Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

Post by caracen » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:58:26

Dear Network Gurus,

Help.

I'm a Linux Newbie trying to make SuSE Linux Pro. 7.3 understand that
I have a NetGear wireless network card in my computer,
accessing a perfectly good ATTBI internet connect,
that runs perfectly in Windows XP on the dual boot system.
Any pointers or tips for making SuSE Linux 7.3 access my internet
connection?

This is one of the most important Linux issues to me because I would
really like to access the internet in Linux.

Thank you.

Michael Caracena

Post by John » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:51:40

> Dear Network Gurus,

> Help.

> I'm a Linux Newbie trying to make SuSE Linux Pro. 7.3 understand that
> I have a NetGear wireless network card in my computer,
> accessing a perfectly good ATTBI internet connect,
> that runs perfectly in Windows XP on the dual boot system.
> Any pointers or tips for making SuSE Linux 7.3 access my internet
> connection?

> This is one of the most important Linux issues to me because I would
> really like to access the internet in Linux.

> Thank you.

> Michael Caracena

The procedure for getting your network card working is to identify the
card and what chipset it uses. Once you've done that, you will have to
get the appropriate drivers for it.

--

John
----------------------------

Post by caracen » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 05:44:00

> The procedure for getting your network card working is to identify the
> card and what chipset it uses. Once you've done that, you will have to
> get the appropriate drivers for it.

> --

> John

Thanks for the info.

I have a NetGear MA301 Wireless PCI adapter and
a NetGear MA401 Wireless PC card.
I'm actually not sure what chipset it uses ( Prism2.5? ) so
I'm unsure about what to do next.

Sincerely,

Michael Caracena

Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

Post by Peter B. Steige » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 03:46:29

on 20 Nov 2002, Michael Caracena sez:

Quote:> I have a NetGear MA301 Wireless PCI adapter and
> a NetGear MA401 Wireless PC card.
> I'm actually not sure what chipset it uses ( Prism2.5? ) so
> I'm unsure about what to do next.

Found it!  That uses the Hermes chipset, supported by the Orinoco drivers
in wavelan_cs.o.  So try modprobe wavelan_cs and see what happens, or, if
you are recompiling the kernel specifically for your hardware, go into
Network Device Support / Wireless LAN (non-hamradio) / Hermes chipset
802.11b support.  I selected the help screen for that driver and it says:

You will also very likely also [sic] need the Wireless Tools in order to
configure your card and that /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts works:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
<<

So... good luck, and may The Force be with you.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot
canada (or vice-versa).  All adverti*ts will be
returned to your postmaster, eh!

Post by PRS » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 05:53:12

> > The procedure for getting your network card working is to identify the
> > card and what chipset it uses. Once you've done that, you will have to
> > get the appropriate drivers for it.

> > --

> > John

> Thanks for the info.

> I have a NetGear MA301 Wireless PCI adapter and
> a NetGear MA401 Wireless PC card.
> I'm actually not sure what chipset it uses ( Prism2.5? ) so
> I'm unsure about what to do next.

> Sincerely,

> Michael Caracena

Have you read any of the numerous howto's explaining exactly how to do this
kind of thing??

check out
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

Paul

Post by caracen » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 02:18:29

> > > The procedure for getting your network card working is to identify the
> > > card and what chipset it uses. Once you've done that, you will have to
> > > get the appropriate drivers for it.

> > > --

> > > John

> > Thanks for the info.

> > I have a NetGear MA301 Wireless PCI adapter and
> > a NetGear MA401 Wireless PC card.
> > I'm actually not sure what chipset it uses ( Prism2.5? ) so
> > I'm unsure about what to do next.

> > Sincerely,

> > Michael Caracena

> Have you read any of the numerous howto's explaining exactly how to do this
> kind of thing??

> check out
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

> Paul

No, not yet.
I don't even know how to mount the cdrom yet. 8=)
( I'm sure the FAQs will help me with that problem. )

I'm going to give up on it for now because I still have a lot to learn about
the OS.
Hopefully, I can get a "normal" ethernet networking card to work so
I can access information online.
( I'm looking forward to the day when loading new drivers will be easier on
Linux. )

Thanks everyone for your help.

Michael Caracena

Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

Post by caracen » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 04:11:04

This is were reality gets strange,
KNOPPIX works very well with my hardware - Netgear MA301 with a MA401 card.
That is, I can browse the internet from my computer!
Now if only I can get what's on the CD onto my computer's hard drive ...

Michael Caracena

Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

Post by Alexander Mau » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 04:30:02

Michael Caracena schrieb:

Quote:> This is were reality gets strange,
> KNOPPIX works very well with my hardware - Netgear MA301 with a MA401 card.
> That is, I can browse the internet from my computer!
> Now if only I can get what's on the CD onto my computer's hard drive ...

If you can't figure it out, just try to contact the author... :-)
His name is Klaus Knopper and he's a member of the "Linux Tag e.V.",
Europe's biggest Linux convention.
Just try out: http://www.knoppix.de

:-)

Post by fast » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 08:12:17

> This is were reality gets strange,
> KNOPPIX works very well with my hardware - Netgear MA301 with a MA401
> card. That is, I can browse the internet from my computer!
> Now if only I can get what's on the CD onto my computer's hard drive ...

> Michael Caracena

From the FAQ:

Q: Can one also install the distribution from the CD onto a hard drive?

A: In principal, yes (after all, the "master" system also runs on a hard
drive before it is burned to CD). However there is currently no
installation GUI for this, so installation to a hard drive should probably
only be attempted by more knowledgeable Linux users. Assuming the KNOPPIX
system has already booted, installation approximately follows this
procedure:
1.) initialize a free partition with the ext2 file system and mount it on
    /mnt/knoppix, for example.
2.) cp -a /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/knoppix/
3.) set up /mnt/knoppix/etc/fstab and /mnt/knoppix/etc/lilo.conf for the
    new system (Caution: symlinks in /boot initially point to the Ram
        disk!), run lilo.
4.) mkdir /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix && \
        chown knoppix.knoppix /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix
5.) Reboot, try the system out, fix any broken settings.
(No guarantees.)

--
Microsoft is not the answer, it is the question. The answer is NO!!!