Problem w/ DEC205 (ewrk3) net card - eth0 (probe ok but not ping)

Problem w/ DEC205 (ewrk3) net card - eth0 (probe ok but not ping)

Post by Glen » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Ok,  after 3 installs and 1 recompiled of the kernel.  I need help!
My network card - DEC205 Etherworks 3 is recognized during boot showing
hardware address, io address and IRQ for eth0.  But, when I try to ping
other desktops in the LAN I get "Network unreachable".   I am able to ping
the local IP address.
Using 10base2 (coaxial) network.

The card works from a DOS IP network boot floppy.  Ping is successful
I have tried a 2 known good cards.
I have removed all other cards execpt for IDE ctlr, video and NIC.

I have seen a message somewhere that others have had problems with this
card.

Any suggestions???

....Glenn

Problem w/ DEC205 (ewrk3) net card - eth0 (probe ok but not ping)

Post by Malwar » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi Glenn,

> hardware address, io address and IRQ for eth0.  But, when I try to ping
> other desktops in the LAN I get "Network unreachable".   I am able to ping
> the local IP address.

You are using Linux 2.0.xx and forget to set the network-route? The
network route can be added by the command:

route add -net <net-address> netmask <netmask>

If you do not know what's the net-address so plz read the NET-3-Howto.

Malware

Post by Glenn Eldridg » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Hi Glenn,

>> hardware address, io address and IRQ for eth0.  But, when I try to ping
>> other desktops in the LAN I get "Network unreachable".   I am able to
ping
>> the local IP address.

>You are using Linux 2.0.xx and forget to set the network-route? The
>network route can be added by the command:

>route add -net <net-address> netmask <netmask>

>If you do not know what's the net-address so plz read the NET-3-Howto.

>Malware

Malware,

Thanks for the reply.   A lot of my frustraction is the HOWTO docs are not
helping.  I've tried "route add ..." many times and I also checked
/etc/sysconfig/network to verify it's insertion.  I'm thinking that one of
the network layers is not communicating to the next.  I've studied the
network layers for Windows NT but don't have a clue how to check them in
Linux.

I appreciate your help and welcome any suggestions you may have!

....Glenn

Problem w/ DEC205 (ewrk3) net card - eth0 (probe ok but not ping)

Post by Malwar » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi Glenn,

> Thanks for the reply.   A lot of my frustraction is the HOWTO docs are not
> helping.  I've tried "route add ..." many times and I also checked
> /etc/sysconfig/network to verify it's insertion.  I'm thinking that one of

This way we are stuck. Plz post the output of "ifconfig -n eth0" and
"route -n".

Malware

Problem w/ DEC205 (ewrk3) net card - eth0 (probe ok but not ping)

Post by Glenn Eldridg » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Problem solved!

This is a bit embarrassing...  The Linux box was configured correctly.  But,
I found that PC I was using to test connectivity had an incorrect IP
address.

For those reading this that are looking for hints read the below:

If you are not using routing and want all PCs to have connectivity, make
sure that the netmask is the same for all PCs.
Then make sure that you match the IP address with the netmask. Example:  if
you have 255.255.255.0 as a netmask, your IP net address on all PCs in this
non-routed network will need to have the same starting number (I believe
called octets).  This is very important!

Further example...
The problem was this:

Linux netmask - 255.255.255.0
Linux IP address - 192.168.1.1

2nd PC netmask - 255.255.255.0
2nd PC IP address - 192.168.2.1  (this address should have been 192.168.1.2)

I hope this helps someone!
Thanks to Malware and Jon Niehof for your assistance!  Your questions helped
my research...

Glenn

>Hi Glenn,

>> Thanks for the reply.   A lot of my frustraction is the HOWTO docs are
not
>> helping.  I've tried "route add ..." many times and I also checked
>> /etc/sysconfig/network to verify it's insertion.  I'm thinking that one
of

>This way we are stuck. Plz post the output of "ifconfig -n eth0" and
>"route -n".

>Malware

1. Problem w/ DEC205 (ewrk3) net card - eth0 (probe ok but not ping)

Ok,  after 3 installs and 1 recompiled of the kernel.  I need help!

My network card - DEC205 Etherworks 3 is recognized during boot showing
hardware address, io address and IRQ for eth0.  But, when I try to ping
other desktops in the LAN I get "Network unreachable".
I am able to ping the local IP address.
LAN uses 10base2 (coaxial) network.

The card works from a DOS IP network boot floppy.  Ping is successful.
I have tried a 2 known good cards.
I have removed all other cards except for IDE ctlr, video and NIC.

I have seen a message somewhere that others have had problems with this
card.

Any suggestions???

.....Glenn

2. free pop3 client for sunos 5.6/5.7 ?

3. Ping ok, netscape, gftp, lynx not ok

4. oct

5. Name resolution - ping ok, ftp not ok

6. Epoch Date Converter

7. Problem: multiple net cards + warm boot = one net card???

8. Problems compiling 1.2.13 kernel with gcc 2.7.2--PLEASE HELP

9. nslookup ok but can't ping (or net browse)

10. Printcap OK, Postscript OK, together NOT OK - HELP!

11. Modem Problems: dial-out is ok/dial-in is not ok (Solaris 2.6)

12. cli()/sti() fix for drivers/net/ewrk3.c