Masquerading problems

Post by Karl Dan » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have been trying to set up a linux box + LAN to provide that LAN
access to the internet via the linux box. However, the IP masquerading
howto isn't very clear on a few points:

        Specifically: Which IP's do I use in netconfig? Should the host IP be
my ISP assigned one, or my LAN one? Should my GATEWAY be my ISP assigned
one, or the localhost?

        Also - if someone could point me in the direction of more adequate
documentation, I would be most grateful.

        Rince.

Masquerading problems

Post by Steve Vandive » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I have been trying to set up a linux box + LAN to provide that LAN
> access to the internet via the linux box. However, the IP masquerading
> howto isn't very clear on a few points:

>         Specifically: Which IP's do I use in netconfig? Should the host IP be
> my ISP assigned one, or my LAN one? Should my GATEWAY be my ISP assigned
> one, or the localhost?

>         Also - if someone could point me in the direction of more adequate
> documentation, I would be most grateful.

>         Rince.

You need to enable it in your rc.inet1 file for the range of IP's your using
--
      /_/_/_/   Steve 'Buxx' Vandiver Billings, Mo, USA

    _/_/_/    _/   _/  _/ _/  _/ _/  "Find out what you
   _/   _/  _/   _/    _/     _/    don't do well, then
 /_/_/_/   _/_/_/   _/ _/  _/ _/   don't do it"  -  Alf

Masquerading problems

Post by Didier Jug » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have been trying to set up a linux box + LAN to provide that LAN
>access to the internet via the linux box. However, the IP masquerading
>howto isn't very clear on a few points:

>    Specifically: Which IP's do I use in netconfig? Should the host IP be
>my ISP assigned one, or my LAN one? Should my GATEWAY be my ISP assigned
>one, or the localhost?

>    Also - if someone could point me in the direction of more adequate
>documentation, I would be most grateful.

>    Rince.

It does not really matter. As long as your ISP thinks you are a
workstation with the IP he gave you (usually dynamically assigned via
PPP or SLIP, not netconfig), you should be alright.

In my setup (which I am using right now), my local net is using
192.168.1.x addresses (linux box as a gateway is 192.168.1.1 on the
local ethernet as set in netconfig). The ISP assigns me an address in
the range of 204.49.XX.YY, which is the IP of the SLIP interface (a
given machine can have different addresses for ethernet and PPP).

The Windoze machines on the ethernet have 192.168.1.1 as a gateway
(they do not have to know the ISP assigned IP)

However, the linux gateway must have ist default route set to the ISP
provided IP, otherwise, the linux box will not know where to send the
packets.

    Didier

1. IP Masquerade problem: HTTP problems.

I have a cute little network set up, 1 RH 5.2 server/gateway,
and two other machines that can boot either win95 or Linux....

I've got masquerading working fine, as far as I can tell.  (telnet
masquerades fine...I assume FTP and others do as well.)

However, some web pages fail to load.  The DNS part works,
ie Netscape says it contacted the host, but the page will
not load.

This only happens on some sites.  For instance, this one fails to
load under IE 4.x (win95), NS (Win95) and NS (Linux):

http://www.inso.com

However, Netscape's home page loads every time.  From the gateway
machine, I have no problems (the www.inso.com page loads fine, as well
as others.)

I've a hunch that the web server is trying to do some validation
against my Masqueraded machine that is failing...but I don't know
for sure...

Several questions:

Anyone seen this before?

Got a solution/work-around?

Would setting up a proxy web server fix this particular problem?
        If so, got any documentation links you'd suggest?

Thanks,
Ben

--

Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html

2. Virtual consoles sometimes get hosed.

3. ip-masquerading problem

4. Firewall too CLOSED

5. IP masquerading problem ?

6. NNTP server

7. RH5.0, masquerading problem Win95 -> Linux -> Internet

8. 9GXE64 Card Stuck in VGA

9. Another IP Masquerading problem

10. IP Masquerade Problems

11. IP masquerade problem!

12. Masquerading problem

13. kernel 2.4.5 Implement IP Masquerading problem?