FAQ/Howto's to configure e-mail and news program for UUCP feed??

FAQ/Howto's to configure e-mail and news program for UUCP feed??

Post by Nik Ahmad Fah » Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Is there a FAQ or Howto which explained how to configure e-mail and news
program to work with UUCP feeds. i already managed to setup Taylor's UUCP
for my Redhat 3.0.3 system to dial out and collect my e-mail and news but
don't have any idea on how to get PINE to read my mail and trn to read
news from the spool.

Would appreciate any help as I a newbie in Linux .. only 2 weeks old.

FAQ/Howto's to configure e-mail and news program for UUCP feed??

Post by Ralf Comtes » Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there a FAQ or Howto which explained how to configure e-mail and news
>program to work with UUCP feeds. i already managed to setup Taylor's UUCP
>for my Redhat 3.0.3 system to dial out and collect my e-mail and news but
>don't have any idea on how to get PINE to read my mail and trn to read
>news from the spool.

>Would appreciate any help as I a newbie in Linux .. only 2 weeks old.
>--

Hello Nik,
welcome to the club.

Are you sure your mails and news are processed by uucp after they arrived
on your system? I do not know much about trn since I use tin. So, I keep
to the mail problem. Have a look in the uucp spool directory:

ls -R /var/spool/uucp/$YOUROTHERSITE/

If this hierarchie is full of files ending with *.Z (or whatever compression
you are using), uucp does not process them correctly. Maybe adding

commands rmail rnews

to your sys file for taylor_uucp might help.

If that is not the case, try
mailq

a short time, after your transmission is over. If it says mailqueue is empty
I have no idea. If there are mails there, you should run
sendmail -q -bd as root to receive them.
Best thing is you add sendmail -bd -q15 to our rc.local script. Then the queue is processed every 15 minutes.

Did you set up a cnews of inn? I use cnews here and have no problems. Again
you should run /usr/lib/news/bin/input/newsrun regularly from the news
crontab. Plus some other programms like sendbatches and newsdaily. Have a look
at the cnews setup instructions or the Network Administration Guide.

Cheers
Ralf

With news, I have

Ralf Comtesse                      | Gipsstr. 15
10119 Berlin                       | Tel: 49-30-28599230
Germany                            | Fax: 49-30-28599231