ppp connection to ISP

Post by sylvest » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

hi, i'm trying to connect to my isp for a while now,
i have been able to use minicom to connect to my ips and
logon with name and password,
once i log on i get a message saying
your ip is   ***.***.***.*** < some ip
mru is  *** some number,

once that happens if i press any key the ppp
session starts and i'm able to see a  bunch of [][]]{}{|&*##%
on my screen,
next i quit minicon without reseting the modem and from shell i type
pppd to start the ppp session,  once i do that 3,4 seconds after my
modem disconnects,
i have ppp compiled in my kernel,
i use a pnp modem but i'm able to dail in, is it  a problem with
modem?   help
thanks,    redhat 5,

ppp connection to ISP

Post by Particle M » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: hi, i'm trying to connect to my isp for a while now,
: i have been able to use minicom to connect to my ips and
: logon with name and password,
: once i log on i get a message saying
: your ip is   ***.***.***.*** < some ip
: mru is  *** some number,

: once that happens if i press any key the ppp
: session starts and i'm able to see a  bunch of [][]]{}{|&*##%
: on my screen,
: next i quit minicon without reseting the modem and from shell i type
: pppd to start the ppp session,  once i do that 3,4 seconds after my
: modem disconnects,
: i have ppp compiled in my kernel,
: i use a pnp modem but i'm able to dail in, is it  a problem with
: modem?   help
: thanks,    redhat 5,

How are you starting pppd?

You need to give pppd parameters that tell it what serial device to
run the protocal over.

I use

        /usr/sbin/pppd ttyS0

where ttyS0 is equivalent to COM1 under windows (I think).  At any rate
you can also give pppd parameters such as the bit rate and whether you
are using hardware flow control, which I use.

Collin

--
Collin VanDyck                    | Trying to make a woman
CS Major, Georgia Tech            |   match your moves

ppp connection to ISP

Post by sylvest » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

i thought that those were defined in the options file,
i have also tried to do it that way  by starting pppd /dev/modem <
which is linked to my proper com port, but that didn't change
anything,
also after typing pppd i quickly typed the ifconfig command to see if
the ppp0 device would be on but all i get is the lo:  device showin
up, no sign of ppp0,

ppp connection to ISP

Post by Soren Riis » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> hi, i'm trying to connect to my isp for a while now,
> i have been able to use minicom to connect to my ips and
> logon with name and password,
> once i log on i get a message saying
> your ip is   ***.***.***.*** < some ip
> mru is  *** some number,

> once that happens if i press any key the ppp
> session starts and i'm able to see a  bunch of [][]]{}{|&*##%
> on my screen,
> next i quit minicon without reseting the modem and from shell i type
> pppd to start the ppp session,  once i do that 3,4 seconds after my
> modem disconnects,

The problem is; Once you quit the minicon, the device files gets closed,
and when you start the pppd, the device file gets opened again.
The open/close sends control signals to the modem, and the modem hangs
up.

The tric is to use the "chat" program, and the "connect" parameter to
pppd.

Soren

ppp connection to ISP

Post by sylvest » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

how would i do that, i don't know how to use those, can you possibly
give me an example on how to accomplish a connection using chat and
connect?
thanks,

>> hi, i'm trying to connect to my isp for a while now,
>> i have been able to use minicom to connect to my ips and
>> logon with name and password,
>> once i log on i get a message saying
>> your ip is   ***.***.***.*** < some ip
>> mru is  *** some number,

>> once that happens if i press any key the ppp
>> session starts and i'm able to see a  bunch of [][]]{}{|&*##%
>> on my screen,
>> next i quit minicon without reseting the modem and from shell i type
>> pppd to start the ppp session,  once i do that 3,4 seconds after my
>> modem disconnects,

>The problem is; Once you quit the minicon, the device files gets closed,
>and when you start the pppd, the device file gets opened again.
>The open/close sends control signals to the modem, and the modem hangs
>up.

>The tric is to use the "chat" program, and the "connect" parameter to
>pppd.

