Single-floppy router system?

Post by John Ackerma » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I know I've seen posts about minimal Linux systems crammed onto a single
floppy for router use, but I can't find any pointers now.

John Ackermann   AG9V

1. Single-floppy boot/root how-to?

I was trying to setup a one-floppy boot/root disk
using the obvious method (put the kernel + all necessary
files in a filesystem on the floppy, create a lilo entry
with boot=/dev/fd0, image=/mnt/vmlinux, root=/dev/fd0).

However, this fails. The kernel boots all the way to the
point where it tries to mount the root filesystem, then
"fails to open device 2:0" (or 2:XXX when I set
root=/dev/fd0h1440).

Has anybody been able to successfully do this? What's
the trick?

Thanks

--
Please reply to the newsgroup, I don't check my e-mail
very often.

2. Several IBM RS/6000 FA

3. Single Floppy System Question

4. Linux quotas - HOW to install in the kernel??

5. System is started as a single user and read only file system !!

6. ioctls to a portserver?

7. emulate routers with one single kernel

8. Hands off Solaris 2.5.1 Jumpstart Server

9. Repeating Ricochet Wireless onto 802.11x Using Router, Laptop, or Single-board

10. Router with a single NIC

11. Advice about 10 addresses on a single pipe to router

12. single floppy thread

13. I would like to run Linux on a single floppy