Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??

Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??

Post by Gary W. Sandvi » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Modem Connect speed for Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2
FAX/Modem

Anyone with experience in using this modem?

I just purchased a Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem.

I first removed my internal modem from my Linux server, then placed my new
modem on ttys1 which is linked to /dev/modem. The modem was recognized.
Dials out OK. I've tried to setup a string to present the connect speed
after
connecting to my ISP. But no luck to date.

I've read a lot of documentation to date, but still have not been able to
get this to work. I've checked DEJA.com with hope of some reference help.
Most leads are along the same as what I've been trying. I'm certain it is
something simple.

I've been in contact with support service at Phoebe but they are no
help.They tell me that they only support Windows systems. I mentioned that
they supply software for other platforms for this modem.  Mac, Dos and
Windows software is included with the modem. I've check the on-line docs for
the proper init but nothing. The support people said too use the W2 switch,
well there is no reference to this in my docs as to usage.

I'm hoping someone has had this same problem with a Phoebe modem. All I want
is to display my connection speed when PPP is connected.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
Regards and God Speed,

Gary

Gary W. Sandvik

309-676-0224 (fax)

Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 11:28:59 -0600, Gary W. Sandvik

>Modem Connect speed for Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2
>FAX/Modem

>Anyone with experience in using this modem?

>I just purchased a Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem.

>I first removed my internal modem from my Linux server, then placed my new
>modem on ttys1 which is linked to /dev/modem. The modem was recognized.
>Dials out OK. I've tried to setup a string to present the connect speed
>after connecting to my ISP. But no luck to date.

Isn't it ttyS1?

Quote:>.... I've check the on-line docs for
>the proper init but nothing. The support people said too use the W2 switch,
>well there is no reference to this in my docs as to usage.

ATW2 typically gives you as much information as possible about the
connection, but pppd may not have the hooks for all that, or at least not
that I have found.  However, if your modem uses fairly standard codes
(like everything except USR/3Com) you can probably go into minicom after
you disconnect and do a AT&V1 to get info about the last connect (unless
something resets your modem).

--

http://www.de-srv.com/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~cv-elgin/

Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??

Post by Gary W. Sandvi » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Thanks for the response David. Yes, it is ttyS1, just a typo on my part for
this email. :-)  I have tried the AT&V1 but still no connection speed info.
I've look at /var/log/messages, just the usual with a connect message no
speed.

I think what I will do is connect the modem to a Win/9x machine and logon
using it. Then view the connect log for this connection. It should display
all the init strings within the log.
--
Regards and God Speed,

Gary