>Soren

ppp connection to ISP

Post by Daryl Ma » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

after exiting minicom without reseting type this

pppd -d -detach /dev/modem 38400 &

and then type ifconfig ppp0
and see what happens...

>> hi, i'm trying to connect to my isp for a while now,
>> i have been able to use minicom to connect to my ips and
>> logon with name and password,
>> once i log on i get a message saying
>> your ip is   ***.***.***.*** < some ip
>> mru is  *** some number,

>> once that happens if i press any key the ppp
>> session starts and i'm able to see a  bunch of [][]]{}{|&*##%
>> on my screen,
>> next i quit minicon without reseting the modem and from shell i type
>> pppd to start the ppp session,  once i do that 3,4 seconds after my
>> modem disconnects,

>The problem is; Once you quit the minicon, the device files gets closed,
>and when you start the pppd, the device file gets opened again.
>The open/close sends control signals to the modem, and the modem hangs
>up.

>The tric is to use the "chat" program, and the "connect" parameter to
>pppd.

>Soren

ppp connection to ISP

Post by sylvest » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

i connected to my isp using minicom, after loging in, i got a message
"your ip is  ....."   i quit minicom without reseting the modem and i
run a script which said
pppd -d -detach /dev/modem 38400 &
and nothing happened, i run if config and there is nothing except the
lo

i run route and also nothing,   this sucks,
any help,
also when using minicom does it always say "offline" in the bottom
right corner or does it ever say  maybe "online" , mine always says
offline,

>after exiting minicom without reseting type this

>pppd -d -detach /dev/modem 38400 &

>and then type ifconfig ppp0
>and see what happens...

>>> hi, i'm trying to connect to my isp for a while now,
>>> i have been able to use minicom to connect to my ips and
>>> logon with name and password,
>>> once i log on i get a message saying
>>> your ip is   ***.***.***.*** < some ip
>>> mru is  *** some number,

>>> once that happens if i press any key the ppp
>>> session starts and i'm able to see a  bunch of [][]]{}{|&*##%
>>> on my screen,
>>> next i quit minicon without reseting the modem and from shell i type
>>> pppd to start the ppp session,  once i do that 3,4 seconds after my
>>> modem disconnects,

>>The problem is; Once you quit the minicon, the device files gets closed,
>>and when you start the pppd, the device file gets opened again.
>>The open/close sends control signals to the modem, and the modem hangs
>>up.

>>The tric is to use the "chat" program, and the "connect" parameter to
>>pppd.

>>Soren

ppp connection to ISP

Post by bill davids » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

| i checked the message file in the var/log directory and this has
| showed up many times, i suspect that this is what happens when i
| establish a connection with my isp , that is login in with name and
| password and shortly after the ppp sesion starts the modem
| disconnects.
| if anyone can figure out what is happening i will appreciate the help

Run pppd with the debug option. That will help tell you what you
are doing.

--

Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward.  -me, 1988

ppp connection to ISP

Post by Viet Yen Nguye » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

On my homepage there is a PPP-install-script. Try it out !
http://www.multiweb.nl/~vy

--
Bye,

PPP-scripts ? Go to http://www.multiweb.nl/~vy

1. PPP connection to ISP- newbie question

Is there some sort of program that resembles Windows 95 or NT Dial-Up
Networking?  I have Netscape Communicator 4, and thought that it would
include something, to no avail.  I have read the how-to file, but to get it
to work with the scripts, you have to logon as root.  I would like to logon
as a user, run a simple dialup program and start up Netscape.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Nemesio Camara

2. Ensoniq Soundscape with Linux

3. Request info on PPP connection to ISP

4. changing the default users files and dir's....

5. PPP Connection to ISP

6. Another plane crash

7. PPP connection with ISP

8. Installtion probs with rs6k 43P-140

9. Verifying successful PPP connection to ISP

10. Direct PPP connection between ISP and PC running FreeBDS?

11. PPP connection to ISP.

12. setting up PPP connection to ISP

13. PPP Connection to ISP - Do I Need named ??