how to change samba password on client side?

how to change samba password on client side?

Post by victor cha » Fri, 04 May 2001 20:08:42

i've setup  a samba server for file sharing , every time i want to change
passwd , i need to telnet to the server , i wander if there is other way
that i can change the passwd more easily , thx for your help!

how to change samba password on client side?

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 04 May 2001 21:10:25

Hi Victor,

Quote:> i've setup  a samba server for file sharing , every time i want to change
> passwd , i need to telnet to the server , i wander if there is other way
> that i can change the passwd more easily , thx for your help!

Take a look at the "-r" parameter which can be passed to smbpasswd.  For
instance:

smbpasswd -r server ----> Will change my password on the machine which has a
                           NETBIOS name of "server"

See ya

Dean Thompson

how to change samba password on client side?

Post by cadene » Sat, 05 May 2001 01:24:48

victor chan a crit :

Quote:

> i've setup  a samba server for file sharing , every time i want to change
> passwd , i need to telnet to the server , i wander if there is other way
> that i can change the passwd more easily , thx for your help!

A good idea is to write a web page in PHP3 or 4 to set up the new
password.

how to change samba password on client side?

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 05 May 2001 11:18:29

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> i've setup  a samba server for file sharing , every time i want to change
> passwd , i need to telnet to the server , i wander if there is other way
> that i can change the passwd more easily , thx for your help!

There are several possibilities. A few that spring to mind include:

- Using SSH rather than Telnet. This gives you the benefit of
  encryption, but won't really be any easier.
- Using SWAT. When an ordinary user accesses SWAT, it allows that
  user to change passwords, but not do other administrative tasks.
- Set passwd or smbpasswd as the login shell and then use Telnet or
  SSH to "log in." This will only work properly if you have no other use
  for text-mode logins, though.
- Use the -r parameter to smbpasswd from another Linux system, as in
  "smbpasswd -r target", where "target" is the name of the computer
  whose password you want to change.
- Use the Passwords tool in the Windows Control Panel. Select "Change
  Other Passwords," then "Microsoft Networking." This works only if the
  Samba server is a domain controller.

There may be other ways I'm forgetting or don't know about.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

1. Error 401 without the client-side username-password box?

Good day all,

I'm writing an access-control Apache module.

I'm trying to return error status 401, without having the username-password
box pop up on Netscape.

Is there a way to do this?

Should I set some other header fields in my module

(the other ones I'm setting right now are the content-type and
WWW-Authenticate)?

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance,

- Dwaine

2. Weird Reconfigure Problem

3. server-side map 2 client-side map utility?

4. Diamond Stealth SE (32 bit with DRAM)

5. samba problem on windows client side

6. mailserver config help

7. server side imagemap vs client side

8. Need help

9. Samba client & password

10. password problems with samba and windows 98 clients

11. HOW DO I: Change password from PC client program

12. Can't change NIS+ password in NIS+ client

13. Samba&Lanmanager: can't change password