Modem dialin to my box

Post by Tony Sarend » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi.
I have a linux machine here in school.
Now I'm using it to hook up to internet
from home. But I get real bad performance
even though I have V.34 modems.
Could anyone send my their /etc/inittab
/etc/gettydefs and so on so I can see
how someone else did.
I'm using the getty_ps that came with
Slackware2.2.0.

bye.

--
         ________                    ________
        /               _     _     /

        or

        http://pc704-11.isj.kth.se/homepages/tony.html

Modem dialin to my box

Post by Timothy Murp » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>But I get real bad performance
>even though I have V.34 modems.
>I'm using the getty_ps that came with
>Slackware2.2.0.

Just be thankful it works at all,
if you are not using mgetty.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

Modem dialin to my box

Post by Jyri Ah » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>>But I get real bad performance
>>even though I have V.34 modems.
>>I'm using the getty_ps that came with
>>Slackware2.2.0.

>Just be thankful it works at all,
>if you are not using mgetty.

What is it with mgetty, agetty works fine for me.
Could you just tell me what's so great on mgetty. And
please save me from hearing that *about the fax stuff
in it. I just want to use it on dialup on my machine.

Modem dialin to my box

Post by Timothy Murp » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>What is it with mgetty, agetty works fine for me.
>Could you just tell me what's so great on mgetty.

(1) mgetty is properly documented.
I just printed out the 65-page manual
(also available through texinfo by "info mgetty").

(2) Many people find getty_ps does not work for them.
Even more find agetty does not work for them (for dialling in).

(3) Having looked at the code, I'd have to say
that mgetty is much better written.

(4) I believe the way in which mgetty works --
waiting for RING -- is inherently more reliable
than setting the modem to Auto-Answer.

(5) The author of mgetty, Gert Doering,
reads the net and replies to the more esoteric questions.
I have never seen postings from the authors of agetty or getty_ps.

But having said all that, if agetty works for you
why worry what other people think or do ?

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

1. Config for dialin....modem not picking up....agetty or modem?

Hey all,

I have been using my linux box w/ internal 28.8 sportster for slip for
quite a while now. I thought I might set up dial in after I managed
to get hold of an old modem for the junker at home.

All my serial port is all set and it all works fine, as SLIP works
fine.

I went into my inittab and uncommented the agetty lines for ttyS3
(modem is cua3). Now, there are two lines in the inittab:

#serial lines
#s3:456:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 ttyS3 vt100

and
#dialup lines
d3:456:respawn:/sbin/agetty -mt60 38400,19200,9600,2400,1200 ttyS3 vt100

Now I am assuming that the latter is the correct one to uncomment.
A quick init q, and I try dialing in from the other modem,
and the bugger won't pick up.

The agetty process is working....obviously the slip connection is down
(otherwise I would get a busy signal). Now I can't check (or can I?)
whether DTR is normal, or Autoanswer is on. Ye olde sportser
manual says that AT&D2 (normal DTR operstions) and ATS0=1 (autoanswer
on 1 ring) are default.....

Anybody using agetty succesfully w/ a internal sportster for dial in?
I was thinking maybe swithcing to uugetty, and then I can use
the /etc/gettydefs file and put AT commands in there....with agetty,
there is noway to send commands to the modem:(

Marcus

2. New Linux Support Website Launched "CZ Linux"

3. Setting up a dialin for my LINUX box

4. Diamond Fireport 40

5. Linux as a dialin-box

6. Taking baby steps

7. Help with using getty for dialin on Linux box

8. FVWM 2.0.43 color hungry / Debug module and xtee ?

9. No modem will work on my win98 box (or RH6.1 box)

10. Linux as an analog and ISDN dialin box (IP POOL!)

11. Win95 dialin to Linux Box via PPP???

12. dialin on a FBSD box

13. Win98 box with Modem to a linux Box