ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Jim Clayso » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 06:45:30



Hi,

Running RH6.2 on both desktop and laptop - 2.2.14-5.0
The two machines can ping each other but not telnet or ftp. Both
programs (telnet and ftp) have been installed. I don't know how to check
if they are disabled. If I do a locate as root from /, I only get
inetd.help files - no inetd.conf?

I'd like to get stuck into setting up samba but thought I should first
be able to telnet and ftp.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Jim

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Jeff » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:11:51


Quote:> I'd like to get stuck into setting up samba but thought I should first
> be able to telnet and ftp.

> Any help much appreciated.

You've left out a lot of key information.  First of all, when you telnet or
ftp, what error message do you get?  Secondly, by default I think telnetd is
enabled from /etc/inetd.conf so if you just open /etc/inetd.conf in a text
editor and see if it's commented out or not.  If it is, uncomment it and do
a killall -HUP inetd and there you go.

Jeff

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Jim Clayso » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 08:37:58



> > I'd like to get stuck into setting up samba but thought I should first
> > be able to telnet and ftp.

> > Any help much appreciated.

> You've left out a lot of key information.  First of all, when you telnet or
> ftp, what error message do you get?  Secondly, by default I think telnetd is
> enabled from /etc/inetd.conf so if you just open /etc/inetd.conf in a text
> editor and see if it's commented out or not.  If it is, uncomment it and do
> a killall -HUP inetd and there you go.

> Jeff

Hey Jeff,

When I do telnet lapstat(192.168.1.2) from upstat(192.168.1.1), I get:


Trying 192.168.1.2...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

When I do ftp lapstat, I get:


ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp>

Now, I read another posting which said to try :

'netstat -a | grep telnet'

which returns nothing.

The posting also said to check /etc/services which is supposed to list ftpd and
telnetd. I don't see either of those two in this file. (I have checked my
system for inetd and can only find help files). I've checked the process list
and there doesn't seem to be any inetd processes.

Its probably something fairly fundamental that I'm missing.

Any further musings?

Jim

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Jim Clayso » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 08:45:18



> > I'd like to get stuck into setting up samba but thought I should first
> > be able to telnet and ftp.

> > Any help much appreciated.

> You've left out a lot of key information.  First of all, when you telnet or
> ftp, what error message do you get?  Secondly, by default I think telnetd is
> enabled from /etc/inetd.conf so if you just open /etc/inetd.conf in a text
> editor and see if it's commented out or not.  If it is, uncomment it and do
> a killall -HUP inetd and there you go.

> Jeff

Oh, and that same thing happens when 'telnet'ing upstat (i.e. the other way
round). Eventually, I want to be able to run either win95 or RH6.2 as the
client (lapstat). Initially I'm trying to get things going running RH6.2 on
both. What ever the problem is is occurring on both machines.

Jim

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Jeff » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:55:24


Quote:> Oh, and that same thing happens when 'telnet'ing upstat (i.e. the other
way
> round). Eventually, I want to be able to run either win95 or RH6.2 as the
> client (lapstat). Initially I'm trying to get things going running RH6.2
on
> both. What ever the problem is is occurring on both machines.

Hey,

The fact is, if you are getting connection refused, it is more than likely
that telnet is not running.  Did you check /etc/inetd.conf?  That's where
telnet and ftp are enabled by default.  Uncomment them and do a killall -HUP
inetd.

Jeff

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Jim Clayso » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:13:18



> > Oh, and that same thing happens when 'telnet'ing upstat (i.e. the other
> way
> > round). Eventually, I want to be able to run either win95 or RH6.2 as the
> > client (lapstat). Initially I'm trying to get things going running RH6.2
> on
> > both. What ever the problem is is occurring on both machines.

> Hey,

> The fact is, if you are getting connection refused, it is more than likely
> that telnet is not running.  Did you check /etc/inetd.conf?  That's where
> telnet and ftp are enabled by default.  Uncomment them and do a killall -HUP
> inetd.

> Jeff

Jeff,

Excuse me but I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to Linux's configuration
files. One thing I can say, is that I don't have a file in /etc called
'inetd.conf'. I think I should be looking at /etc/services instead of
'inetd.conf'. When I look in 'services', I don't see any mention of telnetd or
ftpd.  The telnet entries in the file are as follows:

telnet          23/tcp
rtelnet         107/tcp                         # Remote Telnet
rtelnet         107/udp

So, it doesn't look to me like telnet is running but why not?

Jim

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Andrei Ivan » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:26:08



>> Oh, and that same thing happens when 'telnet'ing upstat (i.e. the other
> way
>> round). Eventually, I want to be able to run either win95 or RH6.2 as the
>> client (lapstat). Initially I'm trying to get things going running RH6.2
> on
>> both. What ever the problem is is occurring on both machines.

