automatic connection with backup lines

Post by Peter S.J » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

We developed an SDK package that runs in NT and controls RRAS
connections in our officess networks . But after all, we still have
some annoying problems you now, even, in some situations we have to
reset any machine because the RRAS service fails to use a demand-dial
connection, (and don't reconnect with it in any way) ..... UGH!!!##

So, we want to know how difficult would be work with Linux.

What do we need?

Connect our officess networks in a ring,

In case a telephone line fails use one or two backup lines to connect
to the loosed node or to the next node in the ring.

When a main line is UP again, disconnect the backup lines
automatically.

We need some intelligent decisions: priorities, reduce double active
backup lines to only one between two nodes, etc, etc.

Are there any software, packages or information in Linux that helps us
to accomplish this?

We are not afraid to program if its necessary, but any ideas would be
helpful.

P.S.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

automatic connection with backup lines

Post by MaX Serie » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

You may want to look at setting up a linux box with two or more
modems and use line balanceing

Quote:> Hi,

> We developed an SDK package that runs in NT and controls RRAS
> connections in our offices's networks . But after all, we still have
> some annoying problems. you now, even, in some situations we have to
> reset any machine because the RRAS service fails to use a demand-dial
> connection, (and don't reconnect with it in any way) ..... UGH!!!##.

> So, we want to know how difficult would be work with Linux.

> What do we need?

> Connect our offices's networks in a ring,

> In case a telephone line fails use one or two backup lines to connect
> to the loosed node or to the next node in the ring.

> When a main line is UP again, disconnect the backup lines
> automatically.

> We need some intelligent decisions: priorities, reduce double active
> backup lines to only one between two nodes, etc, etc.

> Are there any software, packages or information in Linux that helps us
> to accomplish this?

> We are not afraid to program if it's necessary, but any ideas would be
> helpful.

> P.S.

automatic connection with backup lines

Post by Bennet » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I wrote a small program called ifmon that watches a specified interface
and executes a desired command should the interface disappear.  It was
originally intended to monitor a point-to-point connection and re-dial
it when the connection was broken.  I have used this to facilitate
keeping a VPN connection alive using Linux.

Quote:> Hi,

> We developed an SDK package that runs in NT and controls RRAS
> connections in our offices's networks . But after all, we still have
> some annoying problems. you now, even, in some situations we have to
> reset any machine because the RRAS service fails to use a demand-dial
> connection, (and don't reconnect with it in any way) ..... UGH!!!##.

> So, we want to know how difficult would be work with Linux.

> What do we need?

> Connect our offices's networks in a ring,

> In case a telephone line fails use one or two backup lines to connect
> to the loosed node or to the next node in the ring.

> When a main line is UP again, disconnect the backup lines
> automatically.

> We need some intelligent decisions: priorities, reduce double active
> backup lines to only one between two nodes, etc, etc.

> Are there any software, packages or information in Linux that helps us
> to accomplish this?

> We are not afraid to program if it's necessary, but any ideas would be
> helpful.

> P.S.

"How do you re-dial a lost Internet connection?"

Try ifmon - The Interface Monitor
http://users.desupernet.net/a42n8k9/ifmon

1. Automatic Backups -- or automatic in general. :)

I'd like my LinuxPPC system, running Kernel 2.2.18 (RedHat distribution) to
be able to do (incremental) backups on its own at 4:00AM, a la Restrospect
Express on the Mac side.  The preferred format of storage would be bzip2'd
tarballs, saved to either my CD-RW or a Zip250.

Is there any way to reliabaly do this?  I'm assuming I have to start up some
"infinite" process in the background during the startup phase.

Also, what kind of permissions would I need to access the Zip250/CD-RW for
*writing*?  Would a simple

        chmod g=rwx /dev/cdrw
        chgrp backup /dev/cdrw

work, and I could assign the backup process to group "backup"?  Or do
background processes usually run as ROOT?

TIA!

-patrick

--

http://www.tendim.cjb.net/
Like anime?   Got hotline?

2. XDM will not read .profile

3. Linux permanent Line (connection two linux machines over a leased line (permanent telephone line)

4. best print server - hp or axis?

5. backup products for oracle on-line backup

6. Treiber für AAA-Controller

7. On-line/Off-line long-term power backup

8. SCO 5.0 mail and UUCP

9. auto re-connection of a slip line if connection broken?

10. Automatic backups

11. automatic backups on a Solaris machine -- How?

12. Automatic backup to tape

13. Making a automatic backup on a system always at use.