Help! PPP won't work with ISP

Post by Keith Patterso » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I can dial up my ISP okay, and under kppp, just when it "starts pppd" it
stops, and doesn't seem to login. I have tried a number of kppp
configurations, but to no avail.

Has anyone else had problems dialling up like this?
(ISPs are:  freeserve, and freenetnames.co.uk)

Help! PPP won't work with ISP

Post by terencemo » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

i have same problem...then pppd deamon dead / timeout to disconnect...
which setup is wrong ?

Quote:>I can dial up my ISP okay, and under kppp, just when it "starts pppd" it
>stops, and doesn't seem to login. I have tried a number of kppp
>configurations, but to no avail.

>Has anyone else had problems dialling up like this?
>(ISPs are:  freeserve, and freenetnames.co.uk)

1. PPP: Static IP won't work on linux on my ISP

My ISP has assigned a static IP address to my account, but connecting
with pppd I always receive a dynamic address instead. If I attempt to
specify local and remote addresses in the ppp options, the IPCP
negotiation simply continues forever or until it bombs. If I leave them
out, I'm assigned a dynamic IP. Putting my IP address in the
chap-secrets file has not been helpful either. The odd thing is that my
ISP and I are both running linux, but my static IP only seems to work in
Windows. Even with my ISP admin's help we have been unable to debug
this.

Is it likely that I have left out some small item in the options? I've
tried a number of possible variants of options, etc. Somewhere in the
IPCP negotiation it simply fails to assign me the proper IP address.

If it is a server side error, does anyone know likely suspects?

I'm running pppd 2.3.5 and the latest development kernel, 2.1.127 as of
today, although this has occurred with various kernels.

--
-------------------------
Conrad Heiney

http://fringehead.org

Oh let us never, never doubt what nobody is sure about.
-------------------------

2. Too Many Messages

3. PPP Connection Trouble With RH 5.2 - Connect to ISP OK, But Apps Won't Work

4. OS5: Change to 'proc' structure breaks u386mon

5. HELP: pppd won't talk to modem, and won't link up with ISP

6. Any way to wait for ethernet PCCard to be detected?

7. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial

8. slashdot is down -again-

9. CD won't work, system won't reboot...please help

10. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

11. help: ppp filtering won't work

12. PPP won't work! Help!

13. ISP won't detect my PPP