2nd nic can't ping route table messed double entry

2nd nic can't ping route table messed double entry

Post by Falc » Mon, 06 May 2002 16:33:42

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me. This is problems
regarding installing a 2nd networking card.

So last night I wanted to install a 2nd nic in my webserver so that
way if one of the cards break or has problems I'll have another
ip/route to the webserver. Here is the problem. When I have eth1 come
up on boot the route table gets all messed up. After doing so eth0 and
eth1 don't work. I can ping out from the server, but I can't ping
either ip of eth0 or eth1 from my other computer.

Here is example readout of the route table when both come up on boot:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
205.214.22.160  *               255.255.255.240 U     0      0
0 eth1
205.214.22.160  *               255.255.255.240 U     0      0
0 eth1
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0
0 lo
default         205.214.22.161  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
0 eth0

I can't ping eth0 or eth1. I can ping out from the server.

Here is the webserver specs:

O.S.: Linux Redhat 7.2
NIC#1: Realtek 8139 10/100
NIC#2: Realtek 8139 10/100

Here is my network specs:
[not actual ips | for example]

Gateway: 205.214.22.161
Network: 205.214.22.160
Netmask: 255.255.255.240
Broadcast: 205.214.22.175

IP for NIC#1: 205.214.22.170
IP for NIC#2: 205.214.22.171

Here is the /etc/modules.conf file:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 8139too
alias usb-controller usb-uhci

Here is the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file:

DEVICE="eth0"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="none"
IPADDR="205.214.22.170"
NETMASK="255.255.255.240"
GATEWAY="205.214.22.161"
NETWORK="205.214.22.160"
BROADCAST="205.214.22.175"

Here is the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file:

DEVICE="eth1"
ONBOOT="no"
BOOTPROTO="none"
IPADDR="205.214.22.171"
NETMASK="255.255.255.240"
GATEWAY="205.214.22.161"
NETWORK="205.214.22.160"
BROADCAST="205.214.22.175"

If I add the correct route tables so that I can ping eth0 and eth1,
eth1 isn't independent. Meaning if I do a:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down

Then I can't ping eth1 anymore.

I've also tried [booting with eth1 not comingup at boot, just eth0]:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth1

and that makes eth0 stop responding so I can't ping it anymore.

This is driving me crazy. I don't see anythign wrong with the
configuration. I really appreciate anyhelp that you can give me. I
need this eth1 working independent so that if eth0 goes down eth1 can
still access the gateway 205.214.22.161.

Thanks,
Joe Russell

Blankvision Designs

2nd nic can't ping route table messed double entry

Post by Bit Twist » Mon, 06 May 2002 22:43:08

Quote:> I really appreciate any help anyone can give me. This is problems
> regarding installing a 2nd networking card.

I would swap ethernet cables and test.

What can happen is when you plugged in the second card,
it's physical address on buss is lower than the other nic.
During booting the new new nic is found before the old nick.
OS then assigns new nic as eth0.

Post by Falc » Tue, 07 May 2002 07:46:15

> > I really appreciate any help anyone can give me. This is problems
> > regarding installing a 2nd networking card.

> I would swap ethernet cables and test.

> What can happen is when you plugged in the second card,
> it's physical address on buss is lower than the other nic.
> During booting the new new nic is found before the old nick.
> OS then assigns new nic as eth0.

I already tried this. That also wouldn't explain the messed up routing
tables. DAH this is crazy. This shouldn't be this hard.

Falcon

2nd nic can't ping route table messed double entry

Post by Mamata Desa » Tue, 07 May 2002 13:40:54

Hi Falcon,

Check /etc/sysconfig/network. Basically your gateway device is eth0, and
so, nomatter where the packets come in from, they go out from eth0. I
had faced a similar problem. The solution seems to be using the
"iproute2" package. The Advanced Routing HOWTO has more tips and this
URL might help you:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&thr...

--Mamata

--

2nd nic can't ping route table messed double entry

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 07 May 2002 16:11:37

[...]

Quote:>So last night I wanted to install a 2nd nic in my webserver so that
>way if one of the cards break or has problems I'll have another
>ip/route to the webserver.

[...]

There are several ways to do it; alas, the way you did it
will not work, as you can't have 2 NICs with IP addresses
from the same network in your system.

Use a simple shell script to test for the presence
of the first NIC and have it activating the second NIC in case
it failed.

Michael

1. How Do Routing Table Entries Get Added to Routing Table at Bootup?

I have, what I think, is a simple question for the TCP/IP guys out there
who are familar with routing tables on AIX 4.1.5/4.2.1 in an IBM SP
environment. Or maybe not.

I have recently noticed that when I execute a 'netstat -r' on a
particular node in the SP environment, there are routing table entries
that I know I didn't put in there. I have to delete these "unwelcomed"
entries and re-add the correct ones. This is undesireable and maybe a
quick crash course in routing tables is justified. These unwelcomed
routing table entries seem to be automatically added right after I have
IPL'ed the node in question.

How did these routing table entries get added in the routing table? Does
anybody know the process?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Unixware 7 vs. OpenSerwer 5

3. Can't ping another pc after installed 2nd NIC

4. DVD player and DeCSS

5. How to delete route entry from routing table

6. Stacker compression FS

7. default route entry vanishing from routing table

8. Graphic Files only half loading?

9. Routing table default route entry question

10. Problem routing from cable modem (was "Can't communicate with 2nd NIC")

11. my kde WM does not support "double click" on table entries

12. route table getting messed up

13. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??