High performance server - Hardware recommendation needed

High performance server - Hardware recommendation needed

Post by Uri Shkolni » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I looking for hardware recommendation for a Linux server which I want to
be installed in our site.

1) Money is not an issue.  (ok, it is, but not a major one)
2) Running SMB (Samba) as fast as spring 1998's hardware may (file
server - that it's main goal).
3) Running other services (DHCP, fax server, etc.).
4) Intel based server preferred.

Best regards,

Uri

P.S. I already looked at HP' LC3 server. Any recommendations? Warnings?

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Chris Hedemar » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I looking for hardware recommendation for a Linux server which I want to
> be installed in our site.

> 1) Money is not an issue.  (ok, it is, but not a major one)
> 2) Running SMB (Samba) as fast as spring 1998's hardware may (file
> server - that it's main goal).
> 3) Running other services (DHCP, fax server, etc.).
> 4) Intel based server preferred.

Just wondering, why the preference for Intel?  That's going to be your
performance bottleneck, IMO.

I have built a LOT of servers.  Granted, they were all NT.  There is a
*wide* margin of difference between the load capacity of a DEC Alpha
box and any Intel box.  If you are going to colocate everything on one
box, I don't think that will be a problem for you but you will buy
yourself more scalability if you buy an Alpha box up front.  Don't
forget to raise your memory requirements if you go the RISC route.

Check out http://www.linux-hw.com ... this guy has some good deals on
LINUX-compatible servers.  Even some of his workstations would make
great servers.

Quote:> P.S. I already looked at HP' LC3 server. Any recommendations?
> Warnings?

HP makes some great servers.  However, I have had a complaint that for
the last 3 or 4 years they have been using the *cheapest* SCSI cables
I've ever seen.  The insulation is like beeswax and you can scrape it
clean off with a fingernail effortlessly.  Aside from that I've been
very pleased.

As for RAID controllers, Mylex adapters have given me the best
price:performance balance.  I know I am posting from an IBM email
address but I don't get any bonus for telling you that IBM hard disks
have served me well.  Seagate drives, despite their popularity in this
industry, are GARBAGE IMO.  They run very hot and burn out quickly.
Western Digital drives run forever but they are very slow.

Post by Ramiro Estrug » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> As for RAID controllers, Mylex adapters have given me the best
> price:performance balance.  I know I am posting from an IBM email
> address but I don't get any bonus for telling you that IBM hard disks
> have served me well.  Seagate drives, despite their popularity in this
> industry, are GARBAGE IMO.  They run very hot and burn out quickly.
> Western Digital drives run forever but they are very slow.

I've had mixed results with ibm drives on linux - according to the
quality/price of the drives.  Over the years i've used 1 gb, 4 gb and 9
gb ibm oem drives.  The best have been the UltraStar 9ES drives.  The 9
gb 5400 rpm drives have given me trouble under linux.  For instance with
a mylex 958w controller, there are some bad sectors on the drive that
will hang the scsi controller.  An adaptec 2940uw can correctly mark the
sector as bad and deal with the problem.

However, this has been a minuscle exception when compared to more than 5
years of using mylex/buslogic without any incidents.  The myles
controllers are very good - mostly due to the well written and
documented buslogic linux drivers.

So this is my recommendation:

Mylex controllers + high end ibm oem drives.  UltraStar 9ES, I beleive.
Dont get the cheap 5400 rpm drives (cant remember the model)

-re

1. Recommendations for a high performance POP3 server

We have been using the QUALCOMM/UCB POP3 server version
2.1.4-R1 for a while. However, with increasing load, it
seems to get bogged down. I suspect it cannot handle too
many simultaneous connections. This is Solaris 2.4.

Are there any commercial or public domain POP3 servers
available that are tuned well for performance ? Any
recommedations or suggestions will be appreciated.

Sanjay.
Web Professionals, Inc.               Web Publishing and Access
20370 Town Center Lane, Suite 245                  408-865-0899
Cupertino CA 95014                     http://professionals.com

2. How to make a perfect partition backup for security-post-inspecting?

3. Need suggestions for high performance streaming server

4. Modem Question - I'm Getting Desperate!

5. Need: ISP News Server(INN) Hardware Recommendations

6. Compiling ORBit 0.3.98 under 2.2.8

7. Recommendations for a $5000 high performance workstation

8. Newbie: xautolock? auto-xlock?

9. high-availability server recommendation solicited

10. recommendation on hardware recommendation

11. COMMERCIAL: NcFTPd: High-performance FTP Server for UNIX

12. Need advice on hardware setup for high-trafic site

13. Beta testers required for new high performance server