Option in Redhat 4.1 to 'turn on' detection of 2nd ethernet card?

Option in Redhat 4.1 to 'turn on' detection of 2nd ethernet card?

Post by Andrew Lavign » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi All.

(The below is all done with a standard RedHat 4.1 installation off of a
CDRom)

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get my newly
installed linux box to
detect a second ethernet card (the two cards are a DEC etherworks DE203
and DE205 -
both fully supported according to the documention on the Redhat CD-Rom).
I've verified
through a separate DOS program that both cards are there and have no
resource conflicts -
one is at 0x300, IRQ 5, D0000, and the other is at 0x320, IRQ 9, D0800.
I've placed the
following in /etc/conf.modules:

alias eth0 ewrk3
alias eth1 ewrk3
options ewrk3 io=0x300,0x320 irq=5,9

In this case, eth0 detects fine, but no detection of eth1.

So I put

   linux ether=0,0,eth1

At the lilo: prompt when I boot, and still get no detection.

So I put

   linux ether=320,9,eth1

At the lilo: prompt, and again no detection.

So I tried putting both

   append = "ether=0,0,eth1"

and

   append = "ether=320,9,eth1"

Into /etc/lilo.conf, to no avail.

I CANNOT SEEM TO GET IT TO SEE THE SECOND CARD.  Argh!  I've looked at
just
about every FAQ and HOWTO there is, and all say that one of the methods
above should work.
According to the RedHat documentation, the support for the second card
is in there and I don't
need to do any recompiling.  However, I am starting to think that maybe
making some kernel source
change and recompiling is my only choice.

Please.... does anyone have Redhat 4.1 working with two ethernet cards?
If so, what are the contents
of your relevant files, etc???

Thanks...
Andrew Lavigne

Option in Redhat 4.1 to 'turn on' detection of 2nd ethernet card?

Post by Andrew Lavign » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi All.

(The below is all done with a standard RedHat 4.1 installation off of a
CDRom)

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get my newly
installed linux box to
detect a second ethernet card (the two cards are a DEC etherworks DE203
and DE205 -
both fully supported according to the documention on the Redhat CD-Rom).
I've verified
through a separate DOS program that both cards are there and have no
resource conflicts -
one is at 0x300, IRQ 5, D0000, and the other is at 0x320, IRQ 9, D0800.
I've placed the
following in /etc/conf.modules:

alias eth0 ewrk3
alias eth1 ewrk3
options ewrk3 io=0x300,0x320 irq=5,9

In this case, eth0 detects fine, but no detection of eth1.

So I put

   linux ether=0,0,eth1

At the lilo: prompt when I boot, and still get no detection.

So I put

   linux ether=320,9,eth1

At the lilo: prompt, and again no detection.

So I tried putting both

   append = "ether=0,0,eth1"

and

   append = "ether=320,9,eth1"

Into /etc/lilo.conf, to no avail.

I CANNOT SEEM TO GET IT TO SEE THE SECOND CARD.  Argh!  I've looked at
just
about every FAQ and HOWTO there is, and all say that one of the methods
above should work.
According to the RedHat documentation, the support for the second card
is in there and I don't
need to do any recompiling.  However, I am starting to think that maybe
making some kernel source
change and recompiling is my only choice.

Please.... does anyone have Redhat 4.1 working with two ethernet cards?
If so, what are the contents
of your relevant files, etc???

Thanks...
Andrew Lavigne

Option in Redhat 4.1 to 'turn on' detection of 2nd ethernet card?

Post by Andrew Lavign » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hi All.

> (The below is all done with a standard RedHat 4.1 installation off of a
> CDRom)

[... stuff deleted ...]

> I CANNOT SEEM TO GET IT TO SEE THE SECOND CARD.  Argh!  I've looked at
> just
> about every FAQ and HOWTO there is, and all say that one of the methods
> above should work.
> According to the RedHat documentation, the support for the second card
> is in there and I don't
> need to do any recompiling.  However, I am starting to think that maybe
> making some kernel source
> change and recompiling is my only choice.

