SMB Networking: Win95 always prompts for password

SMB Networking: Win95 always prompts for password

Post by Jarrod Lo » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have two Win95 clients which connect to my linux box's drives.
However, despite the fact that I tell the Win95 to save the password,
every time I want to access the share (call it L:), I get error
messages, and have to go back to network neighbourhood, and re-login
to the machine, re-entering the password.

It is safe to assume that anything that comes in over eth0 is from
someone who is allowed to use that username. (but that is not
neccessarily true if it comes in over ppp0)

Any advice?

Jarrod Lowe

(This email address will be invalidated within 2 months.)

1. SMB,Why does WinXP prompt to enter password???

In my configuration file ( /etc/samba/smb.conf ,on Debain) looks like
this >>

[Temp]
   comment = Temporary folder for uploading
   writable = no
   locking = no
   path = /var/www/upload/virtual/Temp/
   public = yes
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = yes

<<<

But when I try to Run \\IP\Temp,I need to enter password (which I don't
know).... WindowsXP prompts as user:guest,password: .... << ???

Anyone know how to solve this??

any help or suggust would be greatly appreciated,thank you!

2. minicom won't initiate downloads

3. SMB passwords and e-mail passwords

4. samba-question

5. SMB password and e-mail password

6. Compaq MV500 monitor

7. SMB, printing over smb, kcmshell smb fail on Red Hat 7.3

8. bug in tkseti port?

9. network freeze when adding win95 laptop to Linux/Win95 network

10. Removing Password: prompt for Account with no Password Solaris X.86

11. Does "echo prompt: | tr -d '\012'" always work?

12. htaccess always prompting twice?

13. How to get the prompt always to show the present working directory..