point one and one dns at fast hosts server

point one and one dns at fast hosts server

Post by benpjohn.. » Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:49:10

I recently moved my server to the UK from 1and1 to fasthosts.

My domain name remains with 1and1 and I tried to use the servers
reverse lookup address as a nameserver to allow my subdomains to work.

This arrangement worked when I was using a 1and1 server but now the
1and1 control panel will only give the completely unhelpful DNS Error
message when attempting this rearangement.

I have checked my subdomains are functioning by setting my DNS here to
my servers name server and they function just fine.

I can't figure out whats causing the criptic DNS Error messages and
both sides tech support have not been able to help.

Post by chris-use.. » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:12:01

> 1and1 control panel will only give the completely unhelpful DNS Error
> message

Which is...?

Quote:> I can't figure out whats causing the criptic DNS Error messages and
> both sides tech support have not been able to help.

Clues and examples, please.

Chris.

point one and one dns at fast hosts server

Post by benpjohn.. » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:35:24

        Dec 20, 4:12 pm   show options
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:12:01 +0000
Subject: Re: point one and one dns at fast hosts server
original | Report Abuse

> 1and1 control panel will only give the completely unhelpful DNS Error
> message

Which is...?

"DNS Error" their "friendly" system does not elaborate

Quote:> I can't figure out whats causing the criptic DNS Error messages and
> both sides tech support have not been able to help.

Clues and examples, please.

I have a reverse lookup adress: server213-171-221-39.live-servers.net
which i have tried placing into the primary nameserver field of the one
and one control panel. Then when i press save it goes on its merry way
for a few hours before reporting the error.

An example subdomain would be images.vdeep.com

Note that I have currently set the domain to use 1&1s nameserver which
only allows one A record and a couple of MXs so you wont see the
effects there.

However I have been using the domain sexlearn.com for testing (have
also setup corresponding records on the servers nameserver). You can
see the results with that domain (at the time of writing the settings
are still being updated).

I believe the problem could be at either end and most likely is the DNS
servers not speaking to each other properly. If you can think of a way
I can narrow down which side is causing the problem I would be very
grateful.

Thank you for responding,

Ben

point one and one dns at fast hosts server

Post by Moe Tr » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:46:54

On 20 Dec 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article

>I recently moved my server to the UK from 1and1 to fasthosts.

Slightly less tainted, but both are pretty clueless.

Quote:>My domain name remains with 1and1 and I tried to use the servers
>reverse lookup address as a nameserver to allow my subdomains to work.

>This arrangement worked when I was using a 1and1 server but now the
>1and1 control panel will only give the completely unhelpful DNS Error
>message when attempting this rearangement.

Of course.  Schlund + Partner AG doesn't control the IP space of fasthosts.
Please consult the DNS-HOWTO, and gain some concept of how things work.
Briefly, someone looking to resolve the hostname from an IP asks the
top level domain servers who is authoritative for (for example) 213.172.x.x
and gets referred to some server. That server looks into it's magic tricks
and finds that 213.171.192.0/19 belongs to FasthostInternet Ltd, and is
referred to a host there. The domain server at FasthostInternet looks in
it's zone files, and pulls out another referral, or a definitive answer.
Just because some host in South SpamVille is serving the hostname for your
domain doesn't mean anything UNLESS they are also hosting your server in
their IP space.

Quote:>I can't figure out whats causing the criptic DNS Error messages and
>both sides tech support have not been able to help.

Dump both, and find someone who can at least _spell_ DNS.

        Old guy

Post by chris-use.. » Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:27:42

> Just because some host in South SpamVille is serving the hostname for your
> domain doesn't mean anything UNLESS they are also hosting your server in
> their IP space.

Not strictly true.

My DNS is handled by ZoneEdit. My web server runs at home. ZoneEdit is
not my ISP. (However, my ISP has put an rDNS record in for me.)

Chris

point one and one dns at fast hosts server

Post by Moe Tr » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 04:48:09

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article

>> Just because some host in South SpamVille is serving the hostname for your
>> domain doesn't mean anything UNLESS they are also hosting your server in
>> their IP space.

>Not strictly true.

No, it really is true.

Quote:>My DNS is handled by ZoneEdit. My web server runs at home. ZoneEdit is
>not my ISP. (However, my ISP has put an rDNS record in for me.)

Translating so you can understand what I wrote, but you didn't quote,
"ZoneEdit" can not set the rDNS record for your domain. They are not
authoritative for the IP space, so no one is going to ask them anyway.
Your ISP (where the domain is actually hosted) is the only one who can
set an rDNS pointer. You can see this if you try using 'dig' with the
recursive flag and tracing all of the calls. You can also see this by
asking the RIR (in your case whois.ripe.net) who "owns" the IP address
space. The answer won't be "ZoneEdit".

By the same token, if you told your registrar that "ZoneEdit" is the
authoritative name server for your domain, outsiders are not going to be
asking your ISP what the address of your domain is.

        Old guy

Post by chris-use.. » Fri, 06 Jan 2006 22:17:02

> Translating so you can understand what I wrote, but you didn't quote,
> "ZoneEdit" can not set the rDNS record for your domain.

Agreed.

Quote:> Your ISP (where the domain is actually hosted) is the only one who can
> set an rDNS pointer.

Agreed.

Quote:> By the same token, if you told your registrar that "ZoneEdit" is the
> authoritative name server for your domain, outsiders are not going to be
> asking your ISP what the address of your domain is.

Also agreed.

My ISP handles rDNS for "my" address space (which is actually part of
the ISP's address space). ZoneEdit handles forward DNS for my domain name.

Chris

1. 2 computers (one slow and one fast)

Hello.
I have an old 386 33MHz 8 MB RAM.
I'm thinking about buying a newer computer, probably
an AMD K5-166 with 64 MD RAM.
I'm going to install Slackware on the new computer. My question is
if I'm able to connect these two computers (in some way) and let the
slower computer use some of the power in the new one (the old one
should also run Linux)?

If you have any suggestion about if this is possible or how to do
it, please tell me.

Gunnar Lindholm

2. DOOM for UNIX

3. Multiple hosts one one machine?

4. Kernel too big after compilation / mouse problems

5. Only one 3c503 card supported in one host?

6. Samba problem (Access denied)

7. One easy, one less so, one not quite so.....

8. impossibly slow

9. apache, day one, hour one, minute one, local write permission !?!?!?!?

10. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

11. MULTIPLE DNS HOSTS ON ONE MACHINE

12. config /etc/resolv.conf to use /etc/hosts first for DNS??

13. RESOLVE Domain Names: hosts file FIRST, then DNS????