> Please.... does anyone have Redhat 4.1 working with two ethernet cards?
> If so, what are the contents
> of your relevant files, etc???

> Thanks...
> Andrew Lavigne

Oh yeah, one other thing...

I don't think it is a card problem because each card installed alone with
the proper resource
values is detected no problem (as 'eth0').  I've even tried an ne2000 clone
card as the second
card, and that didn't work either.

...Andrew

Post by Paul Gortmak » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

>I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get my newly
>installed linux box to
>detect a second ethernet card (the two cards are a DEC etherworks DE203
>and DE205 -
>one is at 0x300, IRQ 5, D0000, and the other is at 0x320, IRQ 9, D0800.
>I've placed the
>following in /etc/conf.modules:
>alias eth0 ewrk3
>alias eth1 ewrk3
>options ewrk3 io=0x300,0x320 irq=5,9

In this case you are caught out by the fact that the ewrk3 driver doesn't
support multiple cards per module load.  Meaning that you have to load the
driver 2x for 2 cards.  You can avoid this by building the driver into the
kernel and using an "ether=..." boot argument.  However, for modules, I
suspect something like:

alias eth0 ewrk3
alias eth1 ewrk3
options eth0 -o ewrk3-0 io=0x300 irq=5
options eth1 -o ewrk3-1 io=0x320 irq=9

will make things work, when used with "modprobe eth0 ; modprobe eth1".

Quote:>So I put
>   linux ether=0,0,eth1
>   linux ether=320,9,eth1

It is IRQ first and then I/O. And I/O must be 0x320 not just 320.

Quote:>about every FAQ and HOWTO there is, and all say that one of the methods
>above should work.
>   append = "ether=0,0,eth1"

If (and that is an important if) the driver was compiled into the kernel,
then this one would do the job. However, when using modular drivers, the
"ether=...." has no effect.  None whatsoever.  So you must do it via
/etc/conf.modules

Paul.

1. 'Unknown PCI device' and 'Keyboard timeout' with RedHat 4.1

I'm trying to get Red Hat 4.1 installed on my P200MMX PC, but it falls over at
the first hurdle. I've tried two ways to install it:

1. Create a LINUX boot disk using 'rawrite' and the supplied disk image. When
   I boot from this I get 'Loading LINUX' and about 5 dots, then it appears to
   hang.
2. Boot from a DOS disk, then run 'autoboot.bat' on the CD, which calls
   'loadlin'. This loads LINUX OK, then gives me screens of info, including 5
   lines which say 'Unknown PCI device'. Further on it says 'Keyboard timeout';
   this appears 3 times before it continues. When it gets to the 'Are you using
   a colour monitor?' screen I can't type anything. Even the numlock key
   doesn't work.

- I'm assuming in case (2) that rather than hanging the installation is sitting
  there waiting for me to enter something, but since it didn't recognise the
  keyboard I can't type anything.

My machine is a P200MMX on a SuperMicro P5 PCI motherboard (it's a Vale
Platinum SE from Evesham Micros, UK). As far as I'm aware there's nothing
strange or non-standard about it. Currently it's running Win95 OSR2. One issue
is that I'm using FAT-32, but the above problem seems to be more fundamental
than that.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I can't find any boot parameters that appear
relevant, so I'm a bit stuck what to try next.

Thanks,

Dan.

2. DOS + SCO ON HARD DRIVE > 528MB

3. pipe '|' character not working under Xfree (RedHat 4.1)

4. Redhat Sparc wants 150M Smaller needed!

5. 'find' locks up my machine - RedHat 4.1

6. Modem sharing need help

7. RedHat 4.1 doesn't see XJ10BT PCMCIA network card for ftp install

8. Am I connected to external monitor?

9. RedHat 4.1 can't see my AHA1522B SCSI card?

10. Can't force ethernet card detection

11. 2 IP on the same ethernet card on RedHat 4.1

12. WANTED: Solaris 2 equivalent to SunOS 4.1.X's 'showfh' cmd