IBM Aptiva MWAVE modem

Post by ViLi » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

trying to use mwave soundcard-modem combo in RH5.2 it is not working, will
it ever ?
i do believe it is a software driven modem, however there must be something
i can do.
ideas ?

IBM Aptiva MWAVE modem

Post by neko.. » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> trying to use mwave soundcard-modem combo in RH5.2 it is not working,
will
> it ever ?
> i do believe it is a software driven modem, however there must be
something
> i can do.
> ideas ?

Sorry. It won't work under Linux.
You'll have to buy another modem.
Or you could try writing drivers to make winmodems run under Linux. :)

IBM Aptiva MWAVE modem

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> trying to use mwave soundcard-modem combo in RH5.2 it is not working, will
> it ever ?

Probably no time soon.  See below, though....

Quote:> i do believe it is a software driven modem, however there must be something
> i can do.

You can join the development effort for Mwave hardware under Linux.  See:

http://www.flexion.org/mwave/

If you aren't both a competent programmer and willing to wait, though,
your best bet is to replace the Mwave board with a conventional modem and
sound card.

If you ONLY want 8-bit SoundBlaster sound from it, you CAN get that today,
however. You need to boot DOS and use the DOS utilities to kick the board
into SB 8-bit mode. When you use LOADLIN or <Ctrl-Alt-Del> to reboot to
Linux, you can use it with 8-bit SoundBlaster drivers.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me