Newbie question: installing 3com ethernet cards

Newbie question: installing 3com ethernet cards

Post by Mar » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Just wondering: will Linux detect an ethernet NIC when Linux is
already installed on the computer?
Before installing Linux, I already had the card installed, so I
guessed that setup would probe for it. Does Linux probe for the card
when it is put into a slot later??

Thanks,
Mark

Newbie question: installing 3com ethernet cards

Post by Thin » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

depends on the distribution linux only normally probes for 1 nic u add a
line into lilo.conf to tell it to search for the second with red hat but use
a module in debian.  my site might help u www.kascha.ml.org

Thing

>Just wondering: will Linux detect an ethernet NIC when Linux is
>already installed on the computer?
>Before installing Linux, I already had the card installed, so I
>guessed that setup would probe for it. Does Linux probe for the card
>when it is put into a slot later??

>Thanks,
>Mark

1. 3COM ethernet card and NE2000 ethernet card

I've been trying to set up my system with a 3COM 3C905 PCI network card and
an NE2000 network card.  I do a "make xconfig", I change the 3COM setting
for the 3COM card to yes and I change the NE2000 compatible card to yes.
Then I recompile the kernel as normal:  make dep  make clean  make boot
make modules  make modules_install.  Then I copy the kernel over to the
/boot and edit lilo.conf and then I run /sbin/lilo.

When I reboot, the kernel doesn't finish loading and gives me a message
saying something like, "Kernel panic:VFS".  What am I doing wrong?  I'm
also using kernel version 2.0.32.

Thanks,

Ben

2. Exabyte 8500/8200 SCSI tape drives setup.

3. Newbie Installing Ethernet card after inital install

4. 3 .class files generated for 1 .java file

5. How can i install a 3com ethernet card?

6. Newbe config question

7. How to install Intel/3Com ethernet cards on Sun workstations?

8. Realistic limit on number of files in a directory

9. Installing a 3com 905 Ethernet card on Solaris 8 for intel

10. Can't install 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA Ethernet card on Red Hat 7.2

11. Installing 3com 3c509 ethernet card with Redhat 5.2

12. Support for 3Com 3c529 (IBM MCA) Ethernet Card in RedHat 4.1 Install

13. Newbie question: 3COM cards with RH 7.0