internet connection dies sometims after usenet connection times out

internet connection dies sometims after usenet connection times out

Post by Chris » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Sometimes when I'm downloading Usenet headers during peak hours, my connection
will time out.  After the connection times out, I often cannot reconnect to the
Internet, whether Usenet or the WWW.  If I wait for a while or I reboot, I'll
be able to reconnect.  However, it's very inconvenient to have to do either of
those things.

(I don't know if it matters at all, but I use slrn as my reader.)

Can anybody offer an explanation as to why this happens, or possibly suggest a
workaround?

To reply, remove all capital letters from my email address.

Post by Clifford Kit » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Sometimes when I'm downloading Usenet headers during peak hours, my connection
> will time out.  After the connection times out, I often cannot reconnect to the
> Internet, whether Usenet or the WWW.  If I wait for a while or I reboot, I'll
> be able to reconnect.  However, it's very inconvenient to have to do either of
> those things.

Newsgroup headers are highly compressible so that the decompressed
data comes out of the modem at a much higher rate than the compressed
data goes into the modem.  This can cause a UART flow-control problem
when the serial port UART isn't able to empty it's internal buffer
fast enough.  The problem can be exacerbated by an IDE hard disk that
keeps the interrupts off too long during IO.

You can try lowering the pppd speed option to, say, 38400, which
won't affect ftp downloads of compressed files but you might notice
a little slower WWW "surfing."  The IDE disk-tuning program hdparm
might help with the -u1 option, but read the caution in the man page
description of this.

You could also replace the serial port with one that has a UART with
a higher speed rating.

--

/* Microsoft is a great marketing organization.
 * It _has_ to be */

1. cable connection died - can't do connection anymore?

Hi,

I was running debian unstable in my system (w/ kernel 2.4.4) and use
two-way cable connection (namely adelphia cable). I used dhcp-client to
get the dynamic address to my eth0. Everything was working fine for a
long while and one day something(?) went wrong. First, I could still get
the dynamic ip, but I couldn't connect to the internet not even pinging
an address, then after the reboot (since then reboot took literally 5
min) and try dhcp-client eth0, couldn't get any ip anymore, therefore no
internet connection. I used ethereal to see what was seen in my eth0,
and I could see bunch of other stuff (like who has a.b.c.d address and
others, which was normal, I used to see them since my first day with
cable modem), but I can not get any ip and connection. Then I tried
another machine that runs win98 to see if the cable having problem,
there was a problem, but calling the technical service, they reset my
cable connection, and win98 was able to get an ip and connection was
just fine. Then I tried the debian box, there was still nothing there,
no ip, no internet connection. That made me believe that the cable box
and connection was ok, and there is something wrong in my desktop
running debian. Then I noticed that hda (where Ihad an old copy of
win95) was corrupted, and tried to format it, couldn't. I ended up
taking the disk out. Now leaving my debian in hdb as it was before, I
booted again and still no connection.

Then yesterday I rebuild the debian system from scratch again (this time
potato with kernel 2.2.19, format hdb and repartitioned) and tried
dhcp-client eth0, still no connection, ethereal can still showing bunch
of other activities, but cannot get an ip and connection, meanwhile
other computer with win98 is still function fine.

So, sorry for the long story, but I wanted show everything that I did.
Please let me know if you have anything that can help me. BTW, I had two
ethernet card in the system, I tried the whole thing with both of them.

Thanks, AS.

2. IP tunnelling and VPN

3. My Internet connection (ADSL) dies under load

4. free/commercial distribution for linux appliance

5. Internet Connection via a Network Shared Connection in RedHat 7.2

6. TERMCAP entry needed for a SUN!

7. internet connection dies with Freebsd

8. Help on installing gcc for a SparcClassic running 4.1.3

9. Internet connection dying with Speedtouch USB

10. internet connexion sharing through usb direct connexion

11. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out

12. FTP: 425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.

13. ppp: howto trace connection speed /connection time?