SuSE Linux Firewall on CD

Post by Stu » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 07:17:34

Does anyone have experience with SuSE Linux Firewall on CD?
http://www.suse.com/us/products/suse_business/firewall/index.htm

Have you found this to be a good firewall and are there any issues I need to be
aware of that aren't in the documentation?
I am pretty much new to networking under linux (or under anythin else, lol) so any
and all constructive advice and opinions are welcome.  I am planning on using SuSE
Linux Firewall on CD at home.  There will three or four computers on the ethernet
besides the firewall box.  My computer will run RedHat7.1.   It will be about a
month before I attempt to install SuSE Linux Firewall on CD. In the meatime I am
setting up IPChains with my box, a hub, and the other computers on the ethernet.
All computers except mine are running Windows.  Is there any obvious problems or
conflicts with what I am planning on doing?

SuSE Linux Firewall on CD

Post by Marc Gree » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 07:39:39

>Does anyone have experience with SuSE Linux Firewall on CD?
>http://www.suse.com/us/products/suse_business/firewall/index.htm
>Have you found this to be a good firewall and are there any issues
>I need to be aware of that aren't in the documentation?
>I am pretty much new to networking under linux (or under anythin else,
>lol) so any and all constructive advice and opinions are welcome.
>I am planning on using SuSE Linux Firewall on CD at home.  There will
>three or four computers on the ethernet besides the firewall box.  My
>computer will run RedHat7.1.   It will be about a month before I attempt
>to install SuSE Linux Firewall on CD. In the meatime I am setting up
>IPChains with my box, a hub, and the other computers on the ethernet.
>All computers except mine are running Windows.  Is there any obvious
>problems or conflicts with what I am planning on doing?

No probs there. What's wrong with ipchains or iptables though? Why use
SuSE Firewall? Just curious why you prefer it :-)

Marc

SuSE Linux Firewall on CD

Post by Stu » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 08:15:46

> No probs there. What's wrong with ipchains or iptables though? Why use
> SuSE Firewall? Just curious why you prefer it :-)

> Marc

There is a lot of great stuff on it, IMHO: check out this link:
http://www.suse.com/us/products/suse_business/firewall/faqs.html

Designed as application level gateway
Packet filtering with IPCHAINS
SuSE Proxy Suite
SQUID http proxy
Graphical ACL configuration
SSH support
Caching-only DNS
Postfix mail relay
Syslog

SuSE Linux Firewall on CD

wrong URL, sorry folks. here is the right one:

Post by nord » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 07:35:03

> Does anyone have experience with SuSE Linux Firewall on CD?
> http://www.suse.com/us/products/suse_business/firewall/index.htm

> Have you found this to be a good firewall and are there any issues I need
> to be aware of that aren't in the documentation?
> I am pretty much new to networking under linux (or under anythin else,
> lol) so any and all constructive advice and opinions are welcome.  I am
> planning on using SuSE Linux Firewall on CD at home.

I dont't have any experience with it, but there was a really nice article
in the German Linux Magazin. The first thing that you may not be aware of
is the price: It sells for 1330 (=approx US$1200). According to the Linux
Magazin it is a very good product with a couple of oddities in the GUI. And
they say that you need Linux experience to use the full potential of the
firewall. Btw, it does not need to be installed. You simply boot from the
CD and save your configuration on a floppy (that's why it's called
"Firewall on CD").
So if you're new to networking then you should probably not buy it but
simply setup a packet filter with the RedHat software that you have anyway.
Get one of those sample ipchains scripts that are available everywhere,
deactivate all services you don't need and install all updates. That should
give you enough security.

Hope this helped

nordi

SuSE Linux Firewall on CD

Post by Stu » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 02:53:35

"nordi"  wrote ...

Quote:> So if you're new to networking then you should probably not buy it
but
> simply setup a packet filter with the RedHat software that you have
anyway.
> Get one of those sample ipchains scripts that are available
everywhere,
> deactivate all services you don't need and install all updates.
That should
> give you enough security.

Hi nordi, thanks for the info.  I probably will just use what comes
with RH. What do you think of this?
http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/

Also, does anyone have any experience with DevilLinux?

1. Suse linux firewall on CD

HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi!

We are trying to set a suse firewall on CD, but it simply doesn't work
:-(

We are able to ping the (hardware-)router throught the firewall, but
that's it. No further services...

If somebody has an idea, where the fault could be, please help!

The machine runnning the firewall has two built-in network cards, one
internal one external.

It should allow access for users to the internet, smtp, pop3.
There should be no access from outside through the firewall except
ssh.

If somebody could for example send me a working configuration file (of
course not from an actual machine) this would be a great help. I know,
this is perhaps asked for too much, but every available help is
welcome.

Sincerely
Peter Dost

2. Problem with waitpid

3. SuSE Linux Firewall on CD

4. Renumber command in ctlinnd

5. Suse Firewall on CD: mailproxy

6. Shared memory problems on Sun

7. Suse "Firewall on a CD"--anybody got instructions for this?

8. allow ports above 1024

9. suse 6.2 linux and firewall / forwarding

10. Updating SuSE Linux from Behind a Firewall?

11. Firewall (Linux Suse 6.3) and Napster

12. suse and linux firewall

13. Netmeeting works outbound only through firewall under SuSE 6.4 Linux!