Linux routing problem?

Post by Andrew Freze » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to setup a SLIP account for my school's server, I have
everything working up to a point.  I can log onto the server, I can
ping the server, I can telnet to the server, and I can ftp the sever,
but I cannot ping, telnet, ftp any other site.  I'm using dip to logon
and both sides are running CSLIP.  If anyone knows how I can fix this
please help.

Thanks in advance
Andrew Frezell

Linux routing problem?

Post by Dirk Geschk » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I'm trying to setup a SLIP account for my school's server, I have
> everything working up to a point.  I can log onto the server, I can
> ping the server, I can telnet to the server, and I can ftp the sever,
> but I cannot ping, telnet, ftp any other site.  I'm using dip to logon
> and both sides are running CSLIP.  If anyone knows how I can fix this
> please help.

irst you must configure you server as a gateway to bypass the data to
the SLIP connection (The IP-forwarding option in the kernel).
The second thing to do is configuering routing. If e.g. your server is
part of an ethernet network and you are dialing in, the default router
must contain an explicit routing through your server to the
SLIP-machine. If you use a static routing you have to add to all
machines a line like (Linux):

route add -host SLIP-IP gw server-IP

This should work.

Dirk.

Linux routing problem?

Post by Andrew Nayle » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to setup a SLIP account for my school's server, I have
> everything working up to a point.  I can log onto the server, I can
> ping the server, I can telnet to the server, and I can ftp the sever,
> but I cannot ping, telnet, ftp any other site.  I'm using dip to logon
> and both sides are running CSLIP.  If anyone knows how I can fix this
> please help.

Maybe you should run ppp

PPP is easy to setup and universal

Linux routing problem?

Post by H.J. Gibs » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: Maybe you should run ppp
: PPP is easy to setup and universal

.. And slower, and doesn't work well in chunks less than 1500 :)

1. Linux routing problem

Here is my problem.

I am attempting to setup my linux system as a firewall, with proxy
server support.

I can connect to my isp using the chat program.  However, ip routing
has not been disabled.

I am using slakware 3.0.  I have an ethernet net that I am using an
illegal address.  Do I need to do a make config?  If so what do I make
config on?

I have read the linux net2/net-3 howto, and not found my answers.

Should this not be possible with a route del command?

lmf

2. X - Cannot open mouse ????

3. Linux Routing Problem Between TR0 and ETH0

4. Help using pc keyboard with vim

5. Linux routing problem?

6. How to save and restore a process's core image

7. Need help, please -> LINUX Routing Problems ????

8. Sending Files

9. Linux routing problem

10. Linux routing problems

11. linux routing problem