ISDN Question

Post by Anthony Ewel » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

   I am going to be converting a (working) Red Hat 6.0
server which dials an ISP using pppd and a 56K modem
to an Eicon Diva ISDN modem.

   If anyone has experience with this, would you mind me
mooching a copy of your /etc/ppp/options and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0 files.  I am
especially interested in how you bonded (aggregated) the two
channels together.

   Any suggestions and recommendations will also be
greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
--Tony

ISDN Question

Post by Dan Noe » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Tony,

I fear you about to join the "Eicon 1B Club". Its membership consists of
Eicon Diva TA owners running Linux.

I did exactly the same thing you are attempting: converted a working 56k
RH 6.0 demand-dial pppd to ISDN. I was never able to get it to
authenticate under MLPPP, and even now use only a single channel.

Do a search on http://www.deja.com for "eicon diva ~g
comp.protocols.ppp" for other tales of woe, including mine.

I would get it working in 1B mode first, to ensure everything is set up
correctly (ports, secrets, chat scripts). In 1B mode, the TA just looks
like a serial modem, so the changes are minor. I suggest you use minicom
to verify that it is dialing and connecting correctly before trying it
w/ pppd.

Keep in mind that in single link mode, pppd is talking directly to the
ISP. When you configure the Diva for MLPPP (using minicom) pppd talks to
the TA, and the TA talks to the ISP, converting PPP to MLPPP on-the-fly
(at least in theory). You do NOT need any multi-link kernel patches.
Don't be confused by all the Shiva-pap stuff; that's coming from the
Eicon, not the ISP. This makes it extremely difficult to troubleshoot,
since you can't see what is going on upstream.

Eicon tech support gave me busywork; suggesting that I move to a
previous pppd rev. I have tried each and every release from 2.3.6
through 2.3.10 with exactly the same results.

The Eicon works flawlessly in 1B mode, but I would still like to run
128k. Oh well.

If you can resolve this and post a fix, I'll nominate you for President
of the Club. For Life.

Dan

> Hi,

>    I am going to be converting a (working) Red Hat 6.0
> server which dials an ISP using pppd and a 56K modem
> to an Eicon Diva ISDN modem.

>    If anyone has experience with this, would you mind me
> mooching a copy of your /etc/ppp/options and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0 files.  I am
> especially interested in how you bonded (aggregated) the two
> channels together.

>    Any suggestions and recommendations will also be
> greatly appreciated.

> Many thanks,
> --Tony

ISDN Question

Post by Robert M. Stockman » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Tony,

> I fear you about to join the "Eicon 1B Club". Its membership consists of
> Eicon Diva TA owners running Linux.

> I did exactly the same thing you are attempting: converted a working 56k
> RH 6.0 demand-dial pppd to ISDN. I was never able to get it to
> authenticate under MLPPP, and even now use only a single channel.

> Do a search on http://www.deja.com for "eicon diva ~g
> comp.protocols.ppp" for other tales of woe, including mine.

> I would get it working in 1B mode first, to ensure everything is set up
> correctly (ports, secrets, chat scripts). In 1B mode, the TA just looks
> like a serial modem, so the changes are minor. I suggest you use minicom
> to verify that it is dialing and connecting correctly before trying it
> w/ pppd.

> Keep in mind that in single link mode, pppd is talking directly to the
> ISP. When you configure the Diva for MLPPP (using minicom) pppd talks to
> the TA, and the TA talks to the ISP, converting PPP to MLPPP on-the-fly
> (at least in theory). You do NOT need any multi-link kernel patches.
> Don't be confused by all the Shiva-pap stuff; that's coming from the
> Eicon, not the ISP. This makes it extremely difficult to troubleshoot,
> since you can't see what is going on upstream.

> Eicon tech support gave me busywork; suggesting that I move to a
> previous pppd rev. I have tried each and every release from 2.3.6
> through 2.3.10 with exactly the same results.

