i am lost , help

Post by mado » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:31:07

i am running inn-2.3.1 on my redhat71 and i managed to make it work
(basicly, and this is for study purpose of course)
i created a few newsgroups and had them tested, people can read and post

now, what i am trying to do is "feed" several groups from and to a big news
server ( let's cal it news A)
i don't know if feed is the right word, what i am thinking is that there are
a few NGs on "news A" and i want to make a copy of them to my own news
server so that:
1, if any one post to these NGs on my news, my news will send a copy to news
2, if any one post to these NGs on news A, news A will send a copy to my
news

i think "feed" is about what i am looking for, but after reading inn.conf,
newsfeeds, innfeed.conf and  several others

I AM TOTALLY LOST !!!

is there any other doc, manual or whatever documentation that might be
easier and more helpful for me ?

I AM LOST, LOST, LOST ...........

--
http://madogcc.myip.org

i am lost , help

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 20:38:37

Hi!,

Quote:> i am running inn-2.3.1 on my redhat71 and i managed to make it work
> (basicly, and this is for study purpose of course)
> i created a few newsgroups and had them tested, people can read and post

> now, what i am trying to do is "feed" several groups from and to a big news
> server ( let's cal it news A)
> i don't know if feed is the right word, what i am thinking is that there
> are a few NGs on "news A" and i want to make a copy of them to my own news
> server so that:
> 1, if any one post to these NGs on my news, my news will send a copy to
> news A
> 2, if any one post to these NGs on news A, news A will send a copy to my
> news

> i think "feed" is about what i am looking for, but after reading inn.conf,
> newsfeeds, innfeed.conf and  several others

> I AM TOTALLY LOST !!!

Have you really considered using LeafNode instead.  I think it will suit your
purposes more than "inn".

See ya

Dean Thompson

i am lost , help

Post by John Hasle » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:51:30

Quote:maddog writes:
> i think "feed" is about what i am looking for, but after reading
> inn.conf, newsfeeds, innfeed.conf and several others

What you want to do is install the 'suck' package.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

i am lost , help

Post by mado » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:44:10

thanks, already done that and working on it

--
http://madogcc.myip.org

Quote:| maddog writes:

| > i think "feed" is about what i am looking for, but after reading
| > inn.conf, newsfeeds, innfeed.conf and several others
|
| What you want to do is install the 'suck' package.
| --
| John Hasler

| Dancing Horse Hill
| Elmwood, WI

i am lost , help

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:38:25

Hi!,

Quote:> > i think "feed" is about what i am looking for, but after reading
> > inn.conf, newsfeeds, innfeed.conf and several others

> What you want to do is install the 'suck' package.

Be careful when using SUCK as some news masters don't like the program talking
to their newsserver.  If you are thinking of making it a more permanent news
server, you will be better off getting the news master to actually provide you
with a feed.

See ya

Dean Thompson

i am lost , help

Post by mado » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:33:27

i am doing this just for study purpose and if i can get it work, i may keep
it working for some time, but it won't be permanent

i have lots of problem standing on my way and i am searching and reading
docs, manuals and howtos
but , i would appreciate if there are some quick answers, :-)

here are some of them:

1, control, control.cancel, ..., and several other groups which are created
by default seems not allowed to be removed
but, is there any way that i  can "hide" them from the group list ?
there's no need to show them on  the list to news readers any way, right ?

2, after made some change to the script "get.news.inn" ( installed by suck),
it starts to work
the problem is, by default

A)  it checks the localhost first and compares the group names with those on
the remote news server one bye one, then decide which of them should be
"sucked"
i wonder if i can skip this check, and some how tell SUCK that i just want
suck "group a and b and c ..."
i mean i know which groups i want, there's no need to check each time i run
it
can this be done ? and how ?

B) after the "check", if SUCK notices that there are some new news goups
created on the remote news server, it creats the same group for me locally
and download them ! i got to say that this is a great function !!!
but, in my case, i don't want it to do this extra work, :-(
i want to do it by myself cause i am not trying to make a mirror
(in fact, if A can is solved, i guess this should be soved together)

many many many thanks to all the people who helped me and who will ,  thanks
!

--
http://madogcc.myip.org

| Hi!,
|
| > > i think "feed" is about what i am looking for, but after reading
| > > inn.conf, newsfeeds, innfeed.conf and several others
| >
| > What you want to do is install the 'suck' package.
|
| Be careful when using SUCK as some news masters don't like the program
talking
| to their newsserver.  If you are thinking of making it a more permanent
news
| server, you will be better off getting the news master to actually provide
you
| with a feed.
|
| See ya
|
| Dean Thompson

i am lost , help

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:56:23

Hi!,

Quote:> i have lots of problem standing on my way and i am searching and reading
> docs, manuals and howtos
> but , i would appreciate if there are some quick answers, :-)

> here are some of them:

> 1, control, control.cancel, ..., and several other groups which are created
> by default seems not allowed to be removed
> but, is there any way that i  can "hide" them from the group list ?
> there's no need to show them on  the list to news readers any way, right ?

They should be visible and not removed as these groups form the basis of how
the entire usenet system works.

Quote:> 2, after made some change to the script "get.news.inn" ( installed by
> suck), it starts to work the problem is, by default

> A)  it checks the localhost first and compares the group names with those
> on the remote news server one bye one, then decide which of them should be
> "sucked" i wonder if i can skip this check, and some how tell SUCK that i
> just want suck "group a and b and c ..." i mean i know which groups i want,
> there's no need to check each time i run it can this be done ? and how ?

You should be able to specify this in the configuration file for suck.  If
memory serves me correct, the suck program has its own config file which it
uses to determine which newsgroups to pull.  When I was playing with SUCK I
was always able to get it to pull only those groups that I wanted.  I think
the default action is to pull all of them when it can't find any reference.

Quote:> B) after the "check", if SUCK notices that there are some new news goups
> created on the remote news server, it creats the same group for me locally
> and download them ! i got to say that this is a great function !!!
> but, in my case, i don't want it to do this extra work, :-(
> i want to do it by myself cause i am not trying to make a mirror
> (in fact, if A can is solved, i guess this should be soved together)

yes, B and A are linked with one another.  It will only pull the newsgroups
that it is configured to see.

See ya

Dean Thompson

i am lost , help

Post by mado » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 02:19:12

now download is ok, but how to upload or "put" ?

is it still a command like " suck ................" or something else ?

thanks

i am lost , help

Post by mado » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 02:50:27

i just found that it's NOT OK

suck from the same news server, some groups are ok while some are not

the problem happens when posting to localhost:

Posting Messages to localhost
/disk/suck/cn99/Msgs/01-51: No such file or directory
/disk/suck/cn99/Msgs/02-51: No such file or directory
/disk/suck/cn99/Msgs/03-51: No such file or directory
/disk/suck/cn99/Msgs/04-51: No such file or directory

any idea what might cause this ?

| now download is ok, but how to upload or "put" ?
|
| is it still a command like " suck ................" or something else ?
|
| thanks

i am lost , help

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:37:15

Hi!,

Quote:> now download is ok, but how to upload or "put" ?

> is it still a command like " suck ................" or something else ?

Welcome to the hardest part of getting suck to work.  First you need to have a
NNTP host which authorises you to post to their server.  The program "suck"
should be able to send back the messages as well.  If memory serves me
correctly, there are two programs or parameters which can be passed to suck.
One is responsible for getting the articles and the other actually posts the
articles back onto the server.  However, I have never managed to get the post
to work properly, due to insufficient privs on the newsserver feed which was
out of my control.

See ya

Dean Thompson

i am lost , help

Post by mado » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:46:49

| Hi!,
|
| > now download is ok, but how to upload or "put" ?
| >
| > is it still a command like " suck ................" or something else ?
|
| Welcome to the hardest part of getting suck to work.  First you need to
have a
| NNTP host which authorises you to post to their server.

i know that, if i can't post to the server with a news client (oe for
example) , i won't ask , :-(

| The program "suck"
| should be able to send back the messages as well.  If memory serves me
| correctly, there are two programs or parameters which can be passed to
suck.
| One is responsible for getting the articles and the other actually posts
the
| articles back onto the server.  However, I have never managed to get the
post
| to work properly, due to insufficient privs on the newsserver feed which
was
| out of my control.

i am about to give up,  i am so tired !!!

btw, i can't reply to your mail, i don't know why

| See ya
|
| Dean Thompson
|
| --

| | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
|
| | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
|
| | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
|
| | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077

| | Melbourne, Australia       |

i am lost , help

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:38:53

Hi!,

Quote:> | Welcome to the hardest part of getting suck to work.  First you need to
> have a
> | NNTP host which authorises you to post to their server.

> i know that, if i can't post to the server with a news client (oe for
> example) , i won't ask , :-(

Yes, but you know that there are two ways in which a program can post to a
newsserver.  There is the standard approach that newsreaders use to actually
post to the newserver and then there is the method that newsserver uses to
talk to other newsservers.

Posting to the newsserver through netscape or tin might be okay, but has the
newsserver authorised it so that you can feed him/her as well ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

i am lost , help

Post by mado » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:48:35

| Hi!,
|
| > | Welcome to the hardest part of getting suck to work.  First you need
| > have a
| > | NNTP host which authorises you to post to their server.
| >
| > i know that, if i can't post to the server with a news client (oe for
| > example) , i won't ask , :-(
|
| Yes, but you know that there are two ways in which a program can post to a
| newsserver.  There is the standard approach that newsreaders use to
actually
| post to the newserver and then there is the method that newsserver uses to
| talk to other newsservers.

i am confused again!
what you said about newserver talk to other newservers, i thought it's
called feed

suck is something else, it's more like a proxy, as long as netscape can
post, suck can

that's my understanding, correct me if i was wrong

| Posting to the newsserver through netscape or tin might be okay, but has
the
| newsserver authorised it so that you can feed him/her as well ?

i don't even know how to use suck to post (which is exactly what am asking)

how could i tell the result ?

or ...is "suck" used to suck news from the remote server only ?
post back to the remote server is something else, which have nothing to do
with the softeware "suck" ???

| See ya
|
| Dean Thompson
|
| --

| | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
|
| | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
|
| | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
|
| | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077

| | Melbourne, Australia       |

i am lost , help

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:01:59

Hi!,

Quote:>| Yes, but you know that there are two ways in which a program can post to a
>| newsserver.  There is the standard approach that newsreaders use to
>| actually post to the newserver and then there is the method that
>| newsserver uses to talk to other newsservers.

> i am confused again!
> what you said about newserver talk to other newservers, i thought it's
> called feed

> suck is something else, it's more like a proxy, as long as netscape can
> post, suck can

> that's my understanding, correct me if i was wrong

That is what I thought as well, until I started to play around with suck.  I
ran into problems when I tried to get suck to post back onto the newsserver.
I kept getting errors from my newsserver upstream telling me that I was
"unauthorised to post" messages back onto the server, even though I could
through NNTP agents.  So overall, I am not sure how suck does its posting back
to the server.

Quote:

> | Posting to the newsserver through netscape or tin might be okay, but has
> | the newsserver authorised it so that you can feed him/her as well ?
> |

> i don't even know how to use suck to post (which is exactly what am asking)

You should have a program actually a script which is lurking around which came
with the suck distribution which can be used to get mail from your NNTP server
and also post mail to your NNTP server.  From memory, I think it used the
rmail program but I am not sure.  However, it is a simple script.

Quote:

> how could i tell the result ?

There should be a log file being written somewhere.

Quote:

> or ...is "suck" used to suck news from the remote server only ?

Suck is meant to do both, but I really think it has been more extensively
tested at getting mail rather than sending it back to the NNTP server.

Quote:> post back to the remote server is something else, which have nothing to do
> with the softeware "suck" ???

Suck uses "rmail" a component of inn from memory to do the posting back to the
system.

Getting the two to work together I found was terribly hard.  For a smaller
setup, you should really try LeafNode (http://www.leafnode.org/).

See ya

Dean Thompson

Leave the ultra 5  from sun alone.  If your really interested in the most
bang for your buck and your sure about not wanting call EIS, (EIS.com) or
Marathon.  They sell OEM Boards from Sun.  The OEM boards are cheaper but
get this..they have built in SCSI instead of IDE.  So in all
actuallity they're better.  Just got a 300MHZ ultra sparc with 4 gig
Scsi, 64MB for $2350.  Its the same as an ultra 10 and manufactored by
Sun.  I added an internal SCSI 9gig drive and it screams compared to
my office ultra 10 that cost a heck of a lot more with the external disk
pack.

Call EIS.  They'll take care of you.

Did I say EIS??? ;)

There are a few other places that sell OEM and clones too.  Go to Yahoo
and do a search.  And just so you know Sun will support the OEM boards
because they're manufactured by Sun but I'm not sure about the clones.  So
stay away from them unless they are manufactured by Sun!!

JOHN

2. csplit file limit

3. Help! I am losing sleep over ppp.

4. Firwall Support Under Linux?

5. PWS4 i am lost, help

6. wu-ftpd problem

7. Need help installing Mandrake 8.1---I am lost

8. D-Link DWL-650 & Redhat 7.3 - working but slow

9. linksys router keepd disconnecting me from DSL (please help, I am lost)

10. Epson740 Stylus Color-am i losing my mind!!!!???

11. am losing console on RS/6000-320

12. LOST LOST LOST

13. simple eval problem, but I am losing it!