Need example of the hosts.lpd file

Post by mark gascherman » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 10:14:31

I'm trying to get remote printing enabled between a couple of Red Hat
6.2 PC's
I configured a remote printer on my printerless PC with printtool, but
when I try to print I get a 'connection refused' error.
I read the man page and it said I need to list the names of machines
allowed to print remotely in either /etc/hosts.equiv or /etc/hosts.lpd
but I can't seem to find an example of these files or their format.

I tried just entering the name of the remote PC but that didn't seem to
help.

Mark G

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 18:22:01

>I'm trying to get remote printing enabled between a couple of Red Hat
>6.2 PC's
>I configured a remote printer on my printerless PC with printtool, but
>when I try to print I get a 'connection refused' error.
>I read the man page and it said I need to list the names of machines
>allowed to print remotely in either /etc/hosts.equiv or /etc/hosts.lpd
>but I can't seem to find an example of these files or their format.

>I tried just entering the name of the remote PC but that didn't seem to
>help.

It would be nice if the Printing-HOWTO mentioned something about the
hosts files.  You simply list one hostname per line.  Can you ping or
otherwise access the remote box from the print server by that name?

If that is correct, maybe your printcap on the remote is incorrect.  I
have seen that before, and even when I corrected that person's printcap
that they posted, it wouldn't sink in and they kept repeating their error.

You might try stopping lpd on the server and then restart it with the
switch for debugging, so your logs will tell you what the server has to
say about the attempted connection

Post by Dave Bro » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 13:26:16

>I read the man page and it said I need to list the names of machines
>allowed to print remotely in either /etc/hosts.equiv or /etc/hosts.lpd
>but I can't seem to find an example of these files or their format.

At one point, I had to put "fully-qualified" domain names in /etc/hosts.lpd.
Just using aliases didn't seem to work.  (That was several years ago, and
several Linux distros ago, as well.  I also had problems with LPRng, and
went back to standard lpr.) Also, make sure you have
corresponding entries in /etc/hosts.  Using /etc/hosts.equiv is not
necessary, nor particularly desireable.

BTW, I'm sure that you restarted your lpd after making changes... (or
rebooted).

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

Post by mark gascherman » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:21:26

> At one point, I had to put "fully-qualified" domain names in /etc/hosts.lpd.
> Just using aliases didn't seem to work.  (That was several years ago, and
> several Linux distros ago, as well.

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the tip!

Mark Gaschermann

Post by mark gascherman » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:22:52

> At one point, I had to put "fully-qualified" domain names in /etc/hosts.lpd.
> Just using aliases didn't seem to work.  (That was several years ago, and
> several Linux distros ago, as well.

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the tip!

Mark Gaschermann

1. lpd ignoring the hosts.lpd file ???

Hi Anyone,

I've got a problem with lpd.  My set up is a main computer and a LAN to
a diskless workstation which boots via bootp/tftp then NFS mounts its
root off a subdirectory on my main machine dedicated to it and NFS
mounts the usual /usr/bin /usr/sbin type directories so binaries aren't
duplicated unneccessarily.  Diskless workstation has simple old line
printer attached.  Most everything runs fine on it (X, etc., ftp client
and server, telnet client and server, mail, doom) and once I set lpd
running in the startup, lpr commands worked fine.

However can't print from main computer to this printer attached to the
diskless workstation.  It seems to be a privilege problem as when I
queue jobs they just sit there and any lpq command brings back an error
about "dlworks: lpr: lp: your host is not authorised on this machine",
yet hosts.lpd contains perfectly good entries which work fine in the
corresponding file, hosts.allow, to let ftp services work.  What's more
the printcap entry on the diskless workstation doesn't contain the rs
field.

Howto's and man pages are of no further use.

Anyone got any clues?

2. !! Filenames with spaces problem !!

3. need help with the hosts.lpd file

4. getting a signal when there's data available

5. example of hosts.allow and hosts.deny file

6. Problems with ups-3.31-RGA

7. hosts.lpd file entry for unrestricted access?

8. Ext2 Directory Index - Delete Performance

9. hosts.lpd file doesn't understand *, what can I do ?

10. Writting hosts.equiv/hosts.lpd files

11. *hosts.lpd & hosts.equiv

12. remote printer for other unix...lpd, host.lpd, etc

13. Need an example file from a quota file