gethostbyname error info request

Post by John Timmer » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have set up a system here, on a local private network, and having done
a few of these, and never had any problems, I'm a little confused by
this one, and would appreciate a couple of hints to resolve it.  One of
my machines won't allow connections by telnet or ftp.  Some of the
facts:

As far as I know the /etc/hosts table is set up properly.  It works on
another similar machine.
The /etc/host.conf is set up to similar other systems.
The /etc/hosts.allow is set up as on similar other systems that allow
telnet and ftp
There is one system with Redhat 3.0.3 (everything works here) and the
other is WGS Linux 4.0 ( this machine has the problem)  I have looked
through the /etc/rc.d/* directories and files, and the /etc/sysconfig/*
directories and network setup files there, and can't seem to find any
glaring problems or differences between those on the machine that works,
and the one that doesn't.  Odd.  This is a clipping from the
/var/log/secure file on the problem machine:

Dec 17 21:23:39 yaro in.telnetd[337]: connect from loopback
Dec 17 21:24:45 yaro in.telnetd[315]: warning: can't verify hostname:
gethostbyname (yaro.cycom.com) failed
Dec 17 21:24:45 yaro in.telnetd[315]: refused connect from
192.168.121.16
Dec 17 21:25:21 yaro in.telnetd[419]: warning: can't verify hostname:
gethostbyname (yaro.cycom.com) failed

I'm running kernel v.2.0, and installed the upgraded portmap file from
the redhat site (I thought that might have been the problem, so I
upgraded to that) NFS works properly, and without any problems.

Any hints for me to help me solve this?
--
Regards

Post by Paul Russel » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have set up a system here, on a local private network, and having done
> a few of these, and never had any problems, I'm a little confused by
> this one, and would appreciate a couple of hints to resolve it.  One of
> my machines won't allow connections by telnet or ftp.  Some of the
> facts:

[snip]

Quote:> Dec 17 21:23:39 yaro in.telnetd[337]: connect from loopback
> Dec 17 21:24:45 yaro in.telnetd[315]: warning: can't verify hostname:
> gethostbyname (yaro.cycom.com) failed
> Dec 17 21:24:45 yaro in.telnetd[315]: refused connect from
> 192.168.121.16
> Dec 17 21:25:21 yaro in.telnetd[419]: warning: can't verify hostname:
> gethostbyname (yaro.cycom.com) failed

OK.  Here are my thoughts.

Are you running tcp wrappers?

Are TCP wrappers compiled with -DPARANOID in this distribution?  IIRC,
this causes them to drop a connection if the reverse lookup fails.

I gather you don't run DNS?  What's in /etc/resolv.conf then?

Is yaro.cycom.com the canonical (ie. leftmost) name in /etc/hosts?

Hope some of that leads you forwards,
Paul.
--

Lies, damned lies, and out-of-date documentation.
Currently contracted to Telstra, Sydney.

1. gcc error: "elf error: file insn-attrtab.o: elf_strptr: Request error: no string table"

I received the above error while trying to compile gcc 2.7.2 on a Sparc5
running Solaris 2.5. I know what the error is telling me at a surface
level, but I don't know what went wrong with my compile or how to fix it.
Can someone give me some insight?

Thanks,

-J-

2. Backup & Recovery

3. CD-ROM error: Current error sr0b:00: sense key Illegal Request

4. Linux 2.5.34

5. gethostbyname error

6. Control characters

7. (no subject)

8. rpc.statd gethostbyname error

9. gethostbyname error.

10. error when using gethostbyname with pthreads in C++

11. gethostbyname error