> The Eicon works flawlessly in 1B mode, but I would still like to run
> 128k. Oh well.

> If you can resolve this and post a fix, I'll nominate you for President
> of the Club. For Life.

> Dan

> > Hi,

> >    I am going to be converting a (working) Red Hat 6.0
> > server which dials an ISP using pppd and a 56K modem
> > to an Eicon Diva ISDN modem.

> >    If anyone has experience with this, would you mind me
> > mooching a copy of your /etc/ppp/options and
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0 files.  I am
> > especially interested in how you bonded (aggregated) the two
> > channels together.

> >    Any suggestions and recommendations will also be
> > greatly appreciated.

> > Many thanks,
> > --Tony

ftp://ftp.sba.nl/pub/linux/isdn4linux/MPPP/

regards

Robert

--
++---------------------++---------------------------------++
|| R.M. Stockmann      ||   InfoMagic Nederland VOF       ||

++---------------------++---------------------------------++
Linux: A copylefted Unix-like operating system for several platforms :
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/xose/linux/linux_ports.html

ISDN Question

Post by Anthony Ewel » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

   I nominate myself for "Eicon 1B Club" chief "Chicken".

   I had to send it back.  It turns out that the diva internals are not
supported in the United States by the drivers in Linux.  (NT works
though.  What an embarrassment!)  It has something to do with
the driver not working with American SPID numbers.

   So I exchanged it for Diva's LAN (external) modem.  It works
exceptionally.

--Tony

Post by Rudy Catsbur » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

>    I am going to be converting a (working) Red Hat 6.0
> server which dials an ISP using pppd and a 56K modem
> to an Eicon Diva ISDN modem.

>    If anyone has experience with this, would you mind me
> mooching a copy of your /etc/ppp/options and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0 files.  I am
> especially interested in how you bonded (aggregated) the two
> channels together.

> Any suggestions and recommendations will also be
> greatly appreciated.

> Many thanks,
> --Tony

Hi Anthony

Maybe this is something you need
In the options file (for ISDN ioptions) for multi link use
+mp

then add a slave device
isdnctrl add slave ippp0 ippp1 (ippp1 is the slave device)
fillin the required settings for ippp1 i.e :
isdnctrl addphone ippp1 out .....
isdnctrl encap ippp1 syncppp
isdnctrl l2_prot ippp1 hdlc
isdnctrl l3_prot ippp1 trans
etc.

Now, dial your ISP with ippp0 i.e
isdnctrl dial ippp0 (with dial on demand, ping is OK)
when you are connected, type
isdnctrl addlink ippp0
(i am not behind my computer at this moment, but i thought it was
"isdnctrl addlink ippp0". Otherwise type: isdnctrl addlink ippp1.)

At this moment you are connected with 128k
Try it out, by downloading something !

Maybe you can put the "addlink" command in the ip-up script for using
dial on demand.

Good luck !
I like to hear from you

Rudy Catsburg

ISDN Question

Post by Pat Crea » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm assuming, by the way you phrased the question, that you're replacing
an external 56k modem with an external DIVA T/A.  Go get pppd 2.3.11 and
install it before you even try to get MLPPP working with this TA --
otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy wondering where the MS-CHAP
authentication requests are coming from......

Pat

> > Hi,

> >    I am going to be converting a (working) Red Hat 6.0
> > server which dials an ISP using pppd and a 56K modem
> > to an Eicon Diva ISDN modem.

> >    If anyone has experience with this, would you mind me
> > mooching a copy of your /etc/ppp/options and
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0 files.  I am
> > especially interested in how you bonded (aggregated) the two
> > channels together.

> > Any suggestions and recommendations will also be
> > greatly appreciated.

> > Many thanks,
> > --Tony

1. isdn question

hello  i Have  2 sparc stations sitting next to each other each running
solaris 2.5 server also both have isdn ports is it possible to connect
to via a isdn line

     thanks
        james

2. r-utils return code