw)
/home   192.168.0.100(rw, no_root_squash)
# /home/ftp     192.168.0.100(rw)

Here you can see my /etc/fstab and i can mount with a simple type:
mount /celeron333 (for example: the client is penti333):
# Der NFS-Client mountet den Penti100:

192.168.0.100:/  /penti100        nfs             user,noauto,exec 0 0

# Der NFS-Client mountet den Penti233:

192.168.0.233:/  /penti233        nfs             user,noauto,exec 0 0

# Der NFS-Client mountet den Celeron333:

192.168.0.33:/   /celeron333      nfs             user,noauto,exec 0 0

Please test it and when it running good, you have nothing to do with
/ect/hosts.allow and deny.
Sorry about my bad english. HTH a little bit.

CU H.Lau

1. HELP: NFS mount returns "Program not registered".

I've got 2 boxes running RedHat 4.1 (kernel 2.0.28), both have
nfs-server-2.2beta16-5 installed,
nfsd & mountd running.
I want to export some directory from one machine to another.
This directory is listed in /etc/exports, the host to be exported to is
in /etc/hosts.allow
But when I issue

it says:
RPC: clntudp_create: Program not registered.

Changing  host1 into client & host2 into server makes no difference --
the same message, although
each of these machines can successfully export this directory to itself,
that is

Could anyone help me? Thank you.

Pavel Louzan

2. Newbie Qs: Kernel patching and ppp auto dialing for no (apparent) reason

3. nfs fails to work gives mount: RPC: Program not registered

4. Make can't find the files... but they're THERE!

5. showmount says "RPC: Program not registered"

6. SunOs bug

7. Error: "RPC: Program not registered"

8. Installing Linux on Mercury Motherboard

9. Openwindows filemgr give "rpc : program not registered" message

10. Networking problems, "RPC: program not registered"?

11. NFS mount problems: mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

12. Help! NFS mount: RPC: Program not registered

13. nfs mount: "getfh failed: Operation not permitted"