Connect to ISP fail. Tried everything. Help. Please.

Connect to ISP fail. Tried everything. Help. Please.

Post by Stephen_Cha » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

I am real confused about how to make a PPP connection to my ISP.
I do the following on the command line:

pppd connect 'chat "" atdt5551212 name: myname word: mypass' /dev/modem
38400 mru 296 lock debug crtscts modem defaultroute

and it seems to work but after about 3 minutes the modem hangs up.
Log file says something about script failed and I don't see a
default route when I check route. I think I have the chat portion
setup right because it does connect, but I am sure my pppd is setup
wrong.

All I have to relate to is the way WIN95 connects. The thing I don't
get is in WIN95 I setup TCPIP with a gateway address and a couple of
DNS addresses and also a host and domain name. What's the equivalent
in Linux.

Another puzzle is my Linux box has a network card with an internal
address and is running DNS. I've been trying to learn Unix networking.
However my Linux box is not connected to a LAN or anything, just a
machine by itself. What I don't get is how routing is done. How does
an app know when to use my DNS and when to use my ISP DNS. Also what
about gateway, my NIC or PPP.

I know I have ask many wrong questions. Please, somebody help.

Thanks in advance
Stephen

Slackware 3.4

PS. Connecting to ISP using PPP has to be the number one problem
       for many Linux user. I have tried using Redhat 4.2. No luck as well.

Post by Ashwin Biha » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello:

> I am real confused about how to make a PPP connection to my ISP.
> I do the following on the command line:

> pppd connect 'chat "" atdt5551212 name: myname word: mypass' /dev/modem
> 38400 mru 296 lock debug crtscts modem defaultroute

> and it seems to work but after about 3 minutes the modem hangs up.
> Log file says something about script failed and I don't see a
> default route when I check route. I think I have the chat portion
> setup right because it does connect, but I am sure my pppd is setup
> wrong.

Go to my site at http://welcome.to/linuxresources and go to Newbie
Info->PPP Tutroail.

Quote:> PS. Connecting to ISP using PPP has to be the number one problem
>        for many Linux user. I have tried using Redhat 4.2. No luck as well.

I realize, thats why I wrote the PPP Tutorial, and many people have gotten
their PPP setup with it..Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

| NOTE: The E-mail address on top has been mangled to stop Spam Bots..please  |
|       use the address in this box for replying.                             |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Connect to ISP fail. Tried everything. Help. Please.

Post by Clifford Ki » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi-

If you have an existing default route setup to point to your ethernet then
pppd won't replace it with it's own even with the "defaultroute" option.
I would like to see a pppd option to force it to replace an existing
route but currently there is none.

One solution is to remove the existing default permanently.  Another
would be to take it down just before pppd comes up and to replace it
after pppd goes down.  You should be able to do this in the ip-up and
ip-down scripts.  In ip-up you would have to take the ethernet default
route down and then bring up the ppp default route.  In ip-down you only
have to restore the ethernet default route since the ppp interface is
no longer present after the ppp link is broken.

===

><cut>
>> Go to my site at http://welcome.to/linuxresources and go to Newbie
>> Info->PPP Tutroail.
><cut>
>Thanks Ashwin, I downloaded your tutorial and give it a try. The
>connection went well, I can tell because my ISP did not hang up.
>However, I am still having problem talking to anyone outside my
>box. When I ping an external address for example "www.netscape.com",
>my box can't find it.
>When I do a route there's my eth0 and my lo, shouldn't I see ppp0
>or something as well? I have an ethernet card in my Slackware 3.4
>box and I am running my own DNS for learning purpose. My box isn't
>connected to a LAN.

[snip]
--
Clifford Kite                                              Not a guru. (tm)

1. SB PCI 128 no sound ... tried everything ... please help

I visited several FAQ and newbie sites and read everthing I could but still
can't get my SB PCI 128 working.

The sndconfig utitlity recognizes the card as an ES1371 which is normal and
installs it properly, but no sample sound comes out and I can't play any
sound files.

I'm running Red Hat 6.2.  Anyone had a similar experience and could shed
some light?

2. Disabling screensaver temporarily

3. HELP: trying to connect to ISP via pppd

4. HELP HELP HELP CAN'T LOG IN!!!! AIIIGGHHH!!!!

5. eth0 FAILED on 3c509, RH 6.2, tried everything?

6. unexpected busfree with DLT

7. RH6.1 3c509 cable dhcp fails - I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING

8. PCMCIA MODEM: IBM 56KV90 COMPATIBLE?

9. Still having PPP ,isp connect problems, please help me !!

10. PLEASE HELP How can I connect to my ISP?

11. My modem connects to FreeBSD but mot ISP's NT box, please help ???

12. Please help novice connect Sco 5.0.4 to ISP