> The fact is, if you are getting connection refused, it is more than likely
> that telnet is not running.  Did you check /etc/inetd.conf?  That's where
> telnet and ftp are enabled by default.  Uncomment them and do a killall -HUP
> inetd.

I guess, author chose "KDE (or GNOME) Workstation" package cluster and ended
up with just 'telnet' and 'ftp' packages (client programs, not servers!).

To allow FTP/telnet connections, one has to install 'inetd', 'wu-ftp'
and 'telnet-server' packages. Mount your RH6.2 CDROM, then do the following
(as root):

  # cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
  # rpm -i inetd-0.16-4.i386.rpm
  # rpm -i telnet-server-0.16-6.i386.rpm

To install WU-FTPD package, download latest version from updates.redhat.com
or just run

  # rpm -i ftp://updates.redhat.com/6.2/i386/wu-ftpd-2.6.0-14.6x.i386.rpm

--
andrei

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by David K. Mean » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:07:20



Quote:> Hi,

> Running RH6.2 on both desktop and laptop - 2.2.14-5.0
> The two machines can ping each other but not telnet or ftp. Both
> programs (telnet and ftp) have been installed. I don't know how to check
> if they are disabled. If I do a locate as root from /, I only get
> inetd.help files - no inetd.conf?

> I'd like to get stuck into setting up samba but thought I should first
> be able to telnet and ftp.

From this and later posts, it appears that you do not have a
file named     /etc/inetd.conf    on either of your systems.  I am not
at all sure how you could have achieved that if you installed networking
support when you initially built the systems, but there you are.
It is not terribly easy to create this file from first principles; a much
easier way to do it is to copy it from another machine (or your
distribution).
On my (6.1) systems, this stuff is supplied in an RPM file:
    netkit-base-0.10-37.i386.rpm
So.  go to your cdrom, get it mounted, and look down into its
directory structure along this path:
     cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/
The rpm file should be there.  Install it, and you will get the
/etc/inetd.conf
file, initialization files, manfiles, and the inetd  daemon.
  You should probably review your installation process, and the log it
generated, to see why this wasn't installed when you first built the system,
because there is a good chance that you won't have several other things
that will soon become essential.

HTH

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Jim Clayso » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:03:59





> > Hi,

> > Running RH6.2 on both desktop and laptop - 2.2.14-5.0
> > The two machines can ping each other but not telnet or ftp. Both
> > programs (telnet and ftp) have been installed. I don't know how to check
> > if they are disabled. If I do a locate as root from /, I only get
> > inetd.help files - no inetd.conf?

> > I'd like to get stuck into setting up samba but thought I should first
> > be able to telnet and ftp.

> From this and later posts, it appears that you do not have a
> file named     /etc/inetd.conf    on either of your systems.  I am not
> at all sure how you could have achieved that if you installed networking
> support when you initially built the systems, but there you are.
> It is not terribly easy to create this file from first principles; a much
> easier way to do it is to copy it from another machine (or your
> distribution).
> On my (6.1) systems, this stuff is supplied in an RPM file:
>     netkit-base-0.10-37.i386.rpm
> So.  go to your cdrom, get it mounted, and look down into its
> directory structure along this path:
>      cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/
> The rpm file should be there.  Install it, and you will get the
> /etc/inetd.conf
> file, initialization files, manfiles, and the inetd  daemon.
>   You should probably review your installation process, and the log it
> generated, to see why this wasn't installed when you first built the system,
> because there is a good chance that you won't have several other things
> that will soon become essential.

> HTH

David,

I have managed to sort out the problem. Andrei, the dude who replied earlier
was correct in saying I had to install the telnet and ftp rpms off the cd -
which I have now done. So, being a relativley inexperienced linux user, I must
have installed both systems to be client environments.

Which are the 'several other things that will soon become essential'? If you
are right, in this I may have to re-install.

Cheers
Jim

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Jim Clayso » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:07:22




> >> Oh, and that same thing happens when 'telnet'ing upstat (i.e. the other
> > way
> >> round). Eventually, I want to be able to run either win95 or RH6.2 as the
> >> client (lapstat). Initially I'm trying to get things going running RH6.2
> > on
> >> both. What ever the problem is is occurring on both machines.

> > The fact is, if you are getting connection refused, it is more than likely
> > that telnet is not running.  Did you check /etc/inetd.conf?  That's where
> > telnet and ftp are enabled by default.  Uncomment them and do a killall -HUP
> > inetd.

> I guess, author chose "KDE (or GNOME) Workstation" package cluster and ended
> up with just 'telnet' and 'ftp' packages (client programs, not servers!).

