Is this possible? (Linux network goodies box)

Is this possible? (Linux network goodies box)

Post by Gavin Haslet » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Your setup idea sounds great... I've got a nice little DX2/66 machine
sitting here doing much the same stuff... I'm thinking about offloading
it to become my modem-box for both Win95 and Linux using Diald... but
that's a plan for another day right now :))

<snippity>

Quote:> I still need to know:

>         * Does this machine REALLY need a FAT partition?  Because I'm
>           not going to install any flavor of DOS or Windows, I plan
>           to have just ext2 and swap partitions on the computer's
>           hard drive.

Not at all... just install Linux... use Lilo if you wish... it'll work
great. Promise! :)

Quote:>         * Will the SIIG Parallel Pro Dual work with Linux?  This is
>           the most important piece of hardware as far as I'm
>           concerned, since I want to make this computer at least a print
>           server, if not anything else.

Absolutely... the SIIG looks like 2 parallel ports... LPT1 and LPT2...
so in other words it works just like a single parallel port... only two
of 'em! :)

Quote:>         * How does it sound to have a cheap ISA NE2000-compatible
>           network card in each machine for the network interface?
>           I don't particularly care for ultra-fast throughput,
>           but is this enough?

Should be... how much bandwidth do you expect to send between the two? I
use two Etherlink III's that I picked up used at Computer Renaissance
You could easily use coax for your cabling, but if you want to splash
out a little more for more future flexibility and reliability you might
want to use Cat-5 (RJ-45) type cabling... you can add a hub later that
you can use to attach a few more Linux boxes together :)

Quote:>         * Overall, will such a multi-purpose network goodies box
>           be possible with Linux?  I might have to spend another
>           weekend getting all the parts together, but I need to
>           know if I can do them all on the same machine.

Yes... as I said I do much the same... only with a single printer and I
use it for offloading minor tasks that I want to run while working on
other things on my primary machine. It also makes a nice temporary
data-store and a long-term storage area for downloaded and installed
TARballs (and uninstalled ones too)... keeps space available on my
primary machine. It also allows me to experiment with new networking
stuff without worrying too much if I crash it. Yes I do back it up, but
only to keep a permanent store of the TARballs.

Finally, if you do need help setting it up or have problems, please feel
free to mail me and I'll try to help with any other questions you may
have.
--
Gavin

Is this possible? (Linux network goodies box)

Post by Arthur Jeriji » Wed, 27 Aug 1997 04:00:00

[ Entering NEWBIE mode ]

At some point in the future, I want to get a second machine and use it
as a multi-purpose Linux network goodies box.  What do I mean, you ask?
Well, I want this machine to do the following:

        * Act as a terminal server through an ISP.  In other words, I
          want this computer to connect to a PPP account, hopefully
          automatically, and allow my host computer to access the
          Internet with a newtork card instead of a modem.

        * Be an X terminal for my host computer.

        * Be a print server for my host computer.  Since I'm connecting
          both a dot matrix and an ink jet printer to this machine,
          I plan to install a SIIG Parallel Pro Dual interface card.
          All of the driver software, including apsfilter and ghostscript,
          will run on the server.  The only thing that the host will
          have to do is to lpr the document to either one of the
          printers connected to the server.

        * Be anything else it wants to be with my host computer. Note
          that it's ONLY going to have Linux installed.

As far as hardware requirements go, everything's going to be pretty
standard, Linux-compatible stuff.  This is the part that I can handle.
I can also handle the software installation and network configuration
by just RTFMing for a spare weekend (or longer).

I still need to know:

        * Does this machine REALLY need a FAT partition?  Because I'm
          not going to install any flavor of DOS or Windows, I plan
          to have just ext2 and swap partitions on the computer's
          hard drive.

        * Will the SIIG Parallel Pro Dual work with Linux?  This is
          the most important piece of hardware as far as I'm
          concerned, since I want to make this computer at least a print
          server, if not anything else.

        * How does it sound to have a cheap ISA NE2000-compatible
          network card in each machine for the network interface?
          I don't particularly care for ultra-fast throughput,
          but is this enough?

        * Overall, will such a multi-purpose network goodies box
          be possible with Linux?  I might have to spend another
          weekend getting all the parts together, but I need to
          know if I can do them all on the same machine.

Thanks again for your input!  I hope this isn't too odd of a request...

[ Exiting NEWBIE mode ]

--Arthur

Post by Martin Man » Mon, 01 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>    * Does this machine REALLY need a FAT partition?  Because I'm

Nope.  The only thing you need FAT for is a DOS boot floppy for
running the odd card setup program.  ;-)

Quote:>    * Will the SIIG Parallel Pro Dual work with Linux?  This is
>      the most important piece of hardware as far as I'm
>      concerned, since I want to make this computer at least a print
>      server, if not anything else.

I have no idea, but it seems likely.  Have you looked in the
hardware HOWTO, etc?

Quote:>    * How does it sound to have a cheap ISA NE2000-compatible
>      network card in each machine for the network interface?
>      I don't particularly care for ultra-fast throughput,
>      but is this enough?

Sure.  There have been reports of problems with some of the
cheap clones, but I've had no trouble with at least three
different models of these things.

Quote:>    * Overall, will such a multi-purpose network goodies box
>      be possible with Linux?  I might have to spend another
>      weekend getting all the parts together, but I need to
>      know if I can do them all on the same machine.

Let me look at that list again...  Sure, piece of cake.  If it
weren't for running an X client this wouldn't need to be a large
machine at all - a 486 with 8M would be more than sufficent, a
386DX would almost certainly not be strained.  With X of course
you'll want more CPU, a good fast video card, and more RAM.

I'm running most everything you're talking about plus file
serving for the local net (NFS and samba for the DOS and Windows
clients) on an AMD 5x86-133 box as well as using it as my main
working machine; top shows idle around 97-98% unless I start
something CPU intensive like an X app or a large software build.
Or during news batch processing - I also run INN to povide NNTP
service for the local net.