Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

Post by Sami Viljane » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:25:20



Hello and Happy New Year!

I have problems installing second network card in my Red Hat 7.0.

First network card (PCI) installs properly and Red Hat automatically detects
it during boot and goes into install and setup program. However I have
problems with my second network card. Model is SMC EtherEZ (8416)

If I give command ipconfig eth1 to terminal I will get following line
error fetching interface information:device not found

Since I am very newbie Linux user I need some advices if possible how to
set up card.

If this helps anything
in  etc/modules.config file shows no alias about smc-card

If I give command insmod smc-ultra or smc-ultra32

I will get result
/lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ei_open
/lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ethdev_init
/lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ei_interrupt
/lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ns_8390init

Sami Viljanen

 
 
 

Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

Post by ken_yap_210c533d_.. » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:40:55


|Hello and Happy New Year!

Already?

|If I give command insmod smc-ultra or smc-ultra32
|
|I will get result
|/lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ei_open
|/lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ethdev_init
|/lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ei_interrupt
|/lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ns_8390init

Don't use insmod, instead use modprobe which will load all dependencies
first, ultra depends on 8390.o.

 
 
 

Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

Post by Sami Viljane » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:55:33



Quote:> Already?

Yeah :)

Quote:> Don't use insmod, instead use modprobe which will load all dependencies
> first, ultra depends on 8390.o.

Well what should I give to command if I try
modprobe smc-ultra or modprobe smc-ultra32

result is
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.0:init_module : device or resourse busy
/lib/modules/..... insmod lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o failed
lib/modules/.....insmod smc-ultra failed

Sami

 
 
 

Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

Post by ken_yap_915ce040_.. » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 00:20:50


|Well what should I give to command if I try
|modprobe smc-ultra or modprobe smc-ultra32
|
|result is
|/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.0:init_module : device or resourse busy
|/lib/modules/..... insmod lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o failed
|lib/modules/.....insmod smc-ultra failed

Is this the SMC 1211? The driver is 8139too or rtl8139. Nothing to do
with the Ultra. SMC just made a clone of a Taiwanese design.

 
 
 

Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

Post by Sami Viljane » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 00:33:29




Quote:> Is this the SMC 1211? The driver is 8139too or rtl8139. Nothing to do
> with the Ultra. SMC just made a clone of a Taiwanese design.

No EtherEz I found following information (which doens't yet tell lot) about
card when I searched ethernet how to do:

SMC EtherEZ (8416)
Status: Supported, Driver Name: smc-ultra (+8390)

This card uses SMC's 83c795 chip and supports the Plug 'n Play
specification. It also has an SMC Ultra compatible mode, which allows it to
be used with the Linux Ultra driver. For best results, use the SMC supplied
program (avail. from their www/ftp site) to disable PnP and configure it for
shared memory mode. See the above information for notes on the Ultra driver.

For v1.2 kernels, the card had to be configured for shared memory operation.
However v2.0 kernels can use the card in shared memory or programmed I/O
mode. Shared memory mode will be slightly faster, and use less CPU resources
as well.

Sami

 
 
 

Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

Post by ken_yap_7d6e1842_.. » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 00:40:30


|No EtherEz I found following information (which doens't yet tell lot) about
|card when I searched ethernet how to do:
|
|SMC EtherEZ (8416)
|Status: Supported, Driver Name: smc-ultra (+8390)

Ok, a couple of things. Using SMC's utility, configure non-PnP with good
IO and IRQs that don't clash with anything else. Configure your BIOS to
route the IRQ line to the ISA bus.

 
 
 

Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

Post by Sami Viljane » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 01:31:51




Quote:> |No EtherEz I found following information (which doens't yet tell lot)
about
> |card when I searched ethernet how to do:
> |
> |SMC EtherEZ (8416)
> |Status: Supported, Driver Name: smc-ultra (+8390)

> Ok, a couple of things. Using SMC's utility, configure non-PnP with good
> IO and IRQs that don't clash with anything else. Configure your BIOS to
> route the IRQ line to the ISA bus.

Thanks

That helped a lot when I disapled pnp using SMC's utility and set free irq
and io.
Then I just had to add
alias eth1 smc-ultra
options smc-ultra io=0x0260 irq=7
to /etc/modules.config file.

I hope this will sometimes help someone.

Sami

 
 
 

Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

Post by bd » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 07:43:44



> Hello and Happy New Year!

> I have problems installing second network card in my Red Hat 7.0.

> First network card (PCI) installs properly and Red Hat automatically
> detects it during boot and goes into install and setup program. However I
> have problems with my second network card. Model is SMC EtherEZ (8416)

> If I give command ipconfig eth1 to terminal I will get following line
> error fetching interface information:device not found

> Since I am very newbie Linux user I need some advices if possible how to
> set up card.

> If this helps anything
> in  etc/modules.config file shows no alias about smc-card

> If I give command insmod smc-ultra or smc-ultra32

> I will get result
> /lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ei_open
> /lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ethdev_init
> /lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ei_interrupt
> /lib/module/2.2.16-22/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol  ns_8390init

> Sami Viljanen

Err... Are you sure you cross-posted enough?

Anyway, try using modprobe insead of insmod, it'll take care of the
unresolved symbol errors for you.

 
 
 

1. Problems with SMC Elite16 Ethernet Card (not a newbie question)

I have some  problems with a SMC Ethernetcard. It seems not to be a newbie
question. When ftp from our University down to my home box via an ISDN-Link
I get a performance of 7 kb/secs but when I ftp from my home box to our
University I just get a performance of nearly nothing. Many packages
seems to get lost. When I look at the hashes I see about 11Kb transfered and
then waiting for a long time (timeout??) then another 11Kb will be
transfered and so on. I've got the following configuration:

           386/40 Mhz 16 MB Ram
           Adaptec 1542B
           ET4000
           SMC Elite 16     IRQ 15, 280, D0000-D3fff
           AST-4-Port       IRQ 5
           Serialcard with 2x16550
           Serialcard with only the parallel ports in use

           Linux 0.99.10
           net-2

Can anyone help ????

Regards

    Marvin

--
  _ _ _                     |   Christian Bode, Aachen, FRG


 / ' (_(_/_/ (_(__)_/_/ /   |                  
----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
            Don't ask me ! It only would depress me !

2. Functions in awk

3. Newbie - Need to install a SMC WD8013 Network Card (Suse)

4. Initcall depends

5. Newbie trouble with SMC network card

6. CGI-parser

7. Acces lost to a remote unix server FreeBSD 2.2.7

8. Redhat 7.1 and SMC 1211 network card on ix86 PC

9. SMC Etherpower Cardbus Network Card (PCMCIA) on RedHat 5.1

10. Newbie: Install network card in Mandrake 7.0

11. Network cards and RedHat 7.0

12. redhat 7.0 and 3com 3c905b network card