UUCP over TCP logins

Post by Jim Seymo » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Help!

I've been trying all night to get UUCP-over-TCP login to work
on my RH5.0 Linux box.

The problem seems to be in uucico - I can't seem to get it to
accept a valid login.  I've been through every FAQ and HOWTO
I can find.

I created an account for the calling machine.  Then did a
grep <host> /etc/passwd >/usr/lib/uucp/passwd.  And edited
the resulting file to make it "host password".  According to
everything I've been able to find, this *should* work.

Tried ":" in place of the space.  Terminated the line with a
":".  Ran strings against uucico and observed "/passwd", so
tried putting the file at "/passwd".  Tried different
ownerships and permissions settings.  Everything I could think
of.  No go.  /var/log/uucp/Log says "ERROR: Bad login".

<rant>

Unix system in the world???
</rant>

Sorry...  I know it's bad form to rant when you're asking for
help, but fer cryin' out loud.

Thanks,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour

http://home.msen.com/~jimsun

UUCP over TCP logins

Post by Michael Fauro » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: I've been trying all night to get UUCP-over-TCP login to work
: on my RH5.0 Linux box.

: The problem seems to be in uucico - I can't seem to get it to
: accept a valid login.  I've been through every FAQ and HOWTO
: I can find.

: I created an account for the calling machine.  Then did a
: grep <host> /etc/passwd >/usr/lib/uucp/passwd.  And edited
: the resulting file to make it "host password".  According to
: everything I've been able to find, this *should* work.

uucico need to be run out of inetd, with an entry in /etc/inetd.conf
that looks like this:

        uucp stream tcp nowait uucp /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -l

Be sure to send a "kill -HUP PID" to the running inetd process after
updating /etc/inetd.conf.

Depending upon how Taylor UUCP was compiled, you may need to setup
the password file as /etc/uucp/passwd.  Be sure that user "uucp" has
permissions to read the file.

You can verify that things are working by doing a "telnet hostname
540" from the remote machine to verify that the changes you've made to
inetd are working and that you can login with the username and password
specified in the uucico password file.

If you can login okay you should get an "Shere" prompt.

BTW: This question really belongs in comp.mail.uucp.

--
+---------+-----------------+------------------------------------------------+
| Michael |     mfaurot     |            I'm a dyslexic agnostic.            |

UUCP over TCP logins

Post by Jim Seymo » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>: I've been trying all night to get UUCP-over-TCP login to work
>: on my RH5.0 Linux box.

[snip]

> uucico need to be run out of inetd, ...

[snip]

Had that part.  (RH5 has that entry already there: commented-out.)
But thanks.

Quote:

> Depending upon how Taylor UUCP was compiled, you may need to setup
> the password file as /etc/uucp/passwd.  Be sure that user "uucp" has
> permissions to read the file.

*That* was the problem!  I was making the silly (?) assumption that
"passwd" should have gone in /usr/lib/uucp, with the rest of the
config files.  Unreasonable assumption on my part.

I got it a couple of hours later, after remembering that the "truss
equivalent" under Linux was "strace."  (See, I had already wanted to
go that route, but couldn't remember for the life of me the name of
"strace".  Nor did any of the manual pages I could think of that
might be related list it under "See Also".)  As soon as I strace'd
uucico, I found the solution.

I would've cancelled the article I posted at that time, but for the
fact that it had already been propagating for better than an hour and
I was flat burned out :-).

Quote:

> You can verify ...

[snip]

Knew that.  But again: thanks.

Quote:

> BTW: This question really belongs in comp.mail.uucp.

Oddly enough, when I did a search for "uucp" in my newsreader, that
group did not turn up.  Maybe I need to ask my ISP why.  (UUCP
newsgroups did turn up, but they all looked like they were
specialized around non-UUCP-technical issues and none were in the
"comp.*" hierarchy.)

And I knew, from the FAQs, that "comp.os.linux.*" was not the best
place, but is was the best I could come up with in a desperation
move!  Please accept my apologies.

And thanks very much for the follow-up, Michael.

Regards,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour

http://home.msen.com/~jimsun

UUCP over TCP logins

Post by fred smi » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[...]

: --
: Jim Seymour

: http://home.msen.com/~jimsun

--

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked

UUCP over TCP logins

Post by Michael Fauro » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

:> Depending upon how Taylor UUCP was compiled, you may need to setup
:> the password file as /etc/uucp/passwd.  Be sure that user "uucp" has
:> permissions to read the file.

: *That* was the problem!  I was making the silly (?) assumption that
: "passwd" should have gone in /usr/lib/uucp, with the rest of the
: config files.  Unreasonable assumption on my part.