> To allow FTP/telnet connections, one has to install 'inetd', 'wu-ftp'
> and 'telnet-server' packages. Mount your RH6.2 CDROM, then do the following
> (as root):

>   # cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
>   # rpm -i inetd-0.16-4.i386.rpm
>   # rpm -i telnet-server-0.16-6.i386.rpm

> To install WU-FTPD package, download latest version from updates.redhat.com
> or just run

>   # rpm -i ftp://updates.redhat.com/6.2/i386/wu-ftpd-2.6.0-14.6x.i386.rpm

> --
> andrei

Andrei,

I did as you said and, hey, presto! I'm just hoping that this doesn't mean I'll
have to re-install RH in order for other things to be supported. If it does well
then I guess I'll just have to.

Thanks for your advice!

Jim

 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by David K. Mean » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:07:44



 [snip]

Quote:> David,

> I have managed to sort out the problem. Andrei, the dude who replied
earlier
> was correct in saying I had to install the telnet and ftp rpms off the
cd -
> which I have now done. So, being a relativley inexperienced linux user, I
must
> have installed both systems to be client environments.

> Which are the 'several other things that will soon become essential'? If
you
> are right, in this I may have to re-install.

  This depends on how many network services you actually need to run on
these boxes.  The most obvious are
  telnetd, sendmail, ftpd,
  rshd (remote shell daemon),
  rlogind (remote login daemon)
  pop-3/imap (mail delivery agents)
  identd (used to respond to authentication requests from other sendmails)
I'm not sure what else might be on your plate:
  Apache Web Server  (httpd)
  Network Time Daemon  (ntpd)
  Secure Shell  (sshd),
 
 
 

ping but not telnet or ftp (RH6.2)

Post by Jim Clayso » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:28:46





>  [snip]
> > David,

> > I have managed to sort out the problem. Andrei, the dude who replied
> earlier
> > was correct in saying I had to install the telnet and ftp rpms off the
> cd -
> > which I have now done. So, being a relativley inexperienced linux user, I
> must
> > have installed both systems to be client environments.

> > Which are the 'several other things that will soon become essential'? If
> you
> > are right, in this I may have to re-install.

>   This depends on how many network services you actually need to run on
> these boxes.  The most obvious are
>   telnetd, sendmail, ftpd,
>   rshd (remote shell daemon),
>   rlogind (remote login daemon)
>   pop-3/imap (mail delivery agents)
>   identd (used to respond to authentication requests from other sendmails)
> I'm not sure what else might be on your plate:
>   Apache Web Server  (httpd)
>   Network Time Daemon  (ntpd)
>   Secure Shell  (sshd),

Well, in fact I think I can do without those for the time being. At the moment
I'm trrying to get a win95 client to ping linux - without much success. If you
have any tips please see my other postings in this group re win95.

Cheers
Jim

 
 
 

1. FTP Newbie can ping, telnet but not FTP

I have a 2 machine network that seems to have all functionality except for
ftp.

My Little home Network:  Linux (Redhat 6.1) on Intel machine intended to be
the server (but I chose the workstation Linux installation).  eth0 is
working fine.
W98 Machine with 3com309d card.  These 2 machines are connected by BNC (thin
coax cable) with appropriate T terminators on each end.

Linux box can ping W98 box.
W98 box can ping Linux box.
W98 box can telnet to Linux box.  No problems with telneting.

But ftp is unsuccessful.  When I try to ftp on the W98 box, Here is what I
get in the MSDOS window:

ftp> open 204.191.151.1 (this is the Linux box IP address)
Connected to 204.191.151.1
Connection closed by remote host

When I try to get the Linux box to ftp to itself I get this message:

421 Service not available.  Remote server has closed connection

At the suggestion of a friend and without understanding, I have looked at
/etc/inet.conf and changed this line:
Original line:
ftp      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
New line:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd

This had made no difference to the behavior of ftp.

It seems that I need to configure the Linux box to allow ftp access to
remote machines.  Thus far it is not clear to me from RedHat documentation
or all that I have found on the net what I need to do.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks very much in advance.

David Heitholt

2. INFO ON LOADING FRONTPAGE EXTENSIONS ONTO LINUX SERVER

3. RH6.2: no ping, telnet and ftp time-out

4. Problems on reboot

5. ping 2nd NIC works, but not ftp or telnet

6. IP MASQ Working: Performance Problem with FTP

7. slip:ping/pong works but not ftp/telnet (tcp)

8. 2 quick questions

9. SLIP P-t-P: ping works but not ftp and telnet

10. ping ok, not telnet ftp http

11. Can not ping/telnet/ftp from our box to any other box on our network

12. ping/nslookup but not telnet/ftp

13. SLIP under NET-2: I can ping server, but not telnet/ftp/etc.