Can You control amount of traffic from each machine in Linux IP MASQ?

Can You control amount of traffic from each machine in Linux IP MASQ?

Post by Nathan Egga » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Basically, this is my problem...
    Our house has approximately 3 computers sharing a cable modem using
Linux's IP MASQing features.  (Right now its a 2.0.xx system, but over break
I"m goingto rebuild it to the latest 2.2.xx.)  Anyway, the problem is that
right now if my roommate and I are playing Tribes together, it's seems like
a fight for bandwidth.  One person will usually timeout while the other
scrapes on through.  I know we are asking a lot from our modem, and as our
network traffic increases are bandwidth folds.  But my question is this:
Can we somehow limit each PC so that it can only utilize a given amount of
bandwidth.  e.g.  Can our Linux server realize that there are 3 machines
accessing it, and divide up the allowable amount of traffic evenly?  Right
now, the fast ping wins.  Under this system, we would all feel a slowdown,
but hopefully no one would timeout.  Thanks a lot...
    Nathan Eggan

Post by Paul D. Boy » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[...]

In the 2.2.x kernels there is the Quality of Service (QoS) support.  There
are a lot of options.  Compile your kernel with the one which fits best.
Consult /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help for further info.

Paul

--
Paul D. Boyle

North Carolina State University
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html

1. * Can Linux IP MASQ set traffic quotas based on # of machines on LAN?

Here's my problem,
    We have a Linux IP MASQ server setup up and running our Cable modem.
It's doing the address tanslation for our LAN (about 3-5 computers) and
feeding their IPs (192.168.1.x addresses) into the modem under its one
DCHPed address.  The Problem is, that if my roommate and I are playing
StarSeige Tribes and the third begins a few ftp-style downloads, the one
downloading destroys the bandwidth for the other two.  We will ping-out.
Likewise, if any one person in the house starts drawing heavily on the line,
the rest of us will feel it substantailly and perhaps timeout.  The problem
is not the slowdown (that's expected).  The problem is the fact that it
seems to be an all or nothing type system.  One person will get ALL the
bandwidth while the others time out.  (At least that's how it seems...)
The question...
    Is there anyway to limit the amount of traffic each mahine is sending to
the MASQ box?  For instance, if 3 computers are using the server, then take
the total bandwidth available and divide it by 3 - for 2, by 2.  Is this
possible?  If so, how?  I'm pretty dumbfounded on this one.  The server is a
Pentium-75 with 16MB of RAM and will be running the Linux 2.2.13 (or better)
kernel by the end of the break.  Please help...

Thanks,
Nathan Eggan

ECE at OSU

2. help with dlopen() and dlsym()

3. Any help on IP Traffic / data rate control in Linux

4. sound mystery

5. Newbie to Linux - Want to IP masq with windows machines - need some advice/help

6. Help: How to get rid of LILO?

7. IP Masq'd Workstation to connect to IP Masq'd Workstation

8. SMC EtherPower PCI

9. IP Masq - Specify IP to Masq as?

10. How to monitor IP MASQ traffic?

11. Traffic Control traffic unexpectedly dipping

12. Should traffic control root qdisc & child class limit traffic?

13. Traffic control of input ip packets