Will SuSE Linux 7.1 Work with Netgear Phoneline 10X Cards?

Will SuSE Linux 7.1 Work with Netgear Phoneline 10X Cards?

Post by Chilesc » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:32:06

First of all, I'd like to compliment the group members.  I've read
some threads that deal with some issues I've got, and the answers are
timely, complete, and instructive.  Thanks!

Now for a question I've not seen info on yet.  I've got a home
network, 2 Win98se machines and a SuSE Linux 7.1 box.  Based on what
I've read in this group, I know I want to use my Linux box to be the

Question 1: As a newbie, I'm not sure what software I need on the
Linux box to do the sharing, nor how to configure it.  I'd appreciate
any tips or help you have.

Question 2: I already have Netgeat Phoneline 10X cards in all 3
machines.  I'll have a separate dedicated NIC for the cable modem, but
can I use the Phoneline cards for the home network?  Netgear's tech
support is spotty, and they sure don't have anything on Linux.

Thanks to all for your help!

Wayne

Post by Casey Brall » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:49:02

> Question 1: As a newbie, I'm not sure what software I need on the
> Linux box to do the sharing, nor how to configure it.  I'd appreciate
> any tips or help you have.

Set up samba for file & print sharing.   There are lots of guides on the
net to help set it up, and unless you need to do all kinds of fancy
security setups, it is very easy to use.

Quote:

> Question 2: I already have Netgeat Phoneline 10X cards in all 3
> machines.  I'll have a separate dedicated NIC for the cable modem, but
> can I use the Phoneline cards for the home network?  Netgear's tech
> support is spotty, and they sure don't have anything on Linux.

Not sure, but NE-2000 network cards are very cheap ($20), so it might be
simpler to buy new cards and put the 10X cards in cold storage.

Will SuSE Linux 7.1 Work with Netgear Phoneline 10X Cards?

Post by Aaro » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:53:34

People using have the phone line network cards because they don't want
or can't run new wire all over their house.  I use them too because I
already have a phone jack in most rooms and the cost of having cat5
cable strung through house is too much.

I believe drivers exist, the problem is using them.  The Digital Audio
Receiver from Dell (url below) uses HomePNA2.0 and is supposed to be
running Linux.  Supposedly, Broadcom has developed drivers for the
OEMs to provide.  I have not seen them so I can not verify that.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/center_dac2_001_dac_tools_overvi...

>> Question 1: As a newbie, I'm not sure what software I need on the
>> Linux box to do the sharing, nor how to configure it.  I'd appreciate
>> any tips or help you have.

>Set up samba for file & print sharing.   There are lots of guides on the
>net to help set it up, and unless you need to do all kinds of fancy
>security setups, it is very easy to use.

>> Question 2: I already have Netgeat Phoneline 10X cards in all 3
>> machines.  I'll have a separate dedicated NIC for the cable modem, but
>> can I use the Phoneline cards for the home network?  Netgear's tech
>> support is spotty, and they sure don't have anything on Linux.

>Not sure, but NE-2000 network cards are very cheap ($20), so it might be
>simpler to buy new cards and put the 10X cards in cold storage.

1. NetGear F311/F312 card on SuSE 7.1/2.4.0 kernel

Hi

I first tried using the compiled module that came with
the above card (fa311.o) using insmod and it gave me a
message..

insmod fa311.o
warning: kernel module version mismatch
         fa311.o was compiled for kernel 2.2.5-while this kernel
         is 2.4.0

I tried compiling the linux driver source code on
SuSE 7.1 / kernel 2.4.0. I got the following error..

fa31x.c:184: field `stats' has incomplete type
fa31x.c: In function `fa31x_probe':
fa31x.c:274: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
fa31x.c:278: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
fa31x.c:278: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
..

So I went ahead and downloaded the latest version of
the driver from the NetGear site and they had
several (redhat) versions 7.0 & 7.1. I tried building
RH7.1 versions which was looking for a header file
called 'modversions.h' which was not available
in SuSE under /usr/src/linux-2.4.0-4GB/include/linux.

So I tried the compiled module natsemi.o that came
compiled under 2.4.2-22 and used it with -f'. That did
not work but gave..

Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
        natsemi.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.2-2
        while this kernel is version 2.4.0-4GB
natsemi.o: unresolved symbol pci_release_regions_R1b6a5643
natsemi.o: unresolved symbol tvec_bases_R8631652b
natsemi.o: unresolved symbol pci_request_regions_R93366b87

Has anyone been successful with the netgear F311 card?

Thanks for any help..

2. Netgear ethernet cards.

3. Netgear FA311 on Suse 7.1 (newbie)

4. Need config files for the ethernet?

5. netgear pa301 phoneline card

6. ifconfig and route without -m486

7. Netgear PA301 PHONELINE Adapter card

8. X-terminal

9. RH 7.1 doesn't recognize NetGear FA311 card

10. Netgear FA411 ethernet pcmcia card won't run in RH 7.1

11. Anybody using Netgear phoneline adapter with linux?

12. How can I configure my slackware 7.1 Linux work with two LAN cards in one PC

13. Netgear MR314 Router and a Redhat 7.1 Linux Box