PLIP: Linux <--> Dos using pktdrv PLIP.COM

PLIP: Linux <--> Dos using pktdrv PLIP.COM

Post by klaus schul » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to connect a DOS machine to a Linux box using PLIP.

Connecting two linux boxes using PLIP is no problem. Everything  works
fine. But DOS to Linux....
Linux side: Kernel 1.2.13
Dos side: Crynwr packet driver PLIP.COM version 11.0
         winpkt.com
         Trumpet winsocket protocol stack

Trumpet recognizes the packet driver without problem. When I try to connect
from DOS to Linux, an ARP request is sent, and apparently also
received by the Linux box. arp -a shows the new entry in the arp table, and
ifconfig -a also shows the received packet. But then the reply is
not received by the dos machine. In /var/adm/messages I get plip transmit
timeout.
Now my question: Has anybody ever connected a DOS machine to Linux
using PLIP?

Thanks for ANY replies.
Klaus

Post by Willy TARRE » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: I am trying to connect a DOS machine to a Linux box using PLIP.

: Connecting two linux boxes using PLIP is no problem. Everything  works
: fine. But DOS to Linux....
: Linux side: Kernel 1.2.13
: Dos side: Crynwr packet driver PLIP.COM version 11.0
:          winpkt.com
:          Trumpet winsocket protocol stack

: Trumpet recognizes the packet driver without problem. When I try to connect
: from DOS to Linux, an ARP request is sent, and apparently also
: received by the Linux box. arp -a shows the new entry in the arp table, and
: ifconfig -a also shows the received packet. But then the reply is
: not received by the dos machine. In /var/adm/messages I get plip transmit
: timeout.
: Now my question: Has anybody ever connected a DOS machine to Linux
: using PLIP?

I've already succeeded in making DOS connect to linux servers using PLIP.
I had many problems because I needed to modify the classes supported by the
pktdrv, but after that, it worked.

A big problem I've had an I still have is that I cant use this PLIP
connection with a notebook. The problem comes from the IRQ line not
correctly activated (busy line, pin 11). I can't understand why. I thought
the notebook didn't accept IRQ, but it does this with several notebooks I've
tested, and I am not very happy because I wanted to do this to allow a
notebook to connect to a netware server through a linux bridge, without
having any pcmcia net card !

Perhaps notebooks don't use the same voltage levels and the line isn't
activated. Perhaps your parallel port is in this case, even if you don't
have a notebook. Have-you ever tried with another parallel card ?
Are you sure your // port generated an IRQ ? (don't trust MSD's lies, MSD
only says what you SHOULD have, but not what you DO have. It's only able
to detect serial UARTs).

I ask you these questions because you say that linux to linux works fine,
but you don't say if this works fine between the 2 same machines as with
DOS and Linux, or between 2 other machines...

If it is only under DOS that your connection doesn't work, then verify you
didn't configure a dos extender that would slow down IRQ rate or even lose
IRQs.

: Thanks for ANY replies.
: Klaus

That's all I can do for you.

Willy

plus je connais l'informatique, moins j'aime jouer
plus je connais les joueurs, moins j'aime l'informatique
------------------------------S. Fernier & W. Tarreau---

Post by Ervin Walt » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: I am trying to connect a DOS machine to a Linux box using PLIP.

>: Now my question: Has anybody ever connected a DOS machine to Linux
>: using PLIP?

>activated. Perhaps your parallel port is in this case, even if you don't
>have a notebook. Have-you ever tried with another parallel card ?
>Are you sure your // port generated an IRQ ? (don't trust MSD's lies, MSD
>only says what you SHOULD have, but not what you DO have. It's only able
>to detect serial UARTs).

I also use a DOS <-> Linux via PLIP network almost daily
(unfortunatly).  Two things:  First, this may be a dumb question, but
did you turn on ARP when you configured the plip device with ifconfig.
Second, in almost every case, when I connected a DOS machine to a
Linux machine, the cheap parallel card on the motherboard of the DOS
machine did not generate IRQs properly.  In every case I have come
incontact with, I have had to go out and by a $9 addon parallel card.
Keep in mind that I generally have only been dealing with older DOS
machines <286.

Hope this helps.
Erv

--
                                ____
----==-- _                     / /  \

   http://www.linux.org     \_________\/

Post by Holger Marz » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I am trying to connect a DOS machine to a Linux box using PLIP.

>Connecting two linux boxes using PLIP is no problem. Everything  works
>fine. But DOS to Linux....
>Linux side: Kernel 1.2.13
>Dos side: Crynwr packet driver PLIP.COM version 11.0
>         winpkt.com
>         Trumpet winsocket protocol stack

>Trumpet recognizes the packet driver without problem. When I try to connect
>from DOS to Linux, an ARP request is sent, and apparently also
>received by the Linux box. arp -a shows the new entry in the arp table, and
>ifconfig -a also shows the received packet. But then the reply is
>not received by the dos machine. In /var/adm/messages I get plip transmit
>timeout.
>Now my question: Has anybody ever connected a DOS machine to Linux
>using PLIP?

Transmit timeouts occur from time to time. No problem.
I have a plip.com that works. I use ka9q on the dos-side.
There are some secret tricks :)

autoexec.bat:
c:\dos\mode lpt1: retry=r           <--- yeah!
lh c:\network\plip.com 0x62

ka9q:
attach packet 0x62 plip1 4 2048
ifconfig plip1 mtu 1500 netmask 0xFFFFFFFF
arp add 192.109.53.150 ethernet fc:fc:c0:6d:35:96 <- a fake arp for linux
                                                  (from ifconfig plip)

--
                 .o.
                /   \

               |     |
              /_______\
                   `o

1. Dos-PLIP<->Linux<->Internet?

  Could someone show me a simple example of what needs to be done to config
my linux with 2 unique host/domain/ip's?
I have pppd config'd, and I have plip active, I'm not too sure about how
the routing will work over the plip tho.

  I have this in hosts:

127.0.0.1               localhost
# ppp address
206.152.137.58          fbn.globalent.net        fbn
# PLIP line
192.168.0.1             fbn2.xanadu.com          fbn2

Does that look right?  Can one box be both fbn.globalent.net &
fbn2.xanadu.com to talk to 2 different nets, or should I be using just
the IP#s?

Do I need GateD?

Any clues 'preciated :)

--
~~
 All that is gold does not glitter..                      .

2. Digital UNIX (4.0D/E) patches revision history

3. plip.com (crynwyr) and ncsa telnet and Linux plip

4. RoadRunner (cable Modems)?

5. PLIP PLIP PLIP

6. viewsonic optiquest v775 modelines

7. PLIP Linux <-> DOS - could somebody post a working configuration?

8. Fuji Xerox Docucentre 350 as N/W Printer on solaris 2.6

9. linux <-> dos via plip?

10. PLIP PLIP PLIP . . .

11. Plip: Linux <-> Dos possible ?

12. PLIP: Linux <--> Dos doesnt work!