Samba on NT domain, Unable to join domain

Samba on NT domain, Unable to join domain

Post by new_studen » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Help, got the same problem.
Can access 9x shared machines but not NT machine

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by Steve Cowle » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Help, got the same problem.
> Can access 9x shared machines but not NT machine

> > I have Samba set up on a RH 6.0 box, 3c509, in an NT domain.

> > I have the security=domain, encrypted password, and worgroup=MYDOMAIN
> > installed along with the password server = MY_PDC, yet I can't seem to be
> > able to join the domain.
> > I initialized the machine name on the PDC like it says in the DOCS, but
> > when I type:

> > "smbpasswd -j MYDOMAIN -r MY_PDC"  I get the following error:

> >  modify_trust_password: machine MY_PDC rejected the session setup. Error
> > was : code 131.
> >  1999/09/08 22:35:14 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
> > password for domain MYDOMAIN.
> >  Unable to join domain MYDOMAIN.

> > If this helps, I can browse the shares on a Win95 box using any password,

> >  session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

> > When I try to browse the shares on a WinNT machine
> > (server=BDC/other or workstation) It asks me for a password, and my
> > password doesn't work (even though it's right) and prints:

> > When I try to browse the shares on the Primary WinNT server (PDC), I get
> > the following error before the password prompt:

> >  session request to MY_PDC failed
> >  session request to *SMBSERVER failed

> > I'm stuck.  Please help. Thanks!

Everytime I have tried the "security=domain" config, I have had the same error messages.
But it does work. The key to joining ro an NT domain (at least this has worked for me) is
to...

1) Shutdown Samba on the the Linux box. (temporaroly)
2) Remove/Delete the Workstation Account from PDC.
3) Wait 15-20 minutes for the Workstation account to dissappear from NT server manager.
You should get a message that states that when you delete the account.
4) Make sure you do not have the following files in /etc DOMAIN.HOSTNAME.mac, MACHINE.sid.
Note the DOMAIN will be replaced with the name of your NT Domain and the HOSTNAME will be
the hostname of your Linux PC. IF you were never able to join to your NT domain then these
files should not exist.

Once your sure that the server name no longer exists in server manager, then re-create the
server manager workstation account and then follow the instructions in the docs directory.
I have had to do the above everytime I have tried to join to an NT domain. Again, I got
the same error messages. I think what is happening is Samba is registering with the WINS
server thus creating the "temp" workstation entry in server manager (which should
disappear when you turn off your linux PC). By shutting down Samba first (unregistering)
and then ensuring that your workstation account does not exist in server manager, you
should have success.

The "security=domain" is the best option the developers ever put into Samba. Works great!
once you have successfully joined to your NT domain <groan>. Also, you should be able to
look at your samba workstation through NT's Server Manager. i.e. Display Users, Shares,
In-Use properites, etc.... The following is my smb.conf file for reference. My PDC is
called DEFIANT and is also the WINS server at 192.168.9.2. My NT Domain is called COWLES.

Good luck
Steve Cowles

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = COWLES
        server string = Linux Server
        interfaces = 192.168.9.1/24
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = defiant
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        os level = 33
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.9.2
        remote announce = 192.168.9.255
        hosts allow = 192.168.9.0/24

1. Samba on NT domain, Unable to join domain

[...]

2. Software sugestions

3. Samba Joining NT Domain

4. 2.4.1,-ac9,-ac13: lockup after "now booting the kernel"

5. Joining NT Domain with Samba

6. Linux guest FTP setup... HELP please!

7. Samba: How to join an NT domain?

8. NYC Unix Admin to 85K

9. Using Samba to join an NT domain.

10. pptp - obsd2.9 to nt domain, come in nt domain, over

11. Synchronizing a NT domain with NT 4.0 and Samba servers.

12. Samba : cannot access Samba server via NT Domain.

13. samba does not join domain