How to turn switch into hub in embedded linux(netgear dg834g)?

How to turn switch into hub in embedded linux(netgear dg834g)?

Post by dmitr » Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:43:13

Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi
interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the traffic
to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my laptop to
the switch and running erhereal on it to acheave this. How can I degrade
switch into hub? I read that I could overflow arp tables for the switch
to failover to hub(repeater) mode. Is there any more gracefull way from
within router itself? The box is running linux 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl
commands available, and access to /proc).

Dmitri

How to turn switch into hub in embedded linux(netgear dg834g)?

Post by galionlibr.. » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 01:40:38

Quote:> Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi
> interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the traffic
> to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my laptop to
> the switch and running erhereal on it to acheave this. How can I degrade
> switch into hub? I read that I could overflow arp tables for the switch
> to failover to hub(repeater) mode. Is there any more gracefull way from
> within router itself? The box is running linux 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl
> commands available, and access to /proc).

Get a cheap hub, plug that and only that into the router/switch, and
then
plug everything else into the hub.  The router/switch will handle the
ADSL
end of things, and the hub will connect your LAN to it.  Only do this
with
a small LAN, because on a larger one it can create performance issues.

Of course, that only handles the ethernet end of things.  If you're
using
the 802.11 and want to sniff that also, then that's another kettle of
fish.

Post by dmitr » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:11:00

>> Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi
>> interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the
>> traffic to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my
>> laptop to the switch and running erhereal on it to acheave this. How
>> can I degrade switch into hub? I read that I could overflow arp tables
>> for the switch to failover to hub(repeater) mode. Is there any more
>> gracefull way from within router itself? The box is running linux
>> 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl commands available, and access to /proc).

> Get a cheap hub, plug that and only that into the router/switch, and
> then
> plug everything else into the hub.  The router/switch will handle the
> ADSL
> end of things, and the hub will connect your LAN to it.  Only do this
> with
> a small LAN, because on a larger one it can create performance issues.

> Of course, that only handles the ethernet end of things.  If you're
> using
> the 802.11 and want to sniff that also, then that's another kettle of
> fish.

Thanks for help anyway, but,please read subj and body of my posting
again. The question is for comp.os.linux.networking, not for
*.broadband.voip.* or how.to.ebay.*. I know the diff between hub, switch
(managed,unmanaged,lowend/highend), router, etc. I'm also aware of arp
spoofing/overfloding/etc... As the box is running linux, so all
interfaces, links, routes, bridges, pppoatm, etc are created by linux
commands.So iss it possible to monitor/mirror a ether switch port having
root access to the box?

1. cheap switch or expensive hub? (switch/hub recommendations)

It seems that you can now get a:

D-Link (D-Link DSS-16 Fast Ethernet Switch 2), Nortel (Nortel NetGear
FS516), or even a Farallon (Farallon Fast Starlet Switch/ 16 PN9160),
or Intel (Intel Express 410T Standalone Switch) unmanaged switch for
the price of a 3com Superstack II 10/100 hub.

Anyone happy using these see success?

Is a cheap switch equal to, or better, then an excellant hub?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. IP Masq Question

3. eth0 works with Linksys hub but not Netgear switch?!?

4. PPP on RedHat 5.2

5. Good switched network hub for Linux/SGI

6. Troubles with KDE package/port

7. linux box vs switched hub

8. Striping disks in Linux

9. Linux 2.0.33 and D-Link DSH-5 Hub/Switch

10. configure linux as transparent router/switch or hub?

11. Connecting Linux to my Netgear RT314 switch/router

12. Dual NICs: hub vs Netgear MR314 performance

13. network problems -- smc 1211tx, 3com, netgear hubs -- SLOW!