: I got it a couple of hours later, after remembering that the "truss
: equivalent" under Linux was "strace."  (See, I had already wanted to
: go that route, but couldn't remember for the life of me the name of
: "strace".  Nor did any of the manual pages I could think of that
: might be related list it under "See Also".)  As soon as I strace'd
: uucico, I found the solution.

I had the same difficulty with strace.  I "fixed" it by making a symbolic
link in /usr/local/bin called "truss" that pointed to strace so I wouldn't
have to remember. :)

Another trick to figuring out pathnames is to run "strings" against the
binary.

: And thanks very much for the follow-up, Michael.

Glad you were able to get it working. :)

--
+---------+-----------------+------------------------------------------------+
| Michael |     mfaurot     |            I'm a dyslexic agnostic.            |
| Faurot  | phzzzt.atww.org |                Is there a dog?                 |
+---------+-----------------+------------------------------------------------+

UUCP over TCP logins

Post by Jim Seymo » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[Where, or where does Taylor UUCP "passwd" go?]

Quote:

>: I got it a couple of hours later, after remembering that the "truss
>: equivalent" under Linux was "strace."  ...
[snip]

> I had the same difficulty with strace.  I "fixed" it by making a symbolic
> link in /usr/local/bin called "truss" that pointed to strace so I wouldn't
> have to remember. :)

I considered doing that :-).  But then I'd need it on another Linux
box and be out-of-luck again.  Better that I learn to remember that
most-useful of tools, I think.

Quote:

> Another trick to figuring out pathnames is to run "strings" against the
> binary.

Hah!  I was ahead of you there.

    $ strings /usr/sbin/uucico |grep -i passw
    -l,--prompt: prompt for login name and password
    Password:
    No password defined
    password
    chat-program: No password defined
    /passwd
    passwdfile
    /passwd
    call-password

No help.

Quote:

>: And thanks very much for the follow-up, Michael.

> Glad you were able to get it working. :)

Thanks.  Not nearly so glad as I :-).  You know how one can get
*obsessed* with getting something working?  Long past the point
where you're even rational any more?  (Then you end-up posting
to inappropriate newsgroups in overwhelming frustration--
having somehow missed noticing that the proper one does indeed
exist on your news server?)

Regards,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour

http://home.msen.com/~jimsun

UUCP over TCP logins

Post by Michael Fauro » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

:> Another trick to figuring out pathnames is to run "strings" against the
:> binary.

: Hah!  I was ahead of you there.

:     $ strings /usr/sbin/uucico |grep -i passw
:     -l,--prompt: prompt for login name and password
:     Password:
:     No password defined
:     password
:     chat-program: No password defined
:     /passwd
:     passwdfile
:     /passwd
:     call-password

: No help.

True enough, you won't find '/etc/uucp/passwd' as a full string in the
uucico binary.  However, if you look at the output of strings with a
pager like less, you might have gotten the hint/idea to look in /etc/uucp
because of these lines:

        $Id: callin.c,v 1.11 1995/06/21 19:21:42 ian Rel $
        /etc/uucp
        /passwd
        $Id: calout.c,v 1.6 1995/06/21 19:21:45 ian Rel $

:)

--
+---------+-----------------+------------------------------------------------+
| Michael |     mfaurot     |            I'm a dyslexic agnostic.            |
| Faurot  | phzzzt.atww.org |                Is there a dog?                 |
+---------+-----------------+------------------------------------------------+

1. problem in UUCP setup on TCP/IP ethernet

Hi all,
I am trying to set up UUCP on our tcp/ip Ethernet between two
solaris 2.3 workstations to gain some experience before venturing
into modem based uucp set up etc. Here is my config.:

Systems:
mynode Any TCP Any mynode login: <login-id> password: <passwd>
Devices:
TCP,et - - Any TCP -

I have setup a login account on the other machine for it which is
specified in the 'Systems' login chat.

Here is the output of Uutry:
/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -smynode   -x9 >/tmp/mynode 2>&1&
tmp=/tmp/mynode
failed to open /var/uucp/.Admin/account.  Errno=2
chdir(/var/spool/uucp/mynode)
Job grade to process -
conn(mynode)
Trying entry from '/etc/uucp/Systems' - device type TCP.
Device Type TCP wanted
Protocol = et
Trying device entry '-' from '/etc/uucp/Devices'.
processdev: calling setdevcfg(uucico, TCP)
Internal caller type TCP
Protocol = et
Trying device entry '-' from '/etc/uucp/Devices'.
processdev: calling setdevcfg(uucico, TCP)
Internal caller type TCP
getto ret -1
Call Failed: NO DEVICES AVAILABLE
exit code 101
Conversation Complete: Status FAILED

TM_cnt: 0

2. How to configure PPP-connected-machine so it's visible from outside?

3. UUCP setup over TCP/IP

4. 3com 3c509b dual config

5. uucp on tcp/ip

6. FreeBSD via FTP on LAN