Wavelan/ISA bridge probs

Post by Pisch » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hey all,

   I'm in the process of trying to install a Wavelan Silver Turbo card,
along with a PCMCIA-to-ISA bridge, in my linux box. I downloaded the
latest pcmcia package and Wavelan drivers, built and installed them, but
the Wavelan card isn't being recognized. It always shows up as "Anonmous
Memory Device".
   I'm running a fairly stock installation of Redhat 6.1, on a vanilla
P166 box. I know that the Wavelan card works, because I've used it
successfully on a Powerbook, and I know that the bridge works (with the
card), because I've used it under Winblows on the same P166 box.
   Any thoughts? TIA.

-pischke

Wavelan/ISA bridge probs

Post by Pisch » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

   Disregard. I sorted it out. Turned out to be an IRQ problem that just
required a minor tweak to the BIOS to fix.

-pischke

> Hey all,

>    I'm in the process of trying to install a Wavelan Silver Turbo card,
> along with a PCMCIA-to-ISA bridge, in my linux box. I downloaded the
> latest pcmcia package and Wavelan drivers, built and installed them, but
> the Wavelan card isn't being recognized. It always shows up as "Anonmous
> Memory Device".
>    I'm running a fairly stock installation of Redhat 6.1, on a vanilla
> P166 box. I know that the Wavelan card works, because I've used it
> successfully on a Powerbook, and I know that the bridge works (with the
> card), because I've used it under Winblows on the same P166 box.
>    Any thoughts? TIA.

> -pischke

1. Bridging with Wavelan or Fiber P to P link

I have two ethernet lans made up of several Linux machines.  I have
them tied together with a point to point Wavelan as shown below.
I have a part of a class C network assigned to me, just a few
consecutive
address in the x.x.x.150-160 range with access to the internet from one
of the lans.

    ethernet 1                               Ethernet 2
       | Linux A                          Linux B |
       |                                          |
       | Linux C  Wavelan -------Wavelan  Linux D |
       |          (too far for ethernet)          |
      Cisco router                        Linux E |
      to Internet

Note that machines C and D have two cards each, an ethernet and a
Wavelan.
These two machines are general purpose workstations, not dedicated just
to being bridges.
The question: is there a practical way to make machine B, D, and E
appear to be on the same network as machine A and C.  Presently I'm
using
the 192.168.X.X  psudo addresses for the wavelan and machine B,D,and E.
I can telnet from machine to machine, but I'd like to have direct
address
resolution for all of the machines.  Is subnetting the class C the only
solution?  IF so, how does one subnet out of such a small block of
addresses
Or is there software for Linux which will make the wavelans look
like a bridge?  I realize I could use the "linux Bridge" software if I
dedicated two more machines for this job only.   I guess the situation
would be the same if the Wavelans were replaced with fiber ethernet
cards.

Suggestions?

Lou Boyd
Fairborn Observatory

2. What is "pstat"?

3. Linux as Wavelan<->Wire Bridge ?

4. Ensoniq audioPCI in 2.1.115

5. Solved: WaveLan/Orinoco pci/pcmcia bridge problem (long)

6. Fastest Linux Router to date?

7. Problem with Wavelan 2.4GHz ISA card [NWID]

8. Help with DNS server

9. WE-16 for Wavelan ISA driver

10. Wavelan ISA driver ?

11. Isa wavelan & RedHat 9 problem

12. Wavelan ISA Gold card setup

13. Orinoco wavelan, ISA-PCMCIA adapter on linux