3c90x 3Com drivers and 2.3.* kernels?

Post by Nick McGrog » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Is it possible to use the 3Com 3c90x network drivers with the 2.3.*
kernel?  I tried compiling (3c90x 1.0.0i) against 2.3.48 earlier and
had a /large/ number of errors.  It may be that I'm doing something
stupid but I've compiled previous versions of the drivers against
2.2.12 with no problems (and the new version too, although I haven't
actually /tried/ it...).

TIA,

Nick.

1. 3Com 3c905B and 3c90x driver troubles

This is only my second linux install, so please go easy on me.  I've come to
linux from an
irix/solaris background so am having to worry about drivers for the first
time...

I've just installed RH 6.1 on an intel 686.  This machine has a 3Com 3c905B
PCI 10/100 Combo
NIC, so according to the RH Hardware Compatibility guide I can't use the
3c59x driver, hence I
went to http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linuxdownload.htm and
downloaded the
3c90x driver source.  Since there isn't a pre-compiled driver for the
2.2.12-20 kernel, I tried to
compile (using the command specified in the source file).  I know the driver
README says it's
only tested for RH 6.0, but I thought I'd have a go anyway.  But, you
guessed it, the compile
failed - lots of errors, which I won't go into now.  Anyway, I also tried to
compile the driver on
my only other machine, running RH 6.0 (2.2.5-22), but it failed on there
too, in the same manner.

Basically, I'd like to know if I've any chance of getting this driver to
compile, or if I don't need to and
can use another driver, or if I've just got the wrong end of the stick and
am doing something completely
stupid.  The machine that's running RH 6.0 has a 3c905 NIC so the 3c59x
driver is fine and I didn't
have to worry about any of this.  I suppose it's a good learning experience
though...

Can anyone help me out?

TIA

Craig
--

Systems Management
University of Leicester Computer Centre Leicester LE1 7RH

2. Recompiling Slackware 3.6 (kernel 2.0.35) with IP Forwarding

3. Compiling error for 3com Ethernet driver 3c90x on Dell Optiplex GX1

4. How To: Use Console and Terminal Windows In x Interface

5. 3Com 3C90X (Etherlink XL) -- Any Driver?

6. Reveal Sound Card

7. New 3com 3c90x driver not working

8. gated for solaris ?

9. 3Com 3C90X (Etherlink XL) -- Any Driver?

10. 3c90x: new 3com GPL driver

11. Compiling error for 3com Ethernet driver 3c90x on Dell Optiplex GX1

12. Drivers for 3COM PCI Ethernet Card (3C90X)

13. 3Com 3C90x driver problem