Passwd Server for Win-NT,95,98 & Linux

Post by Roland Jankowsk » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I want to set up a small network in our house with a Linux server and 7
clients. The clients run NT, Win95, Win98 and of course Linux.

Is it possible to set up the Linux Server as a "password server" for all
the machines? I want to use the Samba package for sharing printers on
the server and for mounting the users home directory. What's the best
solution for pwd administration in such a network?

Is there a way to disable or restrict access when logging in on other NT
or Win machines in the net with user passwords?

Thanks a lot for your help&tips

Roland

PS: please reply in a "simple, understandable" way because i'm a
linux-beginner and i' just starting to get familiar with Linux (but i
love it more every day...)

Post by A. We » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Hi!

>I want to set up a small network in our house with a Linux server and 7
>clients. The clients run NT, Win95, Win98 and of course Linux.

>Is it possible to set up the Linux Server as a "password server" for all
>the machines? I want to use the Samba package for sharing printers on
>the server and for mounting the users home directory. What's the best
>solution for pwd administration in such a network?

>Is there a way to disable or restrict access when logging in on other NT
>or Win machines in the net with user passwords?

>Thanks a lot for your help&tips

>Roland

>PS: please reply in a "simple, understandable" way because i'm a
>linux-beginner and i' just starting to get familiar with Linux (but i
>love it more every day...)

Roland,

Both of these books have saved me hours of time...
bat-book, I'd be set.  Trying to wade through that is crazy.
Network Toolkit, by IDG books.

Both of these books have saved me hours of time...

Now only if there were a less technical book about sendmail, than the
bat-book, I'd be set.  Trying to wade through that is crazy.

"Every man's conscience is vile and depraved.  You cannot
depend on it to be your guide, when it's you who must keep
it satisfied."  [Bob Dylan]

1. Linux as the file and internet server with win NT/95/98 clients

I am new to Linux.  I have not worked with Unix.  It is unclear to me how
you can run Linux as a file server and allow internet access through it with
the clients being win 95/98 and NT Workstation (25 total clients).  Internet
access is through a router on a dedicated 56k frame relay line using a
windows based proxy program.

The company is reluctant to spend big $ for Back Office and I can't blame
them for that but they want to know how Linux could solve their problems.
They have specific windows based applications running off the one win 95
machine to different clients.  I would imagine that can't be done with a
Linux Server.   One program uses the Sybase engine another FoxPro and
another Provide X.

I am interested in hearing of some solutions or should they bow to
Microsoft.

Joseph Norcott
Business Technologies Of New England, Inc.

www.btne.com

2. ACL-s in Solaris 10

3. Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

4. keyword script alarm

5. Xwindows client for Win NT/95/98

6. How to configure Hardware RAID

7. Remote editor for Win-95/98/NT and MacOS clients?

8. Linux, PC's and X-Terminals

9. Connecting Windows NT and Win 95/98 to SCO 5.0.4

10. Samba and Win 95/98/NT: Workgroup or Domain ?

11. dualbooting Linux & Microsoft platforms (Win 98, NT, Win 2000)

12. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

13. FIX for problems connecting 95/98/NT to Samba servers