Is it possible to run Linux X Windows over LAN ?

Is it possible to run Linux X Windows over LAN ?

Post by luis » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 07:03:56

Use the X-Win32
You can found it in tucows

Luis
www.atalho.com

Quote:> Is it possible to run a X-Windows session over a LAN from a Windows 98
> client for example.

> I would like to be able to run a Linux X windows session from a client.
> Along the lines of a Citrix client, is this possible.

> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

> Phil

Is it possible to run Linux X Windows over LAN ?

Post by Mark » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 13:34:05

I think Vmware would do the job nicely. I could be wrong though.

Quote:> Is it possible to run a X-Windows session over a LAN from a Windows 98
> client for example.

> I would like to be able to run a Linux X windows session from a client.
> Along the lines of a Citrix client, is this possible.

> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

> Phil

Is it possible to run Linux X Windows over LAN ?

Post by H?ka » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 17:04:24

But X-win32 costs $200!!
I have found X-WinPro from labtam (www.labf.com) that costs $90
but to much anyway.. Does it exist some other win32 based X-servers?
Maybe any free or cheap one?
--
/H?kan
My email address is not valid use

Quote:> Use the X-Win32
> You can found it in tucows

Is it possible to run Linux X Windows over LAN ?

Post by Raymond Doetje » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:42:35

Citrix and TerminalServer is something simular as X-Windows (more
optimized for bandwidth usage).

You need to install a X-Server on the Windows PC and than you are able to
start X applications over the Network.

Raymond

Post by Tim Hayn » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:14:16

> But X-win32 costs $200!!
> I have found X-WinPro from labtam (www.labf.com) that costs $90
> but to much anyway.. Does it exist some other win32 based X-servers?
> Maybe any free or cheap one?

It's not the same thing (it's intensive on the server, for starters), but
you might find VNC interesting: <http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/>.

~Tim