Proxy and URL filtering

Post by M Sulliva » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone make a recommendation for a linux or other free unix based
Intel system of a freeware http proxy program that has the capability to
do url filtering. I'd like to setup a proxy server for outbound
connections at a school and am looking for ways to block certain sites.
Program names and locations are welcome.

Thank.

Proxy and URL filtering

Post by Edward Siewic » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Can anyone make a recommendation for a linux or other free unix based
> Intel system of a freeware http proxy program that has the capability to
> do url filtering. I'd like to setup a proxy server for outbound
> connections at a school and am looking for ways to block certain sites.
> Program names and locations are welcome.

Take a look at Squid and squidGuard.

Squid is an engineering project.  It's meant to demonstrate high-performance
caching through a mesh of extremely well-connected servers around the
Internet. At bottom, it's a model to demonstrate application of the Internet
standards RFC2186 (Squid *is* RFC2187). Filtering just isn't its main
purpose.  However, there'ss an add-on called "squidGuard" that does exactly
what you want.  And it's all freeware, including the updates to the
"blacklist" of dirty sites.

Three Notable Points on Squid:
(<http://www.veryComputer.com/>)

1. Squid is an engineering project funded by the National Science
Foundation (NSF) and is being developed at the National Lab for Advanced
Network Research. (<http://www.veryComputer.com/>)

2. It's freeware, intended mainly for UNIX.  (If you're running RH, it's
probably already installed on your box....)

3. It's a direct decendent from the Harvest server model.

Three Notable Points on squidGuard:
(<http://www.veryComputer.com/;):

1. Produced by a Norwegian telephone/ISP company.

2. A "blacklist" of sites is updated regularly and is available for free via
FTP.  So automating the filter update is trivial. The list is free; there's
no subscription fee.  However, it's also rather thin; any kid with a bit of
imagination isn't going to be stunned by the stock list.

3. Uses Berkeley DBM, so there's no dramatic performance penalty when using
it with huge filtering lists.

Set it up, try it out.  Resource-wise, Squid wants an increasing amount of
disk space as well as RAM and CPU as usage goes up.

Edward
--
  ESiewick'a'DigiPro.com             DigiPro Digital Productions, LLC
  Voice:  703-522-8465                   3100 North Quincy Street

Proxy and URL filtering

Post by ASTY Patric » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

You can take a look at apache and mod_eaccess:
        http://www.micronet.fr/~pasty/eaccess/

This module enables Regular Expression on URL, including HTTP method,
URI, QUERY_STRING and body content.

Hope this help,
--
ASTY Patrick
A.C.I.C.          - Tel 01.45.32.37.00

> Can anyone make a recommendation for a linux or other free unix based
> Intel system of a freeware http proxy program that has the capability to
> do url filtering. I'd like to setup a proxy server for outbound
> connections at a school and am looking for ways to block certain sites.
> Program names and locations are welcome.

> Thank.

Proxy and URL filtering

Post by John Hardi » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>You can take a look at apache and mod_eaccess:
>        http://www.micronet.fr/~pasty/eaccess/

>This module enables Regular Expression on URL, including HTTP method,
>URI, QUERY_STRING and body content.

>Hope this help,
>--
>ASTY Patrick
>A.C.I.C.          - Tel 01.45.32.37.00

>> Can anyone make a recommendation for a linux or other free unix
based
>> Intel system of a freeware http proxy program that has the
capability to
>> do url filtering. I'd like to setup a proxy server for outbound
>> connections at a school and am looking for ways to block certain
sites.
>> Program names and locations are welcome.

>> Thank.

You should also take a look at Squid:

   http://www.nlanr.net/squid/

--

 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin
 768: 0x41EA94F5 - A3 0C 5B C2 EF 0D 2C E5  E9 BF C8 33 A7 A9 CE 76

1. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

Can anyone point me to a datafile of unsavory sites to use as a basis
for proxy filtering?  I imagine there are existing lists available that
a school, for example, could use as a starting point.  Where can I find
such a list?

Please reply to me personally as well as to the newsgroup since I need
this information quickly.

Thanks!
-Anita

--
Tenon Intersystems                                       805-963-6983

Santa Barbara, CA 93101                          http://www.tenon.com

2. Newbie question: Problem with the promise Fasttrak66

3. Netcape Proxy Server and URL filtering

4. XFree 3.1.2 and CirrusGDCL54x

5. filtering proxy with anti-virus filter?

6. Do I need SDK and Workshop for C++?

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. SPELLCHECKER for Solaris 2.3

9. HOW FIREWALL WORKS WITH URL FILTERING SERVER USING UFP PROTOCOL

10. URL filtering

11. ipfw and natd and URL filter

12. Filters, Filters, where are you Filters...

13. KMail regex filters and URL clicking problems/questions