help with configuring squid server

Post by Hung Ngoc La » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:00:16

Hi Everyone,

Please help me with this situation:

I have a small home network (network 172.16.1.0/24).  This network
has 5 clients with IP addresses: 172.16.1.1-5.  The network has
a Linux Gateway with internal IP address 172.16.1.254 and external
IP address 207.172.1.150.  The linux gateway is running NAT
(aka masquerading) for internal network to connect to the Internet.
The linux gateway is running Redhat Linux with kernel 2.4.3 and
Netfilter (aka iptables).  Everything is working.

Now I like to put a squid (proxy server) onto the network.   The IP
address of the squid server is 172.16.1.253.  The squid can access
the Internet.  How can I configure squid server in such a way that
clients on the internal network, when they access the Internet, has
to go through the squid BUT WITHOUT HAVING TO CONFIGURING
THE WEB BROWSER (Netscape or Internet Explorer).  I heard that
this method is called TRANSPARENT PROXYING.  What do I need
to modify the rc.firewall script on the Linux Gateway for this to work?
I am running both kernel 2.4.3 on the squid server and the linux
gateway.

Please help.
David

help with configuring squid server

Post by Paul Mackenzi » Tue, 01 May 2001 05:56:45

Have a look at the how to

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/TransparentProxy.html

> Hi Everyone,

> Please help me with this situation:

> I have a small home network (network 172.16.1.0/24).  This network
> has 5 clients with IP addresses: 172.16.1.1-5.  The network has
> a Linux Gateway with internal IP address 172.16.1.254 and external
> IP address 207.172.1.150.  The linux gateway is running NAT
> (aka masquerading) for internal network to connect to the Internet.
> The linux gateway is running Redhat Linux with kernel 2.4.3 and
> Netfilter (aka iptables).  Everything is working.

> Now I like to put a squid (proxy server) onto the network.   The IP
> address of the squid server is 172.16.1.253.  The squid can access
> the Internet.  How can I configure squid server in such a way that
> clients on the internal network, when they access the Internet, has
> to go through the squid BUT WITHOUT HAVING TO CONFIGURING
> THE WEB BROWSER (Netscape or Internet Explorer).  I heard that
> this method is called TRANSPARENT PROXYING.  What do I need
> to modify the rc.firewall script on the Linux Gateway for this to work?
> I am running both kernel 2.4.3 on the squid server and the linux
> gateway.

> Please help.
> David

help with configuring squid server

Post by Txotx » Tue, 01 May 2001 02:01:18

Hi !!!
I think you have everything you need here

www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/TransparentProxy.html

I hope you find it usefull

Txotxe

> Hi Everyone,

> Please help me with this situation:

> I have a small home network (network 172.16.1.0/24).  This network
> has 5 clients with IP addresses: 172.16.1.1-5.  The network has
> a Linux Gateway with internal IP address 172.16.1.254 and external
> IP address 207.172.1.150.  The linux gateway is running NAT
> (aka masquerading) for internal network to connect to the Internet.
> The linux gateway is running Redhat Linux with kernel 2.4.3 and
> Netfilter (aka iptables).  Everything is working.

> Now I like to put a squid (proxy server) onto the network.   The IP
> address of the squid server is 172.16.1.253.  The squid can access
> the Internet.  How can I configure squid server in such a way that
> clients on the internal network, when they access the Internet, has
> to go through the squid BUT WITHOUT HAVING TO CONFIGURING
> THE WEB BROWSER (Netscape or Internet Explorer).  I heard that
> this method is called TRANSPARENT PROXYING.  What do I need
> to modify the rc.firewall script on the Linux Gateway for this to work?
> I am running both kernel 2.4.3 on the squid server and the linux
> gateway.

> Please help.
> David

1. help with configuring squid server

[...]

2. Domian Name not binding on startup

3. f77 compilers ?

4. Help with configuring squid (aka proxy server) in transparent caching mode

5. Badly Help for beginner!!!!

6. Linux PPP-2.3.7 vs Microsoft RRAS

7. Configuring a Squid Proxy server

8. Configuring a Squid proxy server