Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

Post by tek » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:12:26

I want to add another domain name to the search order but whn I tried
either the service doesn't start properly or from Windows the DNS
Suffix search order isn't displayed and or set properly. Example
scenario.

I first set the dhcpd.conf settings for the multiple names.
option domain-name "linux.net linux.org";

Then from Windows PC I run ipconfig /all
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : linux.net linux.org

Then I run a ping command
C:\> ping www
Ping request could not find host www. Please check the name and try
again.

As you can it didn't work. However, if the option is set to
"linux.net" only, then the ping of www works. BTW, www is mapped to
the IP address of the DNS server from within the /var/named zone file.
When I ping the FQDN of www.linux.net everything works.

C:\>ping www.linux.net

Pinging linux.linux.org [192.168.0.202] with 32 bytes of data:

1. named.conf "option forwarder" vs. resolv.conf "nameserver"?

Can someone explain to this DNS/BIND newbie the functional distinction
between the "options forwarder" in named.conf and the "nameserver" in
resolv.conf?

To me, they sound like they act identically: if a name cannot be resolved
locally, the specified remote host is called upon to do the resolution.

I currently have my RedHat v6.0 system (/w BIND v8.2) configured with the
addresses of 2 nameservers in /etc/named.conf.  If a name can't be resolved
from my local cache, the request for resolution is forwarded to either the
primary or secondary nameserver of my ISP, both listed in /etc/resolv.conf.
I'm wondering, though, if there would be any advantage in having the
addresses of those nameservers in "options forward" statements.  Would
there?

Thank you.

***** Steve Snyder *****

2. Network packet and application

3. USING SENDMAIL "user@domain.com" vs. "user@host.domain.com"

4. How to read the processes table ??

5. how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

6. Virtual Domain, HOW?

7. NIS domain names and DNS domain names not matching.

8. lpd, Ghostview and umount

9. Where to register for a domain name with ".us"?

10. Is a domain name required for accessing a personal "web site"?

11. FW: Mangled domain name in "from" field?

12. : "Virtual" Domain Names w/Solaris 2.4

13. ".com.hk" Domain Name Information