Post by dcro.. » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:40:06

Just upgraded to Rh7.0 and am unable to telnet into the RH7 box.
I have been trying to figure out the xinetd thing but to no avail.
I checked and the ftp rpm is installed.  Hosts.allow and hosts.deny are
fine.  What am I missing here?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by bob » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:36:59

Hi
I configured xinetd to allow telnet connections to my server with this
config file:

# /etc/xinetd/telnet.conf
service telnet
{
    flags          = REUSE
    socket_type    = stream
    wait           = no
    user           = root
    server         = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
    bind           = 192.168.0.1
    log_on_failure += USERID

Quote:}

you may need to modify the server line to point to your telnet daemon.
also adjust which IP address you want the telnet service to be listening
on, with the bind value.
Note that xinetd re-writes /etx/xinetd.conf when it starts up, using
information gathered from the config files in /etc/xinetd/.

hth
Bob

> Just upgraded to Rh7.0 and am unable to telnet into the RH7 box.
> I have been trying to figure out the xinetd thing but to no avail.
> I checked and the ftp rpm is installed.  Hosts.allow and hosts.deny are
> fine.  What am I missing here?

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Post by dcro.. » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:28:55

Well I finally figured out what was going on...because I installed RH7
as a workstation it does not install ftp, finger, etc.  Your suggestion
to add an entry in /etc/xinetd.d  for telnet would have worked, but I
decided to do a server installation instead.

Just wanted to post a follow-up in case someone else runs into this
problem.

Thanks again.

> Hi
> I configured xinetd to allow telnet connections to my server with this
> config file:

> # /etc/xinetd/telnet.conf
> service telnet
> {
>     flags          = REUSE
>     socket_type    = stream
>     wait           = no
>     user           = root
>     server         = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
>     bind           = 192.168.0.1
>     log_on_failure += USERID
> }

> you may need to modify the server line to point to your telnet daemon.
> also adjust which IP address you want the telnet service to be
listening
> on, with the bind value.
> Note that xinetd re-writes /etx/xinetd.conf when it starts up, using
> information gathered from the config files in /etc/xinetd/.

> hth
> Bob

> > Just upgraded to Rh7.0 and am unable to telnet into the RH7 box.
> > I have been trying to figure out the xinetd thing but to no avail.
> > I checked and the ftp rpm is installed.  Hosts.allow and hosts.deny
are
> > fine.  What am I missing here?

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/