SAN mounted file sys on Red Hat 4 server

SAN mounted file sys on Red Hat 4 server

Post by Petyr Davi » Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:43:08

can't be NFS mounted on Solaris 9 V880

I have a SAN file system mounted on a RH ES 4_2 server. It has been
correctly exported, yet it can't be mounted on Solaris 9 server.

/var/log/messages shows an authenticated request from the SUN server

The SUN server just fails with RPC error 5 - timed out

As a test: I exported /tmp on my Red Hat server
and on the SUN server issued this command:

# mount -F nfs RedHatserve:/tmp /mnt/RedHat/tmp

worked like a charm

haven't heard back from SUN yet

any thoughts?

tx

Post by Jim Hick » Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:45:19

> can't be NFS mounted on Solaris 9 V880

> I have a SAN file system mounted on a RH ES 4_2 server. It has been
> correctly exported, yet it can't be mounted on Solaris 9 server.

> /var/log/messages shows an authenticated request from the SUN server

> The SUN server just fails with RPC error 5 - timed out

> As a test: I exported /tmp on my Red Hat server
> and on the SUN server issued this command:

> # mount -F nfs RedHatserve:/tmp /mnt/RedHat/tmp

> worked like a charm

> haven't heard back from SUN yet

> any thoughts?

> tx

In order for an AIX system to mount a RH ES server, the export needs the
insecure parameter defined ie: (rw,insecure). This might be required for
Solaris. It has to do with which ports are used to complete the mounts.
The insecure mode uses the defined ports, secure mode assigns ports
dynamically.

Post by Ian Northeas » Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:00:14

>> can't be NFS mounted on Solaris 9 V880

>> I have a SAN file system mounted on a RH ES 4_2 server. It has been
>> correctly exported, yet it can't be mounted on Solaris 9 server.

What exactly do you mean by a "SAN file system"? Is it a filesystem which
resides on a disk in a storage array which appears as a physical SCSI disk
in Linux, or is it a filesystem shared out by e.g. NFS from a NAS device?
You should be able to export the former but not the latter.

>> /var/log/messages shows an authenticated request from the SUN server

>> The SUN server just fails with RPC error 5 - timed out

>> As a test: I exported /tmp on my Red Hat server and on the SUN server
>> issued this command:

>> # mount -F nfs RedHatserve:/tmp /mnt/RedHat/tmp

>> worked like a charm

>> haven't heard back from SUN yet

>> any thoughts?

>> tx

> In order for an AIX system to mount a RH ES server, the export needs the
> insecure parameter defined ie: (rw,insecure). This might be required for
> Solaris.

It is not.

Quote:> It has to do with which ports are used to complete the mounts.
> The insecure mode uses the defined ports, secure mode assigns ports
> dynamically.

It is to do with AIX's default behaviour of using a high source port
number on mount requests. This can be overridden on AIX, it is not
necessary to use "insecure" in the export on Linux. The source port number
is dynamic in either case. IME only AIX does this, and only Linux (and an
obscure and obsolete version of UNIX from Siemens) is fussy about it.

Regards, Ian

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. WWW problems

3. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

4. batterie drain on Toshiba NB

5. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

6. pci vs. agp graphics cards?

7. NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot

8. Ultra 5 X server problems

9. Red Hat at San Francisco LUG meeting 8/23

10. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

11. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

12. ** Warning ** Veritas NetBackup 4.5 and files >2GB under Red Hat Adv Server 2.1