Can't use my modem after using DIP

Post by Bryon Nordqui » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hello, I was using DIP on my Linux machine and when I was done,
I issued a "dip -k" command to kill the dip process.  This
worked, but now Linux thinks /dev/cua1 is busy and won't let
me start DIP again.  The problem is still there even after I
cycle power.  Anyone know how to fix this?  Thanks.

-Bryon Nordquist

Post by James Dani » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Hello, I was using DIP on my Linux machine and when I was done,
>I issued a "dip -k" command to kill the dip process.  This
>worked, but now Linux thinks /dev/cua1 is busy and won't let
>me start DIP again.  The problem is still there even after I
>cycle power.  Anyone know how to fix this?  Thanks.

>-Bryon Nordquist

There's a file in there that locks the port you're using, to keep other
processes from using it and messing up the original process.  Killing dip
doesn't remove the file.  I forget the file name and path, but I know I've
started up Linux Kermit and it'll automatically remove the lock if the port
is inactive (it mentions the filename and path, I think).  Other, similar
programs that access that same port may do the same thing, like minicom.
I'm not at my Linux box at the moment, and I'd have to go look and see
what exact file it is that is altered.

James Daniel

1. Can't use my modem after using dip

Hello.  I'm have set up my linux machine to use DIP to connect to the
internet.  That works fine, but when I was done, I issued "dip -k" to
hangup up and this killed the dip program.  However, Linux now thinks
the device /dev/cua1 (my modem) is permanently busy.  I can't run
DIP a second time because it can't open /dev/cua1.  Does anyone know
how I can fix this?  Thanks.

-Bryon Nordquist

2. procmail? Anyone know where to find for SCO?

3. DIP scripts using ':'

4. ECC RAM supported by Linux?

5. Problems using 'dip'

6. Browser Analysis Tool

7. Using PPP - callback or using DIP

8. rlogind not working

9. PROBLEM: Modem hangsup when using dip/ppd when lagged

10. Connection speed of modem using dip

11. ProbProblem with modem under linux using DIP

12. help with using dip over a null modem

13. Modem in weird mode after using DIP