Poor PPP throughput approx. 500 bytes/sec

Poor PPP throughput approx. 500 bytes/sec

Post by mark.. » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Help,

My through put w/ a ppp conection is consistently 300 - 600 bytes per
second. I'm running TurboLinux on a Dell 7K laptop w/ a USR 52K pcmcia
modem.

I do not have this problem using slackware 4.0/7.0. Any ideas on what I
have misconfigured?

My first thought was MRU/MTU both were set to 296. I've set them to
1500, but no spped increase is seen.

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Poor PPP throughput approx. 500 bytes/sec

Post by Daniel Bel » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

User setserial to verify and/or set your modem irq correctly and see what
happens.  I had the same problem and I assumed it couldn't be the IRQ
because the modem was dialing out.  Plug and Pray was screwing with my
settings though.  Once I decided to follow someones advice and try changing
the IRQ my throughput jumped from .7k to 4.7k per second.  If this helps,
you might have to set it LILO to set the IRQ everytime you boot up.

Daniel Bell

> Help,

> My through put w/ a ppp conection is consistently 300 - 600 bytes per
> second. I'm running TurboLinux on a Dell 7K laptop w/ a USR 52K pcmcia
> modem.

> I do not have this problem using slackware 4.0/7.0. Any ideas on what I
> have misconfigured?

> My first thought was MRU/MTU both were set to 296. I've set them to
> 1500, but no spped increase is seen.

> Thanks in Advance,

> Mark

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. How to convert Packets/sec to Bytes/sec - anybody???

I wish to determine the throughput of a given ppp or slip
link.  Using ifconfig I can obtain the numbers for the
number of packets received and transmitted.  However as
these packets are of variable size it is hard to see
how the numbers could be converted into understandable
numbers such as kb/s.

Any comments gratefully accepted!

Charlie Kempson

2. TrueType Fonts in RH6.0

3. files bytes multiple of 500

4. HELP - What Tape drive should I get ?

5. FS: Dec Alphastation 500/500 Must sell

6. Using IdentD with a Firewall

7. rom14, rom14.500, rom22.500

8. Panasonic CR-503-B(made by Matsushita-Kotobuki for Compaq) SCSI?

9. Compaq AlphaServer 500 500/333 Mhz and FreeBSD ?

10. Upgrade memory on Alphastation 500/500

11. AMD k6 500 or Celeron 500

12. Install problems w/SuSE 6.3 on AS 500/500

13. poor Throughput to x86 boxes Sol8