Looking for advice, opnions, assistance...

Looking for advice, opnions, assistance...

Post by rapska » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:58:00

I have four linux systems with various distros (enigma, cooker, potato,
snag)

Here's my situation...

I would like one system to serve as more or less a central server for the
other three.  I would ultimately like to host all local network services
from this system, including nfs and user authentication.  Having multiple
boxen on my net, centralization is of the essence since I want access to
my data wherever I happen to be as does the wife.  Plus it's a great
learning project :-)

I have tried the walk-through at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/
to try and get the nfs services up and running on the "server" (snag), no
go. Everything goes through, modified all required config and access
files, but the following happens when I try to launch rpc.nfsd --

# /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
nfssvc: Function not implemented

I have no idea what the hell this means.  All the other ancillary daemons
are running (portmapper, mountd, rquotad and status) according to rpcinfo
-p output.  Any ideas on this one?  Google searches yield pretty
unspecific info, mostly others with similar problems, but no real fixes as
of yet, though I will keep looking.

Also, any idea where I should begin looking for central user
authentication services?  Is this the NIS I read about somewhere?  Sorry
for all the newbie probes, but I really appreciate the help!

Thanks!  :-)

[crossposted to C.O.L.A., C.O.L.N.)

--
rapskat  - 10:40pm  up 14 days, 12:51,  8 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.17, 0.11

The beginnings of all things are small. -- Cicero.

Looking for advice, opnions, assistance...

Post by D. C. Session » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:36:07

Quote:> I have four linux systems with various distros (enigma, cooker, potato,
> snag)

> Here's my situation...

> I would like one system to serve as more or less a central server for the
> other three.  I would ultimately like to host all local network services
> from this system, including nfs and user authentication.  Having multiple
> boxen on my net, centralization is of the essence since I want access to
> my data wherever I happen to be as does the wife.  Plus it's a great
> learning project :-)

> I have tried the walk-through at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/
> to try and get the nfs services up and running on the "server" (snag), no
> go. Everything goes through, modified all required config and access
> files, but the following happens when I try to launch rpc.nfsd --

> # /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
> nfssvc: Function not implemented

> I have no idea what the hell this means.  All the other ancillary daemons
> are running (portmapper, mountd, rquotad and status) according to rpcinfo
> -p output.  Any ideas on this one?  Google searches yield pretty
> unspecific info, mostly others with similar problems, but no real fixes as
> of yet, though I will keep looking.

I confess to having done it the easy way: I used the
easy setups that the distributions provided.  Just
"service nfsd start" with the right entries in /etc/exports
and it's done.

Quote:> Also, any idea where I should begin looking for central user
> authentication services?  Is this the NIS I read about somewhere?  Sorry
> for all the newbie probes, but I really appreciate the help!

That's NIS all right.  A pretty good book (if a bit of overkill
for a relatively minor bit of system administration) is O'Reilly's
"Managing NFS and NIS"  Again, you do minor surgery on
/etc/ypbind.conf, a wee bit of a tweak on the makefile in
/var/yp and then start ypbind and do a make.

You really should also use autofs, since it helps keep
you from having problems when the server shuts down.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |

Post by Mark Ke » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:49:42

Quote:

>Also, any idea where I should begin looking for central user
>authentication services?  Is this the NIS I read about somewhere?  Sorry
>for all the newbie probes, but I really appreciate the help!

Yes, NIS does central authentication for you.  You can use it in
conjunction with the auto-mounter to mount nfs exported home directories
for example.

--
            |  Mark Kent   --   Take out the ham to mail me.  |
I BET WHAT HAPPENED was they discovered fire and invented the wheel on

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:57:17

> > Also, any idea where I should begin looking for central user
> > authentication services?  Is this the NIS I read about somewhere?  Sorry
> > for all the newbie probes, but I really appreciate the help!

> That's NIS all right.  A pretty good book (if a bit of overkill
> for a relatively minor bit of system administration) is O'Reilly's
> "Managing NFS and NIS"  Again, you do minor surgery on
> /etc/ypbind.conf, a wee bit of a tweak on the makefile in
> /var/yp and then start ypbind and do a make.

> You really should also use autofs, since it helps keep
> you from having problems when the server shuts down.

Stay away from NIS. Proceed directly to LDAP, if at all possible. Even Sun
is planninig on dumping NIS. LDAP can be fairly used to manage Windows and
Mac authentication as well: integrating NIS to Windows authentication simply
doesn't work, and cannot, because the password encryption techniques are
entirely distinct.

1. vpn - not sure if its what Im looking for - looking for advice

Clyde,

Most VPN implementations now support dhcp 'road warrior' connections,
however it is not easily done using OpenBSD's IPSEC tools, and I have seen
no reference on any sites on connecting to say a Win2k client desktop to the
OpenBSD server, other than a mention that a connection is possible using
Ike.   You may want to look into PopTop which is a Microsoft PPTP VPN
Solution that is popular on Linux, but because of some limitations in the
ppp kernel code on OpenBSD you will not be able to apply the cool
encryptions (MSCHAPV2, 128Bit MPPE), but it should still work ok.

The easiest thing you can probally do, considering you only have 6 incoming
connections to worry about and if you didn't want to dig into IPSEC is to
use ipnat's redirection and somehow enforce your PC Anywhere users to use
PC-Anywhere's encryption to establish a *somewhat* secure connection.
Otherwise, man vpn.

Dennis Van Amburgh

Albany, NY

2. Modem device??

3. Looking for assistance with XDM on 2.3

4. startx gives black screen after installing new scsi card

5. Looking for some BK assistance

6. Slack 7.1 'install.iso'

7. My Opnion about Linux-Cdroms

8. How can I measure the network load ?

9. Opnion on Commercial Linux

10. Linux for Windows opnion requested

11. opnions

12. opnion on network

13. looking for advice for creating videos