ISP networking hardware outlay

Post by 7 » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:27:40

Just a newbie type of question.

Can an ISP lower its networking equipment outlay by buying faster hardware?
Basically as harware gets faster, fewer 'average joes' hang on the
line for slow downloads, thus fewer resources being kept on-line
to service the request when you have a large number of average joes.

Background to this is that I'm downloading Quantian new version liveCD.
Clocking in at 1.7Gb for the new DVD version,
thats going to take 6 hours with current ISP.
But I was abroad a few months ago in a near third world
country, for cheaper price I have more than double the speed
and would have done it in 3 hours and not likely
to repeat my download action for some time.

Hence the nagging thoughts/question.

Post by P.T. Breu » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:37:49

> Can an ISP lower its networking equipment outlay by buying faster hardware?

No - it's the line and technology that you buy or lease that dictates
the speed, not the hardware you use for it (to any noticable extent).
Hardware dictates uptime, reliability, quality of service, etc.

Peter

ISP networking hardware outlay

Post by Abdullah Ramazanogl » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:54:56

Quote:> Just a newbie type of question.

> Can an ISP lower its networking equipment outlay by buying faster hardware?
> Basically as harware gets faster, fewer 'average joes' hang on the
> line for slow downloads, thus fewer resources being kept on-line
> to service the request when you have a large number of average joes.

Not hardware but faster local (customer) and backbone (internet) links
would help. However I suspect it will serve more to increase the amount of
downloads than shorten the amount of time an average user spends online.

BTW, if readers around the world contribute, it would be interesting to
compare how internet access is priced at various places around the world.

In my locality (Turkey) it is:

Dial-up (subscribed): 31.45 EUR/yr + 0.34 to 0.67 EUR/hr depending on the
day and time.
Dial-up (ad-hoc)    : 0 EUR/yr + 1.17 to 2.35 EUR/hr (same day/time deps.)

ADSL 128/32   : 26.58  EUR/mo --> that's me
ADSL 256/64   : 37.41  EUR/mo
ADSL 512/128  : 59.11  EUR/mo
ADSL 1024/256 : 97.07  EUR/mo
ADSL 2048/512 : 151.30 EUR/mo

And sharing ADSL connection is permitted.

--

Ramazanoglu     | myrealbox |
________________| D.0.T c?m |__

Post by Malk » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:16:47

>> Just a newbie type of question.

>> Can an ISP lower its networking equipment outlay by buying faster
>> hardware? Basically as harware gets faster, fewer 'average joes' hang
>> on the line for slow downloads, thus fewer resources being kept
>> on-line to service the request when you have a large number of
>> average joes.

> Not hardware but faster local (customer) and backbone (internet) links
> would help. However I suspect it will serve more to increase the
> amount of downloads than shorten the amount of time an average user
> spends online.

> BTW, if readers around the world contribute, it would be interesting
> to compare how internet access is priced at various places around the
> world.

> In my locality (Turkey) it is:

> Dial-up (subscribed): 31.45 EUR/yr + 0.34 to 0.67 EUR/hr depending on
> the day and time.
> Dial-up (ad-hoc)    : 0 EUR/yr + 1.17 to 2.35 EUR/hr (same day/time
> deps.)

> ADSL 128/32   : 26.58  EUR/mo --> that's me
> ADSL 256/64   : 37.41  EUR/mo
> ADSL 512/128  : 59.11  EUR/mo
> ADSL 1024/256 : 97.07  EUR/mo
> ADSL 2048/512 : 151.30 EUR/mo

> And sharing ADSL connection is permitted.

Here in California, US:

I pay $56.99usd a month for Comcast cable connection (3mbps down,
256mbps up). With various deals (like if the subscriber already has
their cable tv service), the cost can be closer to $40/month.

DSL (1.5mbps down, 128mbps up) is around $30/month.

Dial-up varies depending on the ISP, but can range from $10/month to
$around 25/month (with AOL being the most expensive, I think). There
are usually different plans with dial-up ISP's where the ISP will offer
a cheaper plan for limited access. The limits are for the number of
hours the subscriber uses and AFAIK the time of day doesn't enter into
it.

HTH,

Malke
--
"I have a cunning plan..."

ISP networking hardware outlay

Post by Robert E A Harv » Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:50:21

Quote:> BTW, if readers around the world contribute, it would be interesting to
> compare how internet access is priced at various places around the world.

> In my locality (Turkey) it is:

> Dial-up (subscribed): 31.45 EUR/yr + 0.34 to 0.67 EUR/hr depending on the
> day and time.
> Dial-up (ad-hoc)    : 0 EUR/yr + 1.17 to 2.35 EUR/hr (same day/time deps.)

> ADSL 128/32   : 26.58  EUR/mo --> that's me
> ADSL 256/64   : 37.41  EUR/mo
> ADSL 512/128  : 59.11  EUR/mo
> ADSL 1024/256 : 97.07  EUR/mo
> ADSL 2048/512 : 151.30 EUR/mo

> And sharing ADSL connection is permitted.

Here in the UK my ISP charges
Dial Up (subscribed) 65 UKp/mo unlimited, 12 UKp/mo 20 hour cap.
Dial Up  (ad hoc)  0.04UKp/min, approx
ADSL 512/256    : 19.15 UKp/mo uncapped, 50:1 contention
ADSL 2048/256   : 59.56 UKp/mo uncapped, 20:1 contention

that's around 10%a bit cheaper than the big ISPs.  Some, like Wanado
and Tiscali don't seem to offer uncapped DSL at all.

Post by Jeroen Geilma » Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:56:07

> BTW, if readers around the world contribute, it would be interesting to
> compare how internet access is priced at various places around the world.

> In my locality (Turkey) it is:

> Dial-up (subscribed): 31.45 EUR/yr + 0.34 to 0.67 EUR/hr depending on the
> day and time.
> Dial-up (ad-hoc)    : 0 EUR/yr + 1.17 to 2.35 EUR/hr (same day/time deps.)

> ADSL 128/32   : 26.58  EUR/mo --> that's me
> ADSL 256/64   : 37.41  EUR/mo
> ADSL 512/128  : 59.11  EUR/mo
> ADSL 1024/256 : 97.07  EUR/mo
> ADSL 2048/512 : 151.30 EUR/mo

> And sharing ADSL connection is permitted.

Holland (XS4ALL ADSL):

I pay around 51 EUR for my 2400/420 connection, on 25:1 uncapped.

But you can get as low as 79 EUR for 7.2 mbits uncapped.

All your bits are belong to us - again.

1. losing network connection on ISP hardware reset

Hello All,

I administer a busy server running RedHat 6.1 running kernel 2.2-16smp
physically located at an ISP. Every now and then the ISP blows
transformers which knocks out power long enough for all the ISP router
equipment to come crashing down.

My server is on a separate UPS, so it keeps running while everything is
down. The problem is when the ISP routers and other equipment come back
up, my machine is still running but does not reconnect to the network
resulting in somebody having to go in and physically reboot my server.

The load on the machine is usually around .5 to 1, so I could patch
together some scripts to try to detect this situation (checking for the
load at 0 for a few hours and doing an ifconfig down/up through cron.)
I'd prefer to not do such hokery, if there are better ideas or other
workarounds please let me know.

John

2. Running Linux on a Zeos P60 Pantera

3. ISP hardware/software choices (performance comparison)

4. Linux compatible with Pentium, multiport cards?

5. ISP server hardware compatibility

6. What's wrong with this named.boot?

7. access isp hardware directly using ppp in linux

8. Scheduler

9. ISP Hardware

10. What kind of ISDN hardware for ISP?

11. Required info/hardware for ISP

12. Linux ISP hardware

13. Need: ISP News Server(INN) Hardware